TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Musk confirms/Tesla Refutes upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2

Discussion in 'Model S' started by emmz0r, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Trebek1762

Trebek1762 Let's play jeopardy

I'm convinced it's the navigation. everything works as it should with the sketch pad up. If one were rooted, would there be a way to reversibly disable navigation?

2. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Wasn't that confirmed by hackers? I read the navigation system is constantly refreshing and redrawing traffic data on the mao every 120ms instead of every 120 seconds like they were supposed to, even with no destination. The suggestion was to disable online traffic for routing and wait for Tesla to figure out / read the fix in forums and make a firmware fix.

3. Trebek1762

Trebek1762 Let's play jeopardy

it's not only with traffic enabled. Even with it off, mine stutters like crazy. Even the turn signals and autopilot confirmation are delayed by 1-2 seconds

4. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

My audio, turn clicks, AP chimes, etc get really delayed sometimes too. Then the system usually crashes and reboots and everything works normally again. On Monday though, the audio was all hosed and then a chime sound started repeating like a broken record for about 10 seconds. When the stuck chime died everything went back to normal without any reboot or crash. It acted like a Linux process died and restarted itself though.

5. f205v

f205v Member

Have you tried a factory reset?

6. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

Wow. All these issues. I charge my car every night and get in and drive everyday and everything works as I would expect it to work. Feeling very fortunate.

7. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Do you spend your whole day judging peoples posts on the internet ? There are people that are disappointed with Tesla for very real reasons. It is both inaccurate and unfair to classify these posts as en vogue negativity or to make a silly extension of their complaints towards suggestions of what their lives are like.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  8. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Yes, I do the same. May our good luck continue and may we be sensitive to those owners who don't share our good fortune.

• Like x 2
  9. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

Thank you. It's nice to hear a positive voice from time to time. So often I read "I love my Tesla but". Mama said "never love anything that can't love you back" but I love my Tesla anyway without any if's ands or buts.

10. dpilone

dpilone Member

I try to avoid these discussions when threads go sideways, but I want to drop a quick note in here. For me it’s not people being unhappy with their purchase or bugs they’re running into, etc. I’ve hit some too and I get it. Teslas are expensive, stuttering music can make you nuts, screen yellowing repeatedly is unacceptable, etc. No argument from me on that.

My issue is when people go after the teams. It frustrates me to no end when people throw around things like “lazy developers” or “they don’t care about XYZ” or “they should be able to fix this in two seconds if they had a developer who knew what they were doing”. These are real people on the other end of this product and I’d bet you my car that they care. They’re trying. What they’re all trying to do is really hard. Please don’t respond with “my Model-T had a radio that worked, how hard could this be??” kind of thing. Forget being an electric car, forget being an almost completely software based vehicle, forget OTA updates, forget that they’re trying to make it drive itself, just take for a second that this company is a trying to create a new car company. That’s an amazing task even if all they did was replicate exactly what the other car companies are doing.

I’m sure there are insanely late nights, competing priorities, worries about solvency, worries about people dying when there is a bug in something... I’m not saying the bugs and issues and changing policies are ok, just that I think it’s important to separate those frustrations from attacking real humans trying really hard to create something they’re proud of. Give them the benefit of the doubt... THEN file a polite bug report. :)

</soapbox> — Dan

• Like x 8
    • Love x 4
  11. AndrewTX

AndrewTX Member

What's the link for this web site? What's the value of this versus just using your phone via bluetooth?

12. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

Mostly that you can control it and see your playlist etc from MCU instead of phone. Link below explans and has instructions.

TesPlayer brings Spotify access to Tesla Model S, 3, X owners

13. DukeofURL

DukeofURL Member

I spent some time hanging out with a guy who was a project manager at Tesla when I was out in LA, this was pretty much the gist of it. Lots of nights sleeping at your desk, trying to juggle competing priorities and still produce quality output, and like working for a startup, everything is do or die.

• Helpful x 1
  14. AndrewTX

AndrewTX Member

15. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

Has anyone upgraded their MCU??

• Funny x 1
  16. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

I asked Tesla if they could upgrade my MCU to which they responded:

'... I have been advised we are not offering MCU retrofits at this time.'

Maybe in the future they will start? I would be happy to pay for the upgrade!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1