Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery is on for tomorrow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. OK. I'm home...LOL

Impressions of the Model 3

Fremont delivery center: Really nice facility. No public charging but that's nitpicking. You check in and they tell you to have a coffee and a seat while they get your DS. Good baristas and all the usual coffee drinks available as well as tea and hot chocolate. The menu has a "Ludicrous Latte" consisting of four shots of espresso and steamed milk.

When the car is ready they take you to some tables in the delivery area. Every car has a spotlight on it. I saw three Model 3's there. Paperwork is painless.

Now the car...I gave it a good going over looking at the seams. Fit and finish is perfect. The body seams are tight and uniform. DS sets up your phone to be used as a key and gives a good overview of how the car works.

Driving...It's fast. My daily driver is a P85 and the Model 3 didn't feel sluggish at all. I didn't do any rocket starts but it had no problem getting into any spot that I wanted to on the freeway. A friend is holding out for dual motors and he says he may change his order to get his car earlier now.

UI take a bit getting used to after 3+ years in a Model S. It's unnerving to look down at the steering wheel in a dark car and see nothing but blackness. It's roomy enough for my 14 and 21 year old in the back seat. They didn't complain

.View attachment 267862 View attachment 267863 View attachment 267864 View attachment 267865 View attachment 267866 View attachment 267867 View attachment 267868
I also am waiting for the P75DL+...!!!

• Love
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
He was trolling or just clueless. Dunno which.

Funny calling me a troll of all things. I've been on this forum for years, and I always try to give valuable input or at least my true and honest opinion, which is based facts that I have witnessed in my daily life.
Now for my math/reasoning:

My 330Cd has an average fuel economy of between 6.5 and 7 litres per 100 km. The portion of my tank that I usually use until I fill it up again is about 55 litres, giving me between 800 and 850 km per tank. At 1.15 Euro per litre at the moment (it has gone up again, my last fillings all were under 1.10 Euro, but no matter) those 55 litres equate to 63.25 Euro, or (at 825 km median range for that) 7.7 cents per km.

Let's take the Model 3 LR at 310 miles of range, that is about 500 km. How large is the LR battery? Elon once mentioned about 75 kWh, so let's go with that.
Our electricity is about 0.30 Euro per kWh, which means 22.5 Euro for 75 kWh, or 4.5 cents per km.
Now you could say "see, told you so, much cheaper than your Diesel", but remember that this is only valid if we assume several unrealistic things:
1) there are absolutely no losses whatsoever
2) I do indeed get 500 km out of one battery filling
3) I always fill up to 100% and drive until empty

As long as I don't have any real world data to compare, I will take those 4.5 cents per km that I calculated with a very large grain of salt.

but remember that this is only valid if we assume several unrealistic things:

1) charging losses are <10%, driving losses are baked into the Wh/mile number
2)/3) $(kWh) per mile does not depend on how far you drive or how full the battery is.

With your 7.7 vs 4.5 numbers you can have 70% additional loss and still be at parity with the cost per mile metric (range of course would suffer)

Our electricity is about 0.30 Euro per kWh, which means 22.5 Euro for 75 kWh, or 4.5 cents per km.
As long as I don't have any real world data to compare, I will take those 4.5 cents per km that I calculated with a very large grain of salt.

You should take them with a large grain of salt - the German average price for electricity is some 28.5 to 29cts / kwh and punching a random Frankfurt zip code into verivox Strompreisvergleich gives you a number of Strom Tarife with 27cts/kwh. So that already gets you down to 4.05 cents/km
If you have your own PV it gets even cheaper (even in Germany) - heck depending on where you live your own PV + a powerwall is cheaper than 30cts/kwh etc.

Let me be clear: the argument of EVs being cheaper/more expensive than regular cars can be twisted any which way you want. For instance if you have a Dienstwagen with a Tankkarte and don't need to pay for fuel, even the cheapest BEV will be more expensive to drive etc. Conversely, if you can charge your car at your employer for free (like I can do :) - no matter how cheap fuel is, it is more expensive.

You should take them with a large grain of salt - the German average price for electricity is some 28.5 to 29cts / kwh and punching a random Frankfurt zip code into verivox Strompreisvergleich gives you a number of Strom Tarife with 27cts/kwh. So that already gets you down to 4.05 cents/km
If you have your own PV it gets even cheaper (even in Germany) - heck depending on where you live your own PV + a powerwall is cheaper than 30cts/kwh etc.

Let me be clear: the argument of EVs being cheaper/more expensive than regular cars can be twisted any which way you want. For instance if you have a Dienstwagen with a Tankkarte and don't need to pay for fuel, even the cheapest BEV will be more expensive to drive etc. Conversely, if you can charge your car at your employer for free (like I can do :) - no matter how cheap fuel is, it is more expensive.

An other data point: charging during the night is 25 cents/kwh in Belgium, and Belgium has a reputation that electricity is expensive.

Edit: Just looked up the price under the same circumstances in France (just 30 km south from where I live) and it the price is less tha 16 cents/kwh.
Even with my electricity cost, I’m pretty sure a Model 3 will cost me less per km than any other car (assuming I can drive 200K to 300K km with the car)

Last edited:
Funny calling me a troll of all things. I've been on this forum for years, and I always try to give valuable input or at least my true and honest opinion, which is based facts that I have witnessed in my daily life.

My 330Cd has an average fuel economy of between 6.5 and 7 litres per 100 km. The portion of my tank that I usually use until I fill it up again is about 55 litres, giving me between 800 and 850 km per tank. At 1.15 Euro per litre at the moment (it has gone up again, my last fillings all were under 1.10 Euro, but no matter) those 55 litres equate to 63.25 Euro, or (at 825 km median range for that) 7.7 cents per km.

Let's take the Model 3 LR at 310 miles of range, that is about 500 km. How large is the LR battery? Elon once mentioned about 75 kWh, so let's go with that.
Now you could say "see, told you so, much cheaper than your Diesel", but remember that this is only valid if we assume several unrealistic things:

As long as I don't have any real world data to compare, I will take those 4.5 cents per km th

I do believe that I provided an alternative to being a troll.

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and EinSV
OK. OK. I'm home...LOL

Impressions of the Model 3

Fremont delivery center: Really nice facility. No public charging but that's nitpicking. You check in and they tell you to have a coffee and a seat while they get your DS. Good baristas and all the usual coffee drinks available as well as tea and hot chocolate. The menu has a "Ludicrous Latte" consisting of four shots of espresso and steamed milk.

When the car is ready they take you to some tables in the delivery area. Every car has a spotlight on it. I saw three Model 3's there. Paperwork is painless.

Now the car...I gave it a good going over looking at the seams. Fit and finish is perfect. The body seams are tight and uniform. DS sets up your phone to be used as a key and gives a good overview of how the car works.

Driving...It's fast. My daily driver is a P85 and the Model 3 didn't feel sluggish at all. I didn't do any rocket starts but it had no problem getting into any spot that I wanted to on the freeway. A friend is holding out for dual motors and he says he may change his order to get his car earlier now.

UI take a bit getting used to after 3+ years in a Model S. It's unnerving to look down at the steering wheel in a dark car and see nothing but blackness. It's roomy enough for my 14 and 21 year old in the back seat. They didn't complain

.View attachment 267862 View attachment 267863 View attachment 267864 View attachment 267865 View attachment 267866 View attachment 267867 View attachment 267868

Vern:

I trust that you immediately brought your new Model 3 to get a dash cam installed? And, no, I don't want to see another video of your car getting trashed by some indulged 16 year old in a BMW M3....

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and T34ME

I'm not trying to twist anything.
In fact I sincerely hope that all of you are right. After all, the more I save with my Model 3, the better!

But as for your arguments: no, we don't have PV as our house is not suited to installing them (roof too steep, facing the wrong direction, windows and gables ruining the available space). Plus, I don't have the thousands of Euro I would need to install PV to begin with. It is more than enough having to save up for the Model 3 as it is.
And our electricity is indeed 30 cents. There are cheaper companies, sure, but you have to compare the service as well. Believe me, we have tried several over the past years, cheaper does not necessarily mean better you know.

And now I'm off to church. Merry Christmas everyone! (Over here it's tonight, not tomorrow morning).

Vern:

I trust that you immediately brought your new Model 3 to get a dash cam installed? And, no, I don't want to see another video of your car getting trashed by some indulged 16 year old in a BMW M3....

No dashcam purchased yet. Have to figure out where to power it. Was told that current draws are monitored and tapping into the wrong circuit may trigger some protections.

M3??? I was hit by an M5. This is Hillsborough.

Would you mind sharing your VIN? We’re all looking forward to more 2000+.
Just got my VIN assigned: xx2547

Reservation RN107669711
Ordered/Deposit: 3/31/16
Past Tesla Owner (x3)
Non-employee, Bay Area CA
Invited To Configure: 12/15/17
Configured, Placed 2nd Deposit, Submitted all paperwork: 12/16/17
VIN Assigned: not sure when it was assigned, but it's there today: 12/25/17