TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My sister, MX, MX5s, and AutoPilot: 0 … concrete construction barrier: 1

Discussion in 'Model X' started by VerityZooms, Sep 28, 2016.

1. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I was startled to wakefulness by the horrific screeching sound, I was absolutely convinced that my sister had totaled my month-old dream-car. We both climbed out, trembling, only to discover that despite the duration and volume of the scraping sounds, the above was the “only” damage to the car. Probably a freaking miracle, to be honest. *fingers crossed*

Time to look into rim-repair services, I suppose; I hope they can paste over damage this deep. O_O

• Like x 1
  2. travwill

travwill Member

Eeek, definitely lucked out there! At least you could just get another wheel from T-Sportline I guess, or that maybe could be repaired/coated again.

I never trust AP next to concrete raised curbs or barriers now!

I used AP on a road trip to TX from IL and back last week, about 2400 miles total round trip. I used it a lot of the time, but held onto the wheel usually and paid attention. There were a number of times, probably 10-20 that I would have died if didn't correct it or let it continue on its own. It doesn't deal with barriers well sometimes (tried to steer into one), it freaks out when there is an exit and then when it tries to correct at least a couple times it overcorrected and went into the far left lane and would have continued into a wall or middle ditch/woods ignoring lines. It really kinda sucked to see that. Overall it made the trip much easier, but I really only use it now when I'm sure it can deal with cleanly marked roads, no exits, no barriers, no merging cars, etc.

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

OUCH! Glad to hear you're bith OK and I hope there's no further damage to Verity!

5. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I simply can't fathom why would anyone use AP in a construction zone.

6. chillaban

chillaban Member

Ouch....

I definitely keep gentle pressure on my wheel to the opposite direction of things I don't want to hit when using AP in a dicey area.

Sorry to hear about what happened though :(. Fortunately it's just wheel damage.

7. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Just to confirm, the damage was directly caused by the Autopilot not recognizing construction site/ work area?

8. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

hope you are not surprised or shocked by that?

9. Dynamo123

Dynamo123 Member

Just call your local service center and ask them who they use to fix curb rash. I had this issue on a previous Model S and mine was much more extensive and deeper, which was fixed perfectly for $125. They might also do it at the service center but will use the same company to fix and will charge a small premium.

10. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

These are aftermarket wheels, so I doubt they will. ;)

Good idea to go to them for suppliers, though; I'll do that!

11. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

Indeed, that is the case.

This is … a whole separate topic (whether it's somehow “okay” that Autopilot misses that, or from the converse, whether it's “not okay” for an owner to assume that it won't miss it), and I'm not going to weigh in in-depth right now; but fun fact: despite that experience, I managed to do basically the precisely same thing a few weeks later. (Autopilot clipped a construction-barrel that was sitting a little too far into the lane. Luckily, no real damage; just to the protective dip-job, which I have so I can trash it up. :p)

Whether or not it's “okay,” there's definitely now a no-exceptions ‘Autopilot goes off in construction zones’ rule for whoever's driving my Tesla. O_O

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The inadvisability of using AP in construction zones has been extensively discussed on TMC for a year now in multiple threads.

13. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

that rim is FUBARd... any picture of the construction barrier to give us an idea? would need to avoid that in future myself

14. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Clearly not extensively enough or long enough.

15. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

oh, lord, wow, that guy has a high tolerance. I'd consider mine of ‘medium’ severity — but jesus, that one looks un-drivable.

• Funny x 1