Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to get a chat window with Tesla today to ask about if I could provide them with a separately purchased registration to go onto the car once it arrived - and they register it on that from day one, answer was a straightforward 'no'. I also asked if a VIN had been assigned - same answer, 'no' - even though I can see a VIN assigned through the source code/api check.

I guess they are covering their bases, just in case?

I managed to get a chat window with Tesla today to ask about if I could provide them with a separately purchased registration to go onto the car once it arrived - and they register it on that from day one, answer was a straightforward 'no'. I also asked if a VIN had been assigned - same answer, 'no' - even though I can see a VIN assigned through the source code/api check.

People in Q2 went through the personalised number plate thingy and same answer. Cars are registered in bulk for plates. Final registration is done the day you get the car. You then need to wait for V5, which was a matter of days, before you can apply to change plates.

Reactions: pdf_uk and WllXM
There should be a speech bubble in the bottom right of this page:

Not sure when it appears as I’ve not used it myself.
If you ordered a MY in April you should have a car assigned.
Thanks Toblerone. Fyi, I still can't get a chat option, so gave them a call. Hey presto, over the phone, the chaps said yes, you have one allocated today. Result! Have the VIN, and he said it hits UK soil on 26th Sept, so delivery whenever after that. Can't say how happy that's made us! Good luck everyone else too.

Reactions: Toblerone

Yes, it makes it too complicated for them. Just take it with the 72 plate, then make the change yourself once you get the V5. It's just a matter of a week or two..

Reactions: pdf_uk
This may help people out and give some further clarity to those who got allocated VINs today (source code).

I phoned up Tesla (as everyone does when they've had movement on their account) just to confirm the balance payment cutoff, as per the other thread they said 3 days from final invoice but they also did say that I could expect movement over the next few days on a SMS confirming the VIN and scheduling details.

The basic takeaway is things are moving and I get the impression Tesla are trying to get some "quick wins" as much as possible before the end of quarter cut off, how that relates to shipping I've got no idea

Just my thoughts really.

Time to get selling my other car I guess

Can you ask them to make the plates up for you? It’s a bit of a pisstake having to spend another 25 quid on a new set because it’s “too complicated” for them
I recall some people said they did here. But maybe not if it's during a delivery super-event where they have to handle 800 collections on the same day...

Otherwise, take the opportunity to go to proplates and order vinyl ones to get rid of their cheap black plastic holders (and the ugly green flash) and have a nice flush look...

Same! Earlier this afternoon
Hah, sorry, I was catching up on the 5 pages in this thread that I missed while being busy at work today and did it old school, reading chronologically through each. I now see about 10 other posts this afternoon from others with the same SMS received. Blame it on the cancelled trains tonight, I’ve go too much time on my hands this minute.

Reactions: Toblerone
I must be in the minority who doesn’t mind the plate holder
I also want the plates made by Tesla. They can make it on the spot if you visit their service Center between Monday and Friday. Try to reach by around 4:00 pm as they close by 5:00.
Tesla will apply spacing according to the standard spacing, whereas online stores like number1plates will customize the spacing. However if you alter the spacing, then you may be fined upto £1000 and have to revert to plates with original spacing.
Tesla charge around £30+VAT for the plates. I will be getting my customised plate done by Tesla when I get back to the UK.

Believe the 488+ comes with 2 golf tees to hold up your balls whilst driving off
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Ordered 26th, May and got my hidden vin today, most people I'm seeing are getting 446,446, 448 vins...

Mine is 456! What does this mean?
Try spec savers and look again. I thought mine was 488 when it was 448!

• Funny
Reactions: Toppyawe