Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot drives like a drunk - won’t keep straight in a single lane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my M3P last weekend and took a trip this weekend. Using NOAP I’ve found that the car struggles to stay in the center of the lane to the point that my wife complained that the back and forth swerve made it tough for her to read in the back seat. Seems worse on some sections of road than others. The car feels like it is drunk, constantly correcting right and left like an underdamped control system. Any ideas? Is this normal?

I’m at about 650 miles. Will be interesting to see if it gets better on the way home today.
We have had our Teslas for 3 years and 18 months respectively. Lane centering is usually good but even now we get some really odd behavior in ordinary traffic. Yesterday, a bicyclist was riding in the bike lane and as my 3 approached him from behind the car suddenly crammed on the brakes even though he was planted in the bike lane.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Took me longer for the back and forth oscillating to stop. But I also received an updat, so not sure of the fix.

The issue returned after another update for several hundred miles, then disappeared. Also received another update around the same time, so once again, I am unsure as to the fix. Been good for last 6K miles.

It was so bad at first that I called service. They said be patient....

Using NOAP I’ve found that the car struggles to stay in the center of the lane to the point that my wife complained that the back and forth swerve made it tough for her to read in the back seat. ... Is this normal?

No, "swerve" to the point of discomfort is not normal even during the 'break in' period.

I would be interested in seeing a video of the car swerving back and forth.

Reactions: Pegann
I've noticed this to a lesser degree -- I don't think any passengers would notice, but driving straight down a straight highway I can feel the steering wheel go left, right, left, right, left, right, like it's oscillating between the left and right lane markers. It hasn't improved much in 2k miles.

Sounds like the normal oscillation problem, which should go away eventually. It's not normal, but seems to show up for a few people after software updates. Kind of as if the camera/reality calibration was reset and needs to converge on a new setting. In rare cases where it doesn't go away the Service Center may need to adjust the cameras.

Unless it is the lane widening problem, where the lane lines between a merge lane and the right lane disappear and AP steers to the middle of the combined wide lane instead of sticking to its own lane. It used to be pretty aggressive about that, but seems a bit better now. But its a programming thing, not a calibration, and it won't go away just by waiting. The solution is to not use the right-hand lane if this is a problem.

Thanks everyone. It did seem a bit better on the 180 mile drive home today, although traffic was heavier so there were cars to follow. Still did the swerve to some degree, but not nearly as bad and more intermittent. I also experienced the wide lane / lane merge issue to the point it kicked off AP a couple times. That issue definitely needs to be fixed.

Thanks everyone. It did seem a bit better on the 180 mile drive home today, although traffic was heavier so there were cars to follow. Still did the swerve to some degree, but not nearly as bad and more intermittent. I also experienced the wide lane / lane merge issue to the point it kicked off AP a couple times. That issue definitely needs to be fixed.

Post videos of your issue, if it seems abnormal to you. It’s really hard for people with a normally functioning autopilot to understand what is happening, with your description.

Sounds like the normal oscillation problem, which should go away eventually. It's not normal, but seems to show up for a few people after software updates. Kind of as if the camera/reality calibration was reset and needs to converge on a new setting. In rare cases where it doesn't go away the Service Center may need to adjust the cameras.

Unless it is the lane widening problem, where the lane lines between a merge lane and the right lane disappear and AP steers to the middle of the combined wide lane instead of sticking to its own lane. It used to be pretty aggressive about that, but seems a bit better now. But its a programming thing, not a calibration, and it won't go away just by waiting. The solution is to not use the right-hand lane if this is a problem.
Things do get squirrelly from time to time, especially after an update. Sometimes they go away over night but I have taken to shutting of the power for three minutes and then doing a screen reset. Helps with most issues.

Unless it is the lane widening problem, where the lane lines between a merge lane and the right lane disappear and AP steers to the middle of the combined wide lane instead of sticking to its own lane.

This is a variant of the situation when Autosteer on my P3 is dangerous.

There are stretches of multi lane highway in Dallas where parts of a lane are patched without repainted lane markers. A human can easily deduce where the actual lane is but AP thinks that there’s suddenly a super wide single lane and Autosteer guides the car right in between both lanes. Combine this with the unreliable object detection and you end up in a dangerous situation where the car cuts off other vehicles while it repositions itself between two lanes.

That’s not theoretical. It’s what my P3 did the last time I used AP. Why oh why does it perform sooo poorly in August 2019?!?

There are stretches of multi lane highway in Dallas where parts of a lane are patched without repainted lane markers. ... Why oh why does it perform sooo poorly in August 2019?!?

It's a driver assist system, despite the "Autopilot" name. If you see a situation where you know it will not perform properly, it is your job as the operator to be in control. Perhaps you should go back to the manual and read the section under "About Autopilot," under "Limitations," especially the part that says:

"Never depend on these components to keep you safe. It is the driver's responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times."

• Disagree
Reactions: Octo
It's a driver assist system, despite the "Autopilot" name. If you see a situation where you know it will not perform properly, it is your job as the operator to be in control. Perhaps you should go back to the manual and read the section under "About Autopilot," under "Limitations," especially the part that says:

"Never depend on these components to keep you safe. It is the driver's responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times."

Yeah, I understand that. I would never use it irresponsibly.

My point is that it performs poorly when it cannot even stay in a lane on a highway with lane “markers” that a child could follow easily.

And that it is dangerous if it makes idiotic decisions when it fails due to its primitive vision.

• Disagree
Reactions: edigest