Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP AWD/Performance Coilover Impression and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 weird noises, which, I believe, associated with KW suspension (sorry, not MPP, I didn't know I can avoid reexporting to EU for MPP, but it's the same product with a small difference).

First one - at time 00:04.
Loud ping at right turn followed by a bunch of more subtle ones (could be a bearing, but I'm not sure yet).

The second one - at time 9:05.
Something banging at the left side on any bump. I retorqued already all major suspects - no results.

So if anyone here had something similar with MPP/KW - please, let me know. Thanks.

I have 2 weird noises, which, I believe, associated with KW suspension (sorry, not MPP, I didn't know I can avoid reexporting to EU for MPP, but it's the same product with a small difference).

Loud ping at right turn followed by a bunch of more subtle ones (could be a bearing, but I'm not sure yet).

Something banging at the left side on any bump. I retorqued already all major suspects - no results.

So if anyone here had something similar with MPP/KW - please, let me know. Thanks.
Can you remove the front wheels and take pictures? Maybe there is something amiss. MPP stopped using the smaller helper spring because of noise if you have this installed and instead used a composite spacer. How low did you go from stock?
Did you secure the abs line onto the upper control arm (little bolt and 3 clips)?
You tightened the fronk bolts?

Can you remove the front wheels and take pictures? Maybe there is something amiss. MPP stopped using the smaller helper spring because of noise if you have this installed and instead used a composite spacer. How low did you go from stock?
Did you secure the abs line onto the upper control arm (little bolt and 3 clips)?
You tightened the fronk bolts?
Don't have detailed pictures at the moment - will do a short video later.
KW never had helper springs. I don't have them.
I'm 3/4 inch below performance ride height.
Wheel speed sensor lines are secured.
Frunk 10mm bolts are all secured.

1st video is the front spring moving on it’s platform. 2nd video sounds like one of the anti-roll bar links is loose or possibly the damper rod has not been torqued correctly to the top mount.
Thanks. I checked torque of top mount, both rod nuts, all end-links, FUCA and all other arms except body side nuts on lower control arms. What I didn't do yet is ride height bushings bolts securing.

Thanks. I checked torque of top mount, both rod nuts, all end-links, FUCA and all other arms except body side nuts on lower control arms. What I didn't do yet is ride height bushings bolts securing.
Try checking the end link again. I had similar sound as the link was tight but not fully through the shock hole. If you can jack the suspension to different heights until the end link is free to remove, then make sure all the threads are fully through and tighten the nut again at ride height.

Reactions: Clivew
Try checking the end link again. I had similar sound as the link was tight but not fully through the shock hole. If you can jack the suspension to different heights until the end link is free to remove, then make sure all the threads are fully through and tighten the nut again at ride height.
I will check that again, thanks.

1st video is the front spring moving on it’s platform. 2nd video sounds like one of the anti-roll bar links is loose or possibly the damper rod has not been torqued correctly to the top mount.

I agree that the first video is from spring bind. Sounds the same as seen in the video here MPP Comfort Coilover making ping sound when turning wheel

suggestions to fix that are to turn the ride height collar all the way down and rotate the spring 90 deg. I would contact/email MPP. From what I hear they are quick to respond and will get your issues ironed out.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mash
I agree that the first video is from spring bind. Sounds the same as seen in the video here MPP Comfort Coilover making ping sound when turning wheel

suggestions to fix that are to turn the ride height collar all the way down and rotate the spring 90 deg. I would contact/email MPP. From what I hear they are quick to respond and will get your issues ironed out.
I'm working with MPP already on those issues, despite the fact it's not even their suspension, which alone speaks volumes. But so far I tried every suggestions he made and looking for group help. And I appreciate a lot of good answers. Turning spring 90 degree is a good idea as well. I am still puzzled why there is no Teflon rings under sharp edges of springs of KW sitting on rubber.

I'm working with MPP already on those issues, despite the fact it's not even their suspension, which alone speaks volumes. But so far I tried every suggestions he made and looking for group help. And I appreciate a lot of good answers. Turning spring 90 degree is a good idea as well. I am still puzzled why there is no Teflon rings under sharp edges of springs of KW sitting on rubber.

oh...I went back and re-read your first post....huge fail on my part lol. I thought you were running mpp. But yes that does speak volumes and they will be my go to once I commit to actually buying coilovers.

Reactions: Atraf and Mash
After installing my MPP sport coilovers last weekend, I finally had a chance to take it in the twisties. First things first, I am using what I consider to be a good street setting of 10R/12C, and lowered only 1/2 in. This is not too harsh IMO and it still handles great. Will those with a dainty back side like the ride, NO. Will those who are use to a sportscar like a Corvette or M3/M4, yes, most definitely yes. It is not harsh, but stout. Better over dips than stock, but not as smooth over rough road surfaces. My Corvette was way worse for comparison and had custom tuned DRM Bilstein shocks and Z51 suspension.

Before the coilovers:
Very unsettling over bumps mid corner when pushing it. The pogo-ing caused loss of grip and no confidence. My tires would also squeal making me think my beloved Michelin PS4s were not all that on the Tesla (tire of choice on the Vette in my group and many other groups). Ride quality of stock P3D was ok, but not great. Mostly an average ride quality, but harsh over bumps.

After Coilovers:
Que my best valley girl voice, O-Ma-God!!!!, does this thing handle now. My test run is up Little Tujunga Canyon (affectionately know as Little T) to try out any suspension mods. Very tight and undulating with elevation changes. With the new suspension, I was able to push and push and never did I lose grip, bottom out, or run wide. Did it pogo, not at all. Was it rough, not at all. How was the body roll, almost nonexistent comparatively speaking. Do I feel the need for thicker sway bars on the street, a resounding no. The coilovers do the trick, probably due to the stiffer springs. Could I go to stiffer R/C settings, maybe, but so far, so good. Would probably stiffen things up on track, maybe by 2 to 8R/10C (remember, lower numbers are stiffer), but for the street, I am happy. Oh, no noises to speak of thank goodness. Just the sound of my fan running high in track mode.
Is this mod worth the money, if you drive the canyons or track your car, most definitely. Not a question in my mind. If you just drive to work or to the corner Starbucks, probably not. For those with a dainty back side (being politically correct here), the sport coilovers with the comfort springs would probably be the ticket. Can't wait to run with my Vette group. :D

I turned coils, added silicone on surfaces and pinging of coil stopped. But this second video noise is not going away. I've retorqued everything possible. I've checked end-links - they sit correct.

I have a feeling that it could be sway bar moving in it's holders left-right and hitting limiters. There is a clear play available for it like 5mm to move sideways. It's also sounds like metal on rubber and noise is going through the frame and not through the air (almost can't hear it standing outside).

Screenshot_20200418-235427_Chrome.png

After installing my MPP sport coilovers last weekend, I finally had a chance to take it in the twisties. First things first, I am using what I consider to be a good street setting of 10R/12C, and lowered only 1/2 in. This is not too harsh IMO and it still handles great. Will those with a dainty back side like the ride, NO. Will those who are use to a sportscar like a Corvette or M3/M4, yes, most definitely yes. It is not harsh, but stout. Better over dips than stock, but not as smooth over rough road surfaces. My Corvette was way worse for comparison and had custom tuned DRM Bilstein shocks and Z51 suspension.

Before the coilovers:
Very unsettling over bumps mid corner when pushing it. The pogo-ing caused loss of grip and no confidence. My tires would also squeal making me think my beloved Michelin PS4s were not all that on the Tesla (tire of choice on the Vette in my group and many other groups). Ride quality of stock P3D was ok, but not great. Mostly an average ride quality, but harsh over bumps.

After Coilovers:
Que my best valley girl voice, O-Ma-God!!!!, does this thing handle now. My test run is up Little Tujunga Canyon (affectionately know as Little T) to try out any suspension mods. Very tight and undulating with elevation changes. With the new suspension, I was able to push and push and never did I lose grip, bottom out, or run wide. Did it pogo, not at all. Was it rough, not at all. How was the body roll, almost nonexistent comparatively speaking. Do I feel the need for thicker sway bars on the street, a resounding no. The coilovers do the trick, probably due to the stiffer springs. Could I go to stiffer R/C settings, maybe, but so far, so good. Would probably stiffen things up on track, maybe by 2 to 8R/10C (remember, lower numbers are stiffer), but for the street, I am happy. Oh, no noises to speak of thank goodness. Just the sound of my fan running high in track mode.
Is this mod worth the money, if you drive the canyons or track your car, most definitely. Not a question in my mind. If you just drive to work or to the corner Starbucks, probably not. For those with a dainty back side (being politically correct here), the sport coilovers with the comfort springs would probably be the ticket. Can't wait to run with my Vette group. :D

Great review. Echos my thoughts exactly.

Hi Guys, pickup car tonight (M3P getting MPP sport CO's, FUCA install)...asked for height to be set at 120mm (vs. recommended 110mm), and recommended comp/rebound settings. Aside from random noises anything to watch out for? Also, they got the install done yesterday, are letting it settle overnight, are going to drive it today to get it to settle a bit more and then are going to align it (so it's not off horribly)...so any inputs on how long I should drive it (miles) or (time) to let it settle and take back to confirm height / alignment? decided to not install UP gen 2 Swaybars - just seems overkill and for just mountain twisties I don't think I'll need them. Brand new unopened box - anyone want a good deal on them? Also anyone in Colorado that wants to test drive the MPPs is welcome too (after the Covid stuff settles)!

Hi Guys, pickup car tonight (M3P getting MPP sport CO's, FUCA install)...asked for height to be set at 120mm (vs. recommended 110mm), and recommended comp/rebound settings. Aside from random noises anything to watch out for? Also, they got the install done yesterday, are letting it settle overnight, are going to drive it today to get it to settle a bit more and then are going to align it (so it's not off horribly)...so any inputs on how long I should drive it (miles) or (time) to let it settle and take back to confirm height / alignment? decided to not install UP gen 2 Swaybars - just seems overkill and for just mountain twisties I don't think I'll need them. Brand new unopened box - anyone want a good deal on them? Also anyone in Colorado that wants to test drive the MPPs is welcome too (after the Covid stuff settles)!
The rear might settle a few mm, but otherwise, enjoy! If anything, you may want to stiffen them up a bit for the twisties. I personally like these settings for the road if you've got some fun turns in your commute:

Low Grip / Technical Track Damper Settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)

Front Compression: 9
Front Rebound: 8
Rear Compression: 6
Rear Rebound: 7

We have more settings on this page as well for anyone else who is curious!

The Future - Tesla Model 3 | Mountain Pass Performance

Reactions: bcpm3p
Thank you. First impression for "Comfort/Commute" - based upon my ride back from Denver (Traffic, 50mi highway, mixed quality road surfaces)...at recommended settings it feels awesome from a comfort perspective - firm but better than stock, no jitter on irregular surfaces/joints...perfect for me (wasn't looking for a caddy). - more Euro Sedan ride vs. stock....

This weekend the mountains, will try recommended settings and when I take it down for final adjustments I'll have them move to the settings above and do another mountain run!

First time I've ever had coil overs installed - first indications is well worth the $'s!

Moved to this thread as this is AWD/Perf MPP Coil Overs related

Ok, first mountain run with the MPP's (set to recommended Comp/Rebound, took a more difficult alternate route with more undulations / challenge for the suspension) - absolutely fantastic!!!!!! Total Control / locked down / balanced...never got the chassis upset! Steering felt great / great front end traction!!! Track mode pretty legit (extra regen braking pretty cool)...didnt take long to get 1g on the meter (not sure how accurate that is but I love a challenge)! Car so easy to drive, great traction and precision - was just a great run. Over summer I'm going to time myself M3P vs. SuperDuke R - should be interesting!!! No noticeable NVH differences...I didnt look for it too hard but no radio for 30 miles and all good. For my use case, regular driving, commuting (not much now), weekend fun in the mountains, I value control / feel over cadillac ride- I could not be happier with the MPP purchase and the M3P!

Happy with the height at 116mm fr / 118mm rr as it clears my driveway curb by 1/4" in reverse (I have a big curb lip) and still shrinks the Fender clearance for better visual.

I'll have try a bit stiffer just to compare vs. current and make sure I'm not missing anything!

Crap pic, take some more this weekend

IMG_0768.jpeg