Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My sister, MX, MX5s, and AutoPilot: 0 … concrete construction barrier: 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ubtd+

10Fzi+

When I was startled to wakefulness by the horrific screeching sound, I was absolutely convinced that my sister had totaled my month-old dream-car. We both climbed out, trembling, only to discover that despite the duration and volume of the scraping sounds, the above was the “only” damage to the car. Probably a freaking miracle, to be honest. *fingers crossed*

Time to look into rim-repair services, I suppose; I hope they can paste over damage this deep. O_O

Reactions: ModelX
Eeek, definitely lucked out there! At least you could just get another wheel from T-Sportline I guess, or that maybe could be repaired/coated again.

I never trust AP next to concrete raised curbs or barriers now!

I used AP on a road trip to TX from IL and back last week, about 2400 miles total round trip. I used it a lot of the time, but held onto the wheel usually and paid attention. There were a number of times, probably 10-20 that I would have died if didn't correct it or let it continue on its own. It doesn't deal with barriers well sometimes (tried to steer into one), it freaks out when there is an exit and then when it tries to correct at least a couple times it overcorrected and went into the far left lane and would have continued into a wall or middle ditch/woods ignoring lines. It really kinda sucked to see that. Overall it made the trip much easier, but I really only use it now when I'm sure it can deal with cleanly marked roads, no exits, no barriers, no merging cars, etc.

Ubtd+

10Fzi+

When I was startled to wakefulness by the horrific screeching sound, I was absolutely convinced that my sister had totaled my month-old dream-car. We both climbed out, trembling, only to discover that despite the duration and volume of the scraping sounds, the above was the “only” damage to the car. Probably a freaking miracle, to be honest. *fingers crossed*

Time to look into rim-repair services, I suppose; I hope they can paste over damage this deep. O_O
Just to confirm, the damage was directly caused by the Autopilot not recognizing construction site/ work area?

Ubtd+

10Fzi+

Just call your local service center and ask them who they use to fix curb rash. I had this issue on a previous Model S and mine was much more extensive and deeper, which was fixed perfectly for $125. They might also do it at the service center but will use the same company to fix and will charge a small premium.

Just call your local service center and ask them who they use to fix curb rash. I had this issue on a previous Model S and mine was much more extensive and deeper, which was fixed perfectly for $125. They might also do it at the service center but will use the same company to fix and will charge a small premium.

These are aftermarket wheels, so I doubt they will. ;)

Good idea to go to them for suppliers, though; I'll do that!

Just to confirm, the damage was directly caused by the Autopilot not recognizing construction site/ work area?

Indeed, that is the case.

hope you are not surprised or shocked by that?

This is … a whole separate topic (whether it's somehow “okay” that Autopilot misses that, or from the converse, whether it's “not okay” for an owner to assume that it won't miss it), and I'm not going to weigh in in-depth right now; but fun fact: despite that experience, I managed to do basically the precisely same thing a few weeks later. (Autopilot clipped a construction-barrel that was sitting a little too far into the lane. Luckily, no real damage; just to the protective dip-job, which I have so I can trash it up. :p)

Whether or not it's “okay,” there's definitely now a no-exceptions ‘Autopilot goes off in construction zones’ rule for whoever's driving my Tesla. O_O