Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that he also says MCU2 has the same flaw so they'll eventually suffer the same fate.
yeah unfortunately he said the root problem is same in MCU2 (excessive logging to soldered-in non-replaceable flash), though he did also say they increased the size of the device in newer MCUs so therefore it should take longer to fail. IIRC the MCU1 has something like an 8GB eMMC device(?) - so just guessing maybe the newer MCUs have 32GB (or ?)... so perhaps at least 4x longer to fail? anyhow, bad design!

yeah unfortunately he said the root problem is same in MCU2 (excessive logging to soldered-in non-replaceable flash), though he did also say they increased the size of the device in newer MCUs so therefore it should take longer to fail. IIRC the MCU1 has something like an 8GB eMMC device(?) - so just guessing maybe the newer MCUs have 32GB (or ?)... so perhaps at least 4x longer to fail? anyhow, bad design!

Also maybe I'm misremembering- but didn't he also say he can disable the logging once he has physical access to the board?

Jan, I am one of those owners with a late 2017 MX who up until the 2019 updates experienced nearly flawless experiences. Since the 2019 updates I have experienced regular stuttering with Spotify, considerably long Power Up periods, jumbled letters in the main display and sometimes very sluggish response, indicator signal goes silent, a higher frequency of having to reboot, first inbound phone call no sound, etc. Overall, the software, in me experience, has become very unstable lately. Could be related to new features now consuming more CPU cycles (MCU1) and my vehicle only has 3G connectivity. Tesla Service has suggested I perform a Factory Reset, but so far I have resisted to avoid resetting all of my preferences, but if a Factory Reset does the trick, resetting personal settings is a small price to pay for near-flawless experience again.
Sept '17 delivery X100D - I have all the same issues described above, including 2018.50.6 working fine, and problems starting when I upgraded from that to to 2019.8.4 and everything after (now on 2019.12.1.1). Went in to my local service center today to have them look at it. Before going in they did a remote wipe of all nav destinations (recent & saved) which seemed to help a bit for a while. When at the SC they found some corrupt map tiles and a few other things they cleaned up. They wiped the nav SD card clean and loaded the latest maps on it manually. They also checked the LTE signal strength which was ok. On the way home, all the issues returned. I wasn't surprised, and thanked them for trying. They said the only thing left for them to try was a factory reset which I declined, at least for the time being.

Reactions: SO16 and GSP
Sentry Mode is AP2.5 but sluggishness certainly is fixed by MCU2.

And also the games situation may be precursor to other future features being MCU2 only...

AP2.0 car do have sentry mode but no dashcam/usb feature. Are you saying that since the latter requires 2.5, when upgrading to 3.0, initial AP2.0 owner will get dashcam/usb functionality? Would be amazing!

Now available at least in EU - Configurez votre Model 3 | Tesla
910 kg = 2006.21 lbs

YicdHhX.jpg

Ok, so I have a time bomb in the MCU1...
At 48k miles now, it may be forcing my hand to the extended warranty.

With all due respect, the extended warranty is a NO-brainer call on any Tesla.

It’s a relatively small amount for huge peace of mind, especially given the cost of repairs outside of warranty. We had it on a 2013 MS and it was priceless!

It’s a relatively small amount for huge peace of mind, especially given the cost of repairs outside of warranty. We had it on a 2013 MS and it was priceless!
Really depends on mileage one puts on a year. If it gains an additional 18 months of coverage at the cost of 2 MCUs it's questionable - IMHO.

Really depends on mileage one puts on a year. If it gains an additional 18 months of coverage at the cost of 2 MCUs it's questionable - IMHO.
I can see both sides on this issue. I agree it's likely not cost effective if you're going to get only 18 months of coverage.

I haven't yet decided what I'll do at end of warranty. I'll most likely buy the warranty or upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I can see both sides on this issue. I agree it's likely not cost effective if you're going to get only 18 months of coverage.

I haven't yet decided what I'll do at end of warranty. I'll most likely buy the warranty or upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I'm at 25 months and 46k miles. I have that decision coming up quick. The new range improvement on the S is interesting... Esp if I consider cost of extended warranty, mcu conversion, ap2.0, etc. But I think I'll want for a more significant refresh or just drive this 10 years like most of my previous cars. The our of pocket hit to upgrade is pretty darn big.

I drive 35k miles/year. It was a “NO-brainer call” for me to skip the ESA, as I do with all my cars. 30 months and 80k miles in, my out of pocket repair costs have been $0. Knock on wood, but I fully expect for my repair costs to be zero for the next 20k miles too.

The problem with generalizations and absolutes is they’re general, absolute, and don’t accurately account for all use cases.

I'm at 25 months and 46k miles. I have that decision coming up quick. The new range improvement on the S is interesting... Esp if I consider cost of extended warranty, mcu conversion, ap2.0, etc. But I think I'll want for a more significant refresh or just drive this 10 years like most of my previous cars. The our of pocket hit to upgrade is pretty darn big.
That's the difference in our situation. I think there will be a significant refresh before I have to make a decision. And the Y will have had time ramp up so that could also be a possibility.

Or dare I say other players could be a factor at that time.

Reactions: brkaus
I agree with all the comments on the extended warranty. For my 2013 MS it made sense. I average 7K miles per year. So it bought me 4 additional years of warranty. My MCU is developing bubbles, so I’m hoping to get it replaced (under warranty) in the next year. Kill 2 birds with one stone, screen & the memory issue.

I agree with all the comments on the extended warranty. For my 2013 MS it made sense. I average 7K miles per year. So it bought me 4 additional years of warranty. My MCU is developing bubbles, so I’m hoping to get it replaced (under warranty) in the next year. Kill 2 birds with one stone, screen & the memory issue.
I've read reports where they just replace the display and not the entire MCU. Hope that's not the case.

They usually just replace the screen itself, it doesn't even require to pull the whole MCU unit out of the car , pretty streamline operation