Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it’s just an inferior pack (should get canbus data). Interesting
it could be degraded. One possible source of these new packs is older 100 packs that had 2 modules removed to create a working 350V.

I still think they intend to batterygate cap them to original 85 capacity. It gives them less risk of failure and reduces the chances of abundance of caution downgrades later and still satisfies legal replacement requirements.

Reactions: Knightowl
There's this video where Gruber opens up a pack, puts some of the modules on a bench and snips one of the fuse wires to "repair" the module by disconnecting a bad cell.

I imagine there's a corner in Fremont or sparks or a subcontracted shop down the street where they break down returned packs and classify modules by chemistry and wear levels.

The workflow would be:

1) standardize on a pack (or two?) that satisfy as many repair cases as possible; refurbished modules will go into these packs
2) identify which cells / chemistry / modules *never* get repaired vs those that can be put back into service
3) build a disassembly line where returned packs get broken down and their components recycled or put into the testing / refurbishing chain
4) for every part that's a candidate to refurbish, build tooling for testing / evaluating / validating the modules
5) modules get sorted by remaining capacity and chemistry (presumably the BMS expects all the cells in all the modules to be roughly comparable, and has settings to tune distinct profiles for a given chemistry)
6) evaluate incoming demand for refurbished packs and match up requested capacity with available module supplies to make packs that are roughly the same capacity as the one that's being replaced.

The fact that this particular battery is not giving. 285 range is interesting. Maybe it’s been software locked to bring in line with other 85s? Maybe it’s just an inferior pack (should get canbus data). Interesting

Well for the sake of data I ran it down to 6% then charged to my normal 90% last night, 90% shows 234miles of range so extrapolating out 100% on this new battery would be 260milles of range. I am very happy with that.

New to the club!
I am getting a new battery pack for my 2015 Tesla Model S P85D, the part number is 1014116-00-B ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX

Is that a good pack or some sort of old refurbished 90kwh packs?

1014116-00 is the new 350v battery pack.

Just noticed that his part# is 1014116-00-B (REVISION B) and it is showing as 90KWH. The one I had 1 year ago was 1014116-00-A and it was showing as a 85KWH pack (but in reality, it is better than the original 90kWH pack) Perhaps they realized they can just relabel it as a new 90KWH pack in revision B. TopGunVG, can you charge it up 100% to see what's the max mileage is? I also don't see that part number listed in the parts catalog as well. very interesting!

Just noticed that his part# is 1014116-00-B (REVISION B) and it is showing as 90KWH. The one I had 1 year ago was 1014116-00-A and it was showing as a 85KWH pack (but in reality, it is better than the original 90kWH pack) Perhaps they realized they can just relabel it as a new 90KWH pack in revision B. TopGunVG, can you charge it up 100% to see what's the max mileage is? I also don't see that part number listed in the parts catalog as well. very interesting!
Now I'm even more disappointed that I was given a reconditioned 2013 battery for my 2015 Model S. It's the oldest Model S battery in Australia!

14 modules instead of 16 = 7/8 capacity of a new 100 pack is roughly 87.5 kWh.

Apparently the 1014116-00-A was "85 kWh" and the -B is "90 kWh". Probably still 87.5, but now Tesla is rounding up instead of down?

14 modules instead of 16 = 7/8 capacity of a new 100 pack is roughly 87.5 kWh.

Apparently the 1014116-00-A was "85 kWh" and the -B is "90 kWh". Probably still 87.5, but now Tesla is rounding up instead of down?
I guess there are cases of 90 batteries failing or it is a move to anticipate this...
It make sense to label the battery as a 90, instead of a 85.
If I had a failed 90 battery, I'd be questioning the Sec why I get a 85 labeled one as a replacement.

I am supposedly due for a battery replacement for my 2013 Model S P85 - the 12v error was popping up - so I replaced it myself with a Gruber battery. It was still throwing random errors after that and undrivable - during a call, Tesla service told me my HV battery likely needs replacing. Oof

• Love
Reactions: gmo43
I am supposedly due for a battery replacement for my 2013 Model S P85 - the 12v error was popping up - so I replaced it myself with a Gruber battery. It was still throwing random errors after that and undrivable - during a call, Tesla service told me my HV battery likely needs replacing. Oof
Keep us posted on what the error was and what battery you get. Remember they should replace it with a battery that gives you same range or better. Don't get screwed.

Reactions: Droschke