Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 85D is ordered!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Very excited that today I ordered my 70D! I've ordered white, with the tan next gen seats and autopilot. I've got the 7 days to consider adding any other options, but at this stage I'm pretty sure that'll be it, unless after listening to others and reading more on this forum I feel convinced something else is "necessary".

I'm in Queensland, living on the Gold Coast. Anyone else nearby?

Looking forward to engaging with this forum, and being part of the conversations.

Cheers,
Colin

I ordered the standard 19" wheels. I thought about the 21", but I was quite happy with the handling of the 19", and from what I heard the 21" has a bit more road noise.
21" are more susceptible to pot-holes also and with no spare...
I have an 85 and really appreciate the extra range (Brisbane to Coffs and Port Macquarie to Sydney).
I would like a D but they weren't available when I ordered. Only other variation to yours I have is the air suspension (dunno how much difference that makes).
Now done 19000 km in 8 months.

I ordered the standard 19" wheels. I thought about the 21", but I was quite happy with the handling of the 19", and from what I heard the 21" has a bit more road noise.
I think the 19" are a wise choice. I gently regret getting the "turbine" 19", as I feel the best compromise may have been to buy aftermarket 19" or (maybe better) , 20" as I think there are lighter, stronger but cheaper wheels available....
if I was buying again I think I'd do that. No biggie. I am enjoying the Tesla more everyday- remarkable...

21" are more susceptible to pot-holes also and with no spare...
I have an 85 and really appreciate the extra range (Brisbane to Coffs and Port Macquarie to Sydney).
I would like a D but they weren't available when I ordered. Only other variation to yours I have is the air suspension (dunno how much difference that makes).
Now done 19000 km in 8 months.

Thanks Ray... 70 or 85 was probably my biggest quandry, but in the end I struggled to justify an extra $20,000 for an extra 80km range. Even with my "regular" car (a BMW X3) I've never driven to Sydney, so I'll probably just need to wait for the supercharger network if I want to. One thing emerged for me as I spoke to current owners, and that was it seems everyone worries about range until they actually have one. As one doesn't drive to near empty and then refill like a regular car, and they are pretty much always charged overnight at home, it just doesn't seem to be an issue for people. The exception would be those who regularly do long trips or fast turn around without recharge opportunities I guess, but that's not me. Great that there is the option though... even now I feel I could be swayed to change ;-)

Hi everyone,

Very excited that today I ordered my 70D! I've ordered white, with the tan next gen seats and autopilot. I've got the 7 days to consider adding any other options, but at this stage I'm pretty sure that'll be it, unless after listening to others and reading more on this forum I feel convinced something else is "necessary".

I'm in Queensland, living on the Gold Coast. Anyone else nearby?

Looking forward to engaging with this forum, and being part of the conversations.

Cheers,
Colin

The only thing I slightly regret not ordering is the UHF Sound package.
The option I most enjoy is the Panoramic roof. Not because you can open it but because of the lightness it adds to the cabin.
In any case, congratulations, I'm sure you will be blown away by what you'll receive just like we were.

P.S. Hope you used someone's referral code to get the $1500.00 off.

P.P.S that's not an invitation for people to post their referral codes here! :rolleyes:

The only thing I slightly regret not ordering is the UHF Sound package.
The option I most enjoy is the Panoramic roof. Not because you can open it but because of the lightness it adds to the cabin.
In any case, congratulations, I'm sure you will be blown away by what you'll receive just like we were.

P.S. Hope you used someone's referral code to get the $1500.00 off.

P.P.S that's not an invitation for people to post their referral codes here! :rolleyes:

Thanks! I've had a sun roof on other cars and never really used it. The lightness it adds is a good point. I've heard it also is noisier (less sound proofing). Is that true? Yep... I got the $1500 off - every bit helps!

- - - Updated - - -

There is a very active Queensland group, with many members from both coasts, and those of us in BNE too. Welcome!

James from Tesla tools me there's an active What's App group in SE QLD. Anyone know about that our how to get plugged into it?

Thanks! I've had a sun roof on other cars and never really used it. The lightness it adds is a good point. I've heard it also is noisier (less sound proofing). Is that true? Yep... I got the $1500 off - every bit helps!

- - - Updated - - -

James from Tesla tools me there's an active What's App group in SE QLD. Anyone know about that our how to get plugged into it?
PM timpoo here (TMC).

congrats! I think my order will be very similar to yours except i'm hoping to get a different colour (if the wife allows it) and i won't be getting the special seats, so keen to hear everyone's thoughts as well.
When I first started looking at the Model S (and they only had the 65 and 85), i told myself i would definitely get the 85. Now that it's come to crunch time I just can't justify the cash (i'm already stretching to afford the 70D!), and i heard the battery tech in the 70 is better than the 65 and 85, so you're getting more range than a linear 5kwH over the top of the 65. anyways.. hopefully they'll have started the north of sydney super charger network by the time i get mine, that's pretty much the only direction i drive.

Those with the pano roof, do you have to clean it after rain all the time? I imagine that rain residue would be pretty visible?

congrats! I think my order will be very similar to yours except i'm hoping to get a different colour (if the wife allows it) and i won't be getting the special seats, so keen to hear everyone's thoughts as well.

For me the seats were a must have option, having looked at both. They gave the car a look and level of support and comfort you'd expect from a $100K+ car. The standard seats are pretty disappointing IMO, and when you drive even mildly aggressively you slide around in them. Just my opinion, others might find them too supportive.