Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery is on for tomorrow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a theory that it depends on how deep your car is parked in the lot making it harder to extricate. In other words "Go out there and grab the first car you can." And they come back with "VIN # xxxx is easy to get to" So - you're next!!

You're probably right but in addition to that I think the build order is not the same as configuration order.

They probably build a lot of cars for days (or maybe even longer) of one type (options + color combination) and then change out the production line for the next type, etc. If you order early but happen to be in a later production line configuration your car will be built later.

And then after it's built there's the whole parking lot location thing....

This was my understanding too. At no point was such a formal commitment made for the 3.

What?
It was even on the Model 3 details page for a while. Plus Elon mentioned it personally, and made it sound as if it was indeed meant for all Tesla models.
As it is, that's even more of the argument "a BEV is cheaper to run than an ICE" down the drain. What do I need Superchargers for then anyway? And don't give me the argument "cheaper than a tank of gas". That might be true for California, it's definitely not true over here.

What?
It was even on the Model 3 details page for a while. Plus Elon mentioned it personally, and made it sound as if it was indeed meant for all Tesla models.
As it is, that's even more of the argument "a BEV is cheaper to run than an ICE" down the drain. What do I need Superchargers for then anyway? And don't give me the argument "cheaper than a tank of gas". That might be true for California, it's definitely not true over here.
How much is your gas and how much is your electricity?

What?

I don't think free supercharging was on the model 3 details page at any point, but Elon has made some comments that could have led someone to expect it. I didn't.

Your comment about cost though made me do some research. I saw you're in Germany, so I looked at what a normal tank of gas might cost you. Let's say a 60 liter fillup at 1.35 euros/liter (the average price in Germany over the last 3 months). That'd be over 80 euros. You're not filling up from empty though, so maybe around 70 euros? Heck, let's say 60, give gas the best possible look here.

Charging at a supercharger in Germany means paying per minute unfortunately, but they at least scale the price down when you're drawing more slowly. It's 0.34 euros/minute when charging above 60kw, and 0.17 euros when charging below that threshold. So in order to spend 60 euros, you'd somehow have to be charging for 176 minutes at >60kw. This is, frankly, impossible, because your battery would be full far before you had a chance to charge at >60kw for three hours. So yea, I'm gonna give you the "cheaper than a tank of gas" argument.

What?

I went back and looked at old posts, and don’t believe it was ever on the Model 3 page. All people had to go on was the informal statement from Elon from the previous year. Anyway, it’s been know for sure since October that there were no supercharger credits for the 3.

What?
What? ;)
In my mind the "cheaper than a tank of gas" argument is true anywhere in Europe, US, Asia. Please explain.

What?

What do you need SuperChargers for then anyway? A lot of people don't need them at all. They are not there to get free electricity, they are there to let you go farther more easily.

What?

Wait...a liter of gas is well over $1.3 usd/liter, let's say $5 per gallon to be conservative. kWh is about 30cts

Average electricity prices around the world: $/kWh | OVO Energy

Let's assume:

3 miles per kWh (The 3 is actually better than that)
ICE average of 35 mpg (BMW 3 series)

That's 10 US cents per mile vs 14 cts for an ICE, no?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: AustinPowers