Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get 120+ regularly. Definitely a regular 75D. Actually was a 60D at delivery.

FWIW, here's a photo I took this summer. It corroborates @Asterix187 's observations. I've gotten beyond 130kw once but that was the update that unleashed the higher charging back in early 2019. I haven't seen >129kw since.

Gotta love that yellow ring.

Attachments

• 2019-07-06.jpg
    2019-07-06.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 632
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I believe the original type 85 packs from 2012 to 2015 were only 400VDC packs, even the early ones that maxed out at 90kw supercharging. At least from everyone that I have seen...

Yup, I have a 2012 85kWh "A" pack, my supercharging has always been limited to 90kw with a relatively fast taper, everyone else's "nerfed" charging is my "normal". Back in 2012 charging at 90kw was like amaze-balls, even supercharging at Harris Ranch with the 1 supercharger in a gas station parking lot.

Got my original battery pack revision "B" (unsure of the part#) replaced over the weekend and just picked up my car. To my surprise, I now have a new battery showing a ~92% charge to be 265mi and according to the app, 100% is 288mi!!! I initially thought I got a 90kWH pack as a replacement but when I picked it up, battery label shows a part# 1014116-00-A with 85kWh, 350VDC (vs the old pack 400VDC) Hopefully this pack does delivered the original performance or more, but my initial feeling is that my car is slower - but that might be because of the P85D+ loaner that I was driving for the past 2 weeks. I will see if I can talk to someone knowledgeable at Tesla to see what I can find out. In the meantime, what do you guys think of this?

As one of those with an MS85D who has had his battery capped with a loss of 30 miles and having both contacted Tesla through their Service Department as well as written to them direct, having received no response, can I ask what route you took to get the HVBP replaced?

Are you one of those that had the message come up on 40.2.3 stating charge limited and contact SC?

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Got my original battery pack revision "B" (unsure of the part#) replaced over the weekend and just picked up my car. To my surprise, I now have a new battery showing a ~92% charge to be 265mi and according to the app, 100% is 288mi!!! I initially thought I got a 90kWH pack as a replacement but when I picked it up, battery label shows a part# 1014116-00-A with 85kWh, 350VDC (vs the old pack 400VDC) Hopefully this pack does delivered the original performance or more, but my initial feeling is that my car is slower - but that might be because of the P85D+ loaner that I was driving for the past 2 weeks. I will see if I can talk to someone knowledgeable at Tesla to see what I can find out. In the meantime, what do you guys think of this?

I can't find it in your posts, but what was the problem with your old pack that needed replacement? Was it throwing errors?

I can't find it in your posts, but what was the problem with your old pack that needed replacement? Was it throwing errors?

My apology. I should've mentioned that in my original post.

I always balance my cells from time to time just so that my battery gauge is accurate by letting it go to single digit (sometimes 0!) and charge it back up to 100%. After the infamous update that reduced range for alot of people (which I don't really care about reduced range) it started to charge upto 99% only when I set it for 100%. Later, only 98% then 97%. I did call in to have the remote diag. team to look at the battery and they said it is fine. some time went by and shortly after the latest update w/ an improved battery diag. algorithm for detecting bad batteries, it gave me a "Maximum Charging Range Limited" error on New Years Eve and I could not charged pass 46% (essentially the new firmware disabled problematic cells/modules) but I could use the full 46% w/o any issue. Called SC and they passed the case over to online diag. team and they determined that my battery needs to be replaced and set me up with an appointment 2 days after. It took about 2 weeks for my battery to be shipped from CA and installed. :)