Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3rd door handle failure in 2 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mark E any catches? Like, complex paperwork? Have to pay and Redbook reimburse you? Excess before coverage?

Have you always serviced? I've had my car in at Tesla more times than once a year and they've always looked a things etc. for me...but only ever officially serviced once....and yourself? Reason I ask is I think Rebook state they won't pay if no proof of service...

Keen to know what you found....

@Mark E any catches? Like, complex paperwork? Have to pay and Redbook reimburse you? Excess before coverage?

Have you always serviced? I've had my car in at Tesla more times than once a year and they've always looked a things etc. for me...but only ever officially serviced once....and yourself? Reason I ask is I think Rebook state they won't pay if no proof of service...

Keen to know what you found....
If you read the redbook doco you will see that they require the car to be serviced as per manufacturers requirements - which is perfectly reasonable imo. I have always serviced - ie once per year. Redbook warranty is an insurance warranty - as is the Tesla one - and so they are about minimising risk. I only purchased it in December as my car turned 4. The process for a claim is that Tesla or any repairer gets approval for the work. You give the redbook details to the repairer and they talk directly.

I am in no way affiliated with them and as yet have not made a claim. About 25 years ago I had a similar product on an RX-7 and made a single claim which was painless, and went with Redbook because it was a much more reasonable price than the Tesla offering - and all of my door handles etc are the originals from 2014 so I didn't want to risk it.

Great news, they are sending a mobile tech to fix it at no charge.
Still a bit nerve wracking as I go further out of warranty. I’m sure this won’t be the last handle failure.
Glad to hear. I find they're quite reasonable when it comes to fixing this free of cost even if you're out of warranty. Tesla definitely takes the cake in terms of good faith fixes compared to other automakers.

Reactions: mike_j
Well I can report even better service than I thought possible.

I had it booked to be done by a mobile tech at a hospital I work. My list changed suddenly and I ended up at a different hospital.

Phoned Tesla to see if they could do the service at new location and the technician was already at that hospital servicing a car I parked opposite from. He was happy to do mine and I unlocked the car remotely with the app and came back later in the day to a perfect door handle.

I don’t know how I can thank them enough for this service.

Reactions: mike_j
Well I can report even better service than I thought possible.

I had it booked to be done by a mobile tech at a hospital I work. My list changed suddenly and I ended up at a different hospital.

Phoned Tesla to see if they could do the service at new location and the technician was already at that hospital servicing a car I parked opposite from. He was happy to do mine and I unlocked the car remotely with the app and came back later in the day to a perfect door handle.

I don’t know how I can thank them enough for this service.
No other car company operates like that. Exceptional service.

No other car company operates like that. Exceptional service.
I hope it stays that way when the Tesla fleet in Australia triples in about six months.

The complaints about service in the US Tesla forums are concerning. Call it growing pains or whatever, but as Tesla moves up the adoption curve the newcomers are likely to be far less forgiving.

I hope it stays that way when the Tesla fleet in Australia triples in about six months.

The complaints about service in the US Tesla forums are concerning. Call it growing pains or whatever, but as Tesla moves up the adoption curve the newcomers are likely to be far less forgiving.
The US forums have been complaining about tesla service forever. Way before the 3 came along.

The US forums have been complaining about tesla service forever. Way before the 3 came along.
True, but they are much higher volume than us. Even before M3.
I do think Tesla Service have some trouble answering emails and organising things. It might be the backend system they use. I remember waiting weeks to hear back from my delivery guy before I got the car.
Hopefully they cope with the increased numbers.

True, but they are much higher volume than us. Even before M3.
I do think Tesla Service have some trouble answering emails and organising things. It might be the backend system they use. I remember waiting weeks to hear back from my delivery guy before I got the car.
Hopefully they cope with the increased numbers.
Their backend is a bit average, like the email I recieved about a month ago that said I can now book service appointments online. I tried it, the end message was “not supported in your area”. My hairdresser has a very good online booking system that shows available times.

I'm also having the door handle drama on a 2015 Model S. 2nd handle just gone. Understanding the fix is only some small parts, I keep arguing for them to fix all 4 doors (or replace with the improved handle design) but it's their policy not to make pre-emptive repairs. Meanwhile warranty about to expire, so a bit concerned.

If you read the redbook doco you will see that they require the car to be serviced as per manufacturers requirements - which is perfectly reasonable imo. I have always serviced - ie once per year. Redbook warranty is an insurance warranty - as is the Tesla one - and so they are about minimising risk. I only purchased it in December as my car turned 4. The process for a claim is that Tesla or any repairer gets approval for the work. You give the redbook details to the repairer and they talk directly.

I am in no way affiliated with them and as yet have not made a claim. About 25 years ago I had a similar product on an RX-7 and made a single claim which was painless, and went with Redbook because it was a much more reasonable price than the Tesla offering - and all of my door handles etc are the originals from 2014 so I didn't want to risk it.

Tesla doesn't mandate compulsory servicing (to maintain warranty), so not sure Redbook (now Carsales) can enforce servicing annually ?

Reactions: Tension
I'm also having the door handle drama on a 2015 Model S. 2nd handle just gone. Understanding the fix is only some small parts, I keep arguing for them to fix all 4 doors (or replace with the improved handle design) but it's their policy not to make pre-emptive repairs. Meanwhile warranty about to expire, so a bit concerned.
They fixed my last door out of warranty, so I’m guessing they will do yours too.
Australian law (the AGL) pretty much makes it mandatory to fix things like that if car is a reasonable age.
Anything you could reasonably expect to work that fails must be repaired. Eh door handles should reasonably be expected to last more than 4 years.

Tesla doesn't mandate compulsory servicing (to maintain warranty), so not sure Redbook (now Carsales) can enforce servicing annually ?
I queried Redbook on this (when I got the policy but only remembered when checking my emails) - both in regards to door handles and servicing requirements -- @Mark E -- see advice below which may be useful:

Thanks for your email.

‘Wear and tear’ refers to the gradual degradation of operating performance over time. As a car gets older, its performance will get slightly worse and worse over the years (power, torque, the odd squeak and rattle) . This is not what a warranty is designed to address.

Warranties are designed to cover the failure of a component (like your door handle for example). A door handle doesn’t wear out.

On the servicing question, our requirement is that servicing is done as recommended but the manufacturer. So if Tesla doesn’t require them, then nor do we. Relatively simple.

I hope that helps but feel free to give me a call if you need to.

My experience with the 2015&2016 model s is that the door handle issue is very random. I had the drivers door handle go in one car twice, and the other car had no failures at all. I can see tesla’s point about not doing pre-emptive work, and consumer law will be your friend for what is a known problem on an expensive car.

I queried Redbook on this (when I got the policy but only remembered when checking my emails) - both in regards to door handles and servicing requirements -- @Mark E -- see advice below which may be useful:

Thanks for your email.

‘Wear and tear’ refers to the gradual degradation of operating performance over time. As a car gets older, its performance will get slightly worse and worse over the years (power, torque, the odd squeak and rattle) . This is not what a warranty is designed to address.

Warranties are designed to cover the failure of a component (like your door handle for example). A door handle doesn’t wear out.

On the servicing question, our requirement is that servicing is done as recommended but the manufacturer. So if Tesla doesn’t require them, then nor do we. Relatively simple.

I hope that helps but feel free to give me a call if you need to.

I have a feeling they are going to get a LOT of Tesla owners taking them up on their extended 3 year warranty given that information. I would, but mine is already out of warranty and has been for some time.