Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 85D is ordered!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P
Thanks! I've had a sun roof on other cars and never really used it. The lightness it adds is a good point. I've heard it also is noisier (less sound proofing). Is that true? Yep... I got the $1500 off - every bit helps!
I haven't driven a Model S without the Pano roof so haven't had a chance to compare, but I haven't noticed any more noise.
On my first day with the car I hit a big storm near Campbelltown and even with wipers on full had to slow down, but so did other cars. No leaks, and the noise seemed no worse than my previous cars without sun roofs.
What has impressed me is the heat resistant coating seems very effective at least in Sydney.

There are no issues with my pano roof. No heat, no leaks, no noise, no creaks, dark enough not to see any raindrops or staining, and I do open it regularly especially in spring and autumn. In summer open is a bit too hot. Only issue is air pressure, but that is solved by opening a rear window a bit.

Thanks Ray... 70 or 85 was probably my biggest quandry, but in the end I struggled to justify an extra $20,000 for an extra 80km range. Even with my "regular" car (a BMW X3) I've never driven to Sydney, so I'll probably just need to wait for the supercharger network if I want to. One thing emerged for me as I spoke to current owners, and that was it seems everyone worries about range until they actually have one. As one doesn't drive to near empty and then refill like a regular car, and they are pretty much always charged overnight at home, it just doesn't seem to be an issue for people. The exception would be those who regularly do long trips or fast turn around without recharge opportunities I guess, but that's not me. Great that there is the option though... even now I feel I could be swayed to change ;-)
We had an X3. Hopeless vehicle. It had a very nasty self acceleration habit. The model s is just so much better. X3 long gone.
You are spot on with your range comment. Once you have it, and if you don't do road trips, the 70D is going to be plenty of range.
We have two model s, one on the supplied good year 19's, the other on the supplied conti-silent 21's. The noise increase to the 21's is hardly anything, but the handling around city corners is noticably better for the 21's. (Not that the 19's are bad)
One irrepairable puncture so far, in the 19's (4 months now). The tyres are actually quite cheap if you buy them from tesla.
I reckon anyone should be thrilled with a 70 on 19's. Every change from there is just that little bit better in a different area. I think the 70D is likely the optimum city use variant.

Ok, so our 7 days for changes are up tomorrow morning, and what an interesting 7 days it's been pouring over these forums, speaking to people, and considering virtually every option Telsa has available. At the end of all of that we kept the same configuration as originally ordered, with one change... we opted for the 85D instead of the 70D. Two reasons:

1. I am considering putting an ecohitch towbar on it, and would be towing my trailer which carries my radio controlled jets. This has the potential to reduce the range enough that it might be a problem - it certainly kills the fuel consumption on my X3. More torque is always good for trailers too, although even the 70D I'm sure would have more than enough of that. We could even leave the Tesla alone and keep our X3 that has the towbar now. Lots of possibilities, but this is a decision we cant change our mind on after the event. Better safe than sorry.
2. A second less (5.4s vs 4.4s) to 100KPH = more fun. Entirely frivolous I know :)

I've also heard resell is likely to be much better on 85D's, but the jury is out on that one.

Final config: 85D, plain white, tan next gen seats, autopilot

Ok, so our 7 days for changes are up tomorrow morning, and what an interesting 7 days it's been pouring over these forums, speaking to people, and considering virtually every option Telsa has available. At the end of all of that we kept the same configuration as originally ordered, with one change... we opted for the 85D instead of the 70D. Two reasons:

1. I am considering putting an ecohitch towbar on it, and would be towing my trailer which carries my radio controlled jets. This has the potential to reduce the range enough that it might be a problem - it certainly kills the fuel consumption on my X3. More torque is always good for trailers too, although even the 70D I'm sure would have more than enough of that. We could even leave the Tesla alone and keep our X3 that has the towbar now. Lots of possibilities, but this is a decision we cant change our mind on after the event. Better safe than sorry.
2. A second less (5.4s vs 4.4s) to 100KPH = more fun. Entirely frivolous I know :)

I've also heard resell is likely to be much better on 85D's, but the jury is out on that one.

The 85D is my dream machine; mine's an 85 as the D wasn't around back then. The 85 is just a half a step from perfect.

congrats, you are going to seriously enjoy the 85D. The pain in the back of your head from the g-force is intoxicating.
Tan interior is gorgeous too.

congratulations on your order. Similar in almost every respect to my order except I've chosen grey next gen seats but have been toying with changing to tan as you have done. I think the tan is the better choice with the white, when compared to the grey or the black leather - I would be interested in your thoughts as to how you decided tan.
Once again - congrats.

congratulations on your order. Similar in almost every respect to my order except I've chosen grey next gen seats but have been toying with changing to tan as you have done. I think the tan is the better choice with the white, when compared to the grey or the black leather - I would be interested in your thoughts as to how you decided tan.
Once again - congrats.

Fortunately I had the chance to see both grey and tan, and I just felt the tan looked much more striking, and just a bit more contrast against the White exterior. I'm not a huge fan of dark interiors so the black never came into it for me, but that's just personal preference

Hey Colina,

Did you put your can up on the Order and delivery spread sheet? (care of HERE)
I think we ordered our probably a few days apart, so it'd be interesting to see if they stay aligned. Do you have your VIN yet? What's your status on the MyTesla website?

Hi omniwolf... I didn't know about that spreadsheet - thanks, I've added my car to the list. MYTESLA still says "entered the production queue" and no VIN as yet. From the spreadsheet looks like you ordered yours about a month earlier than me, mine ended up an 85D on final order too (got in a week or so before the price increase). When did you get your VIN? last week Adam told me my production date hasn't moved and i can expect it to enter production early Jan, and delivery late Feb. We'll see!

ah, i must have put the date in there incorrectly. It's fixed now (and you ordered 3 days before me).
Strange that I have a VIN and you don't, considering you got in earlier. I didn't actually notice when I got my VIN, just saw it there the other day. If you login to the MyTesla website, under the picture of the car to the left it says "Model S", under that text is my VIN.
hmm comparing my VIN number to others with similar numbers, i probably got my VIN about a week and a half ago.
Also looking at the production start dates for people with similar VINs to me, it must be soon. Hopefully for you too..

ah, i must have put the date in there incorrectly. It's fixed now (and you ordered 3 days before me).
Strange that I have a VIN and you don't, considering you got in earlier. I didn't actually notice when I got my VIN, just saw it there the other day. If you login to the MyTesla website, under the picture of the car to the left it says "Model S", under that text is my VIN.
hmm comparing my VIN number to others with similar numbers, i probably got my VIN about a week and a half ago.
Also looking at the production start dates for people with similar VINs to me, it must be soon. Hopefully for you too..

I lied... I do have a VIN! Like you I just didn't notice it was there, so it might have been there for some time. I've updated the spreadsheet accordingly. Production start dates seem all over the place, and depend on country, LH/RH drive etc. Kind of frustrating (although I get why) to see people in the USA ordered after us getting their car way before us!

Last edited:
cool! still, you have a higher VIN number than me. weird. maybe because you changed your order in the cool off period? who knows.
I was reading on another part of the forum that possibly Tesla had to make a quota of cars sold in the US before the end of the year to get some tax benefit or something, so they prioritised US cars. But they made the quota, so now they're focusing on non-US cars (ie us!). So if you're in the US and try to order now, the delivery date is pushed way out

I've been checking in periodically with Adam at Tesla in Sydney and he assures me there has been no slippage on the original forecast of late Feb delivery. I've no idea on the VIN sequence numbers. Maybe something to with 70D vs 85D too. Regardless, I'd be pretty confident yours and mine will be on the same ship to Australia. Given you're in Sydney and I'm in QLD you'll get yours delivered before mine... Gggrrrr