Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the response. I did the same and got the same response on 15th Dec. I then asked the office for zero emissions and they hadn’t received anything at that time. I’ve chased them again this week but not heard back

[email protected]
I've just emailed them too...maybe if we bombard them, it will prompt them to process it (if indeed Tesla has requested it be put on the list)!

I've just emailed them too...maybe if we bombard them, it will prompt them to process it (if indeed Tesla has requested it be put on the list)!
Good idea. I have just done the same and emailed OZEV. It would be illogical to have Model Y's delivered from some point in February but not on the list to qualify for the EV charger grant.

I received an invite for a test drive at Thorpe Park and have one booked for the 22nd Jan. I assume this is because a couple of years ago I attended a Model 3 test drive event before ordering. I am actually considering a Model Y LR to replace our Model 3 LR in a years time when it goes back (salary sacrifice car) so it’s quite timely. Have to say I’m not completely sold on it as I don’t think it looks as good as the 3 and reports of poor ride quality are concerning as we live in the country surrounded by potholes. Also I feel the interior hasn’t moved on much in a few years since the 3 came out. We definitely want a hatchback so another Model 3 is out. Its a good car, albeit with a terrible quality interior in which everything rattles after 2 years. However the saloon boot has been a right pain on numerous occasions (we have a dog and my wife runs a business making curtains and often has to load the car with materials/ladder etc). We got a Tesla as our family EV due to concerns about public charging but in reality have only used superchargers a handful of times - when we drive on holiday to France and that’s about it. I’m also considering a Kia EV6 and a BMW i4 and will test drive them too in coming weeks. My teenage kids though are absolutely adamant that I must get another Tesla (what is with kids and Teslas?!). My 13 year old son says he will disown me if we get a Kia. Badge snob!

• Funny
Reactions: Leejmoff
Shanghai most likely ... however Australia and UK clearly not the "only" other RHD markets ... New Zealand, India, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, South Africa etc etc
The plan was that UK would be totally supplied with MY from Berlin from Q2 however as we know Berlin is not producing the goods.
Australia have now been told they are on the back burner because Shanghai will have to continue to supply MY to EU because of the German failure.
I don't know (yet) if the UK will continue to be supplied from Shanghai in Q2 but I have my feelers out.
I do know that some folks in Tesla are not very extremely unhappy with certain German politicians though.
Watch for Elon's Gulfstream jet winging it's way across the pond for a little chat.

Good idea. I have just done the same and emailed OZEV. It would be illogical to have Model Y's delivered from some point in February but not on the list to qualify for the EV charger grant.
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 21.24.07.png

I've had a reply today. OZEV are claiming that Tesla have still not applied to add the Model Y to the Homecharge Scheme. Does anyone have a contact at Tesla to exert some pressure to get this done?

View attachment 754716

I've had a reply today. OZEV are claiming that Tesla have still not applied to add the Model Y to the Homecharge Scheme. Does anyone have a contact at Tesla to exert some pressure to get this done?
@ajbrun seems to be the only person with solid info from Tesla that they have actually applied for the Model Y to be on the list…..maybe we just have to be patient. It is the government after all 💤

Had the test drive today at the Trafford Centre.

Positives: The boot is cavernous.. with the seats down you could sleep in it. Taller ride height than the model 3.
Negatives: Cabin noise! At 10mph across the car park it sounded like the road surface was being amplified into the cabin. *much* louder than the model 3 (as night and day difference). Curiously it never really rose much above that noise floor (I wasn't able to get above 40mph on the test drive due to traffic levels). Brakes.. might have been just this car but had to stop quickly and the brake didn't engage until the pedal was nearly on the floor, by which time I'd travelled several feet further than I intended.
Neutral: Suspension is the same as the model 3.. bone shaker over humps, but I'm used to it by now. Size.. it's big.. so big there was discussion whether it would fit in our driveway..

Alas due to the noise, which my wife found unpleasant and difficult to cope with she has vetoed the model Y as a future car. So I have to look elsewhere.. I could likely cope but it has to be for trips for the both of us.

Reactions: HenryT
Hmm . Apparently the noise is a known issue Seems tesla have yet to address it

@ajbrun seems to be the only person with solid info from Tesla that they have actually applied for the Model Y to be on the list…..maybe we just have to be patient. It is the government after all 💤
Not that this is helpful, but I've had mix messaging from Tesla. I think others have had this on a number of things. Whilst I asked once about the grant and got the response I shared, when the Model Y was first available to order I asked twice to two different email addresses to check that financing would be available. I got a phone call a few days later saying it would be. I also got an email response nearly a month mater saying "hopefully in the near future".

I guess, moral of the story is, at Tesla not everyone knows everything. I'm hopeful since I got a positive answer, I happened to come across someone in the know however but I would have expected the messaging to be more wide spread at this point. Doesn't hurt to keep asking I guess.

FWIW, it was someone called Katy who responded to me from UK sales and delivery - [email protected]

I jumped in a test drive with my husband this afternoon and despite him saying that the model Y had noise changes to make it quieter I found it to be a lot more basey? It was making my ears resonate and I thought they were gonna pop. The model 3 was way quieter in comparison.

I jumped in a test drive with my husband this afternoon and despite him saying that the model Y had noise changes to make it quieter I found it to be a lot more basey? It was making my ears resonate and I thought they were gonna pop. The model 3 was way quieter in comparison.
Wow, this is all very interesting. This could be a deal breaker for me if it’s that bad. I suppose I will reserve judgement till the 22nd when I can see (or hear) for myself. Worrying news but thanks.

Are you noticing this because you've (presumably) come from an EV already (model 3), or is this likely to be concerning for those who've never experienced an EV before?