Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP AWD/Performance Coilover Impression and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After just installing the coilovers myself, I would highly recommend getting MPP Sport coilovers first then deciding if you need sways. I feel that the coilovers have solved much of the understeer.

I don't think it needs it. MPP has stated that it doesn't need it. And some of the guys on here who race their Model 3s say it doesn't need it with the right alignment settings.

My plan is to get the MPP FUCAs to make the front end have more grip.

Thanks! I’ll probably be ordering a set soon!

Going through the install now.

I can’t seem to find the right sequence of parts for the fronts. Reading through these posts, it sounds like it should be (from top to bottom):

• oem hat
  • oem rubber isolator
  • black spacer
  • metal shim
  • Teflon shim
  • main spring
  • flange ring
  • height adjuster ring.
Is that correct, because when I line everything up, I don’t see how the oem rubber isolator mates with the black spacer. Also, both shims are too small to slip onto any of the flanges that I’ve tried.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I’m certain I’m doing something wrong. Any advice is appreciated.

I can’t seem to find the right sequence of parts for the fronts. Reading through these posts, it sounds like it should be (from top to bottom):

• oem hat
  • oem rubber isolator
  • black spacer
  • metal shim
  • Teflon shim
  • main spring
  • flange ring
  • height adjuster ring.
Is that correct, because when I line everything up, I don’t see how the oem rubber isolator mates with the black spacer. Also, both shims are too small to slip onto any of the flanges that I’ve tried.

View attachment 507221View attachment 507222

You've got the black spacer upside down.

The Teflon and metal shim are cut to the exact diameter of the inside ring of the spacer. It will require some force (I used my fingers) to get it to slide in. That exact tight fitment prevents anything from slipping around.

You are going to love it! I just put my MPP Sport coilovers on finally a week ago. It's so amazing! I can't believe I didn't do it earlier.

• oem hat
  • oem rubber isolator
  • black spacer
  • metal shim
  • Teflon shim
  • main spring
  • flange ring
  • height adjuster ring.

View attachment 507221View attachment 507222

Here is the photo from our online instructions, you are trying to use the rubber isolator with the composite spacer which won't work!

Spring-Stackup.jpg

Here is the photo from our online instructions, you are trying to use the rubber isolator with the composite spacer which won't work!

Spring-Stackup.jpg

Far be it from me as an end user to an even appear to disagree with the front office but I'm assuming that you mean the rubber isolator that came with the original kit? The OEM rubber isolator on the other hand works just fine with the spacer top. I've had the car with the sports coilovers installed, both with and without the OEM isolator, and the difference is painfully obvious. Significant increase in NVH without the OEM isolator, especially noticeable on rough roads. The original hard rubber and thinner isolator that was part of the earlier kit does not fit however with the new spacer top. I assume that's what you're referring to?

They released a new shorter composite spacer to alleviate the issue of running out of threads for lowering the ride height. Perhaps this design doesn't allow it to be used with the OEM rubber isolator. I'm receiving my composite spacer tomorrow and will compare.

The picture jgrgnt posted is of the new composite spacer.

They released a new shorter composite spacer to alleviate the issue of running out of threads for lowering the ride height. Perhaps this design doesn't allow it to be used with the OEM rubber isolator. I'm receiving my composite spacer tomorrow and will compare.

The picture jgrgnt posted is of the new composite spacer.

That makes sense. My top spacer section is aluminum rather than composite.

Yeah, I have the newer composite spacer. After experimenting with different arrangements, it became clear that it was never meant to work with the OEM rubber isolator. I ended up using the rubber rings provided in the box from MPP, so my final arrangement went: top hat, new rubber isolator, spacer, spring. I didn't see MPP's post in time, otherwise I would have omitted the rubber isolator entirely. But I wanted to get everything buttoned up before my drive to work this morning. As it is, I had no trouble reaching the ride height I was aiming for, and I have at least 10 threads available below the adjuster should I want to lower it further.

Torquing session at 1:30am, wheels on at 2:00am, and a 30 minute test ride until 2:30am. Sleep is overrated.

But it was worth it. The drive to work this morning was a revelation. Some local roads are poorly maintained, and with the stock setup, the car felt far too soft and bouncy. Now, it's much more composed and settled. Squat and dive are reduced about 70%. Steering seems to have a bit more feel, too. Turn in is super crisp and responsive. Reserving final judgement until I get in another hour or so of driving, but my initial takeaway is that this is exactly how the car should have come from the factory.

(center caps are off, in case I needed to pull the wheels and adjust the ride height)

IMG_3823.jpg

20200108_113423.jpg
Yeah, I have the newer composite spacer. After experimenting with different arrangements, it became clear that it was never meant to work with the OEM rubber isolator. I ended up using the rubber rings provided in the box from MPP, so my final arrangement went: top hat, new rubber isolator, spacer, spring. I didn't see MPP's post in time, otherwise I would have omitted the rubber isolator entirely. But I wanted to get everything buttoned up before my drive to work this morning. As it is, I had no trouble reaching the ride height I was aiming for, and I have at least 10 threads available below the adjuster should I want to lower it further.

Torquing session at 1:30am, wheels on at 2:00am, and a 30 minute test ride until 2:30am. Sleep is overrated.

But it was worth it. The drive to work this morning was a revelation. Some local roads are poorly maintained, and with the stock setup, the car felt far too soft and bouncy. Now, it's much more composed and settled. Squat and dive are reduced about 70%. Steering seems to have a bit more feel, too. Turn in is super crisp and responsive. Reserving final judgement until I get in another hour or so of driving, but my initial takeaway is that this is exactly how the car should have come from the factory.

(center caps are off, in case I needed to pull the wheels and adjust the ride height)

View attachment 507629

Looks great. I think your next tweak is a set of VS forged. Drops about 7 or 8 lb a corner in a 20in wheel size, for very reasonable money.

View attachment 507629
Fantastic! Please make sure to get an alignment so as not to wear your tires out!

Reactions: jgrgnt

Tip for those who have yet to install their coilovers:

Follow what MPP posted earlier in this thread (quoted above). I exchanged emails with Jesse and he confirmed that we should only be using the parts shown, arranged in this sequence (from top to bottom):
  • OEM shock hat
  • composite spacer
  • main spring
  • perch adapter
  • perch
I purchased my kit in mid-2019, but the kit has evolved since then. The tender springs, rubber isolators (OEM, as well as any provided in the box), and the thin plastic and metal rings are no longer used. If your kit contains these items, disregard them. If your kit has the tender springs, reach out to MPP so they can ship you the composite spacer to use instead.

Reactions: MountainPass

View attachment 507629
great ride height. is that a subtle 1" drop?