Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Battery Health after 1 year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-user

MYLR, 5s, OD9/10, received on Nov. 29.
Sep 15, 2021
Colorado
I use Tessie to keep track of the battery health. Charging overnight to 80% at around 12 amps 240v. Used Supercharger only 3 or 4 times in a year. Driving between 60-80 miles per day. Battery health is below average. I wonder if anyone has tips for a better charging routine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113_082359.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113_082359.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 346
I'm in the same boat. Car lives in an insulated garage... I SC only a few times a year when I take a big trip. Charge to 75% normally and drive about 7000k mi/yr.

For all intents and purposes, I baby the car. Averaging 220Wh/mi daily and about 280 lifetime.

My max range (dividing my 75% range by 0.75) is now 304mi.

I'm honestly not super concerned about it, but it's good to provide others with data points. I know 2 ppl with 2015 Model S's and they've only lost 3% range in 7yrs... I've lost ~6.5% in 1.5yrs

Reactions: MY-user
I'm honestly not super concerned about it, but it's good to provide others with data points. I know 2 ppl with 2015 Model S's and they've only lost 3% range in 7yrs... I've lost ~6.5% in 1.5yrs
I drive about 25k/year. Also keep in the garage. Current degradation is 5.8%. Will sell the car if get to 15% drop or 5 years whatever comes first. Just wanted to see if there's something I can do better without more upkeep.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
It’s almost as if all of the battery babying advice this forum lives and breathes by doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. 🤔
I agree…when my car was a few months old, my hatch was leaking so Tesla gave me a loaner 2020 Y with 26k on it and it was also missing 8%. So the 2020 has a slightly smaller battery, being loaner car, has free supercharging and was getting supercharged on the regular at Tesla too. Point is, im sure it wasn’t cared for and it pretty much matches my car’s degradation. I’ve been at 8% degradation since about 30k.

I agree…when my car was a few months old, my hatch was leaking so Tesla gave me a loaner 2020 Y with 26k on it and it was also missing 8%. So the 2020 has a slightly smaller battery, being loaner car, has free supercharging and was getting supercharged on the regular at Tesla too. Point is, im sure it wasn’t cared for and it pretty much matches my car’s degradation. I’ve been at 8% degradation since about 30k.
To clarify, AFAIK, Tesla does NOT use superchargers at their Service Centers. There may be Superchargers NEAR SCs, but they use Level 2 EVSEs.

I use Tessie to keep track of the battery health. Charging overnight to 80% at around 12 amps 240v. Used Supercharger only 3 or 4 times in a year. Driving between 60-80 miles per day. Battery health is below average. I wonder if anyone has tips for a better charging routine.

If you don't periodically run the battery down into the teens and then charge it up to 80% then the battery management system doesn't actually know the health of the battery.

Running the battery down into the teens (or even single digits) and then charging it up and allowing the cells to re-balance (a process that takes hours after the battery gets to 80% or higher) is the only way to recover the actual state of the battery.

2 year old Model Y. Just shy of 31000 miles. Typically charge to 90% nightly. Yesterday I drove down to 14%

Plugged in but didn't start charging. An hour later it read 10%

Charged to 90% this morning and my 90% is 242 miles which estimates to about 269 miles at 100% for a loss of 17.5%

Yesterday's drive lead to a lower estimate after charging. For comparison, my 2013 model s had an estimated loss of 11.5% when I traded it in with over 130,000 miles in late 2020

• Informative
Reactions: MY-user
So after months of being down around 8%, even had a few times I charged to 100% during that time period which should of helped calibrate, it is now reporting that I’m only down 4%. This all happened when the median temperature changed drastically to 30 degrees from 60 degrees here in NH.

So after months of being down around 8%, even had a few times I charged to 100% during that time period which should of helped calibrate, it is now reporting that I’m only down 4%. This all happened when the median temperature changed drastically to 30 degrees from 60 degrees here in NH.
What is showing you these numbers?

Just when I charge it to 80 or 90% compared to what I would get fully charged when it was new. So my full charge was 326 originally and the last few times I fully charged I would get 300 miles. 90% charge when new I would get around 295 miles. All summer 90% would only give me around 270miles or less. Now I’m getting around 280miles. This happened to me before in the spring but the the BMS took the mileage gain away a few weeks later.

2 year old Model Y. Just shy of 31000 miles. Typically charge to 90% nightly. Yesterday I drove down to 14%

Plugged in but didn't start charging. An hour later it read 10%

Charged to 90% this morning and my 90% is 242 miles which estimates to about 269 miles at 100% for a loss of 17.5%

Yesterday's drive lead to a lower estimate after charging. For comparison, my 2013 model s had an estimated loss of 11.5% when I traded it in with over 130,000 miles in late 2020
I also have a 2 yo Model Y. Just over 31000 miles. My 90% charge today is 251 miles, which is typical for my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drumheller
4% degradation after 14 months, 19,500 miles, 700 to 1500 mi road trips almost every month, sometimes 2, so supercharge a fair amount.

Charge to 60-80% daily, normally from low of 35-50%. Mix it up a lot, but usually 65% is the limit.

Before road trips, we charge to 90-95% overnight, to 100 the hour before we leave.

Winters are cold, we go months in the teens and 20's, rarely breaking 30°F. I keep it plugged in and precondition before driving every day.

Every summer weekend we drive to the cabin 80 miles away, charge to 85 the night before.

I'm guessing the variety of charging, weekly 85-95 overnight and frequent trips below 20% are doing more to keep the apparent degradation on the lower side, just keeping the BMS calibrated.