Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does your consumption (kWh on the screen) say when you drive using 85% of the battery in a single trip?
212 miles is about what I get when driving 75 mph from a full battery in the summer with air conditioning on in our 2013 Model S, the (EPA rated) range display still shows ~255 miles range when 100% charged, what does yours say?

I haven't done a single 90-5% drive in about a month, but it's anywhere from 45-60kWh. Range displayed at 100% usually says around 235-240, but I've only ever been able to get 185 miles once.

I ordered an adapter for SMT that should be here this week, so I'll definitely have a better look at all the stats then.

I haven't done a single 90-5% drive in about a month, but it's anywhere from 45-60kWh. Range displayed at 100% usually says around 235-240, but I've only ever been able to get 185 miles once.
I ordered an adapter for SMT that should be here this week, so I'll definitely have a better look at all the stats then.

Your car seems 100% normal. Drive and enjoy. I have my range display in % (not miles/km) for sanity sake. Never ran out of juice once, car is 7.5 years old and running perfectly after 130000 km (80000 miles).

Reactions: dark cloud
Alright, the update is in. Just got the car. Have not charged it yet. That will be a few day but so far the resukts compared to OP is consistent. Originally the top charge said 288 but when i slid the bar down and back it went down to 286. I believe the battery is in a mode of calibration to the car so thing will likely change. No power loss noticed. I'm like a kid in a candy store right now.

I'm curious to know your useable battery capacity on the new (to you) pack. You can calculate this by:

1) Entering the "Energy" display on the MCU and tap on "Consumption" then take the "Avg Wh/mi" figure from the left side of the graph and multiply that by the "Projected mi Range" figure.

2) Take that number and divide it by your current SOC% in decimal format (go to Display and check on battery as a %). Divide that figure by 1,000 to convert that into kWh.

My 11/13 built S85 with 98K miles on it calculates to 71.64kW useable capacity. I believe it was around 77kWh when new and before software 2019.16.X...I had 74.1 kWh about a year ago.

SC appointment on Aug 5 at Vancouver W 4th. DU clunkiness, contactor impedance alerts(also balloon squeal sounds on hard acceleration) and BMS Brick sense 6 alerts. Suspension inspection/re-torque and maybe alignment if needed. ALSO checking if my car has had the power steering voluntary bolt recall as it was Alberta driven. (Constant EPAS alerts and hwy steering play) I have the type B 85kWh battery with 72.8kWh capacity remaining. Very concerned for DU clunk and battery contactors failing as my BMS begins to aggressively limit cell V as it picks up more inconsistencies. Anything else I should check for or mention to SC about my car?

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43
My 2013 MS 85 "died" July 20th. Battery being replaced and is supposed to be done July 31st. I'll let you know what I get.

Any update at all, Haymaker?

My 2014 P85D battery is also being replaced currently... I expect it to be done early/mid next week I think. I have seen some P85Ds being replaced with 90kW packs, refurbished old PN 85kW packs, and now the new PN 85kW pack. Curious to find out which one I get. Hopefully either the new 85, or the 90, but not holding my breath on either!

Looks like I did not win the battery lottery.
Invoice reads: MDLS Reman (1088815-01-D) Same ol' charging rate at SC. Still hoping for more range than my old battery. Will charge fully tonight.

I'm receiving the same battery (1088815-01-D) for my 2013 85. I was only showing an estimated 205 mile max range before my HV battery went out a week and a half ago. Hoping to see the 242mi number you are getting as I haven't seen range like that since batterygate.

I also received one of the new 350V 85 kWH REMAN packs. I was surprises as I have a P85DL and wasn't sure if it would have enough power @ 350V but coming from a normal 85 kWH pack it seems to have gained a little, not lost but only based on seat of pants feel and reading the dash gauge. Below is the part number and description from my Tesla service. Also my first 4 supercharge visits. Unfortunately it seems there is some issue keeping me from charging at full speed. Any ideas? Was thinking the supercharger cable thermal issue could be responsible.

ASY-HV BATTERY,85KWH,REMAN,SX
Part #: 1597780-01-A

upload_2020-9-9_12-9-58.png

coming from a normal 85 kWH pack it seems to have gained a little
Since you have a Ludicrous car this is encouraging!

Full charging speed may be permanently managed to avoid future plating that could force big throttling later. Cold fast charging most of all, probably.

There are a few people with original 85-A packs that have boasted how their 90kW peak rated packs were never batterygated like later 120 packs impacted now. I think there's something to be said for their battery health that goes beyond just good fortune, and I know I would have preferred a longer useful battery life to a briefly higher peak rate followed by reductions. You aren't reaching 120kW but you are keeping much higher speeds than my "nothing is wrong with your battery" 400v and should be done charging long before me if we plug in next to one another.

How does your regen performance feel at assorted temperatures? That is another aspect of lithium plating that will need to be long term managed from day one to maintain long term health.

It's encouraging they are still building these packs, I hope that means they are nearing a genuine cure to batterygate's band aids we suffer through for now.

Last edited:
I also received one of the new 350V 85 kWH REMAN packs. I was surprises as I have a P85DL and wasn't sure if it would have enough power @ 350V but coming from a normal 85 kWH pack it seems to have gained a little, not lost but only based on seat of pants feel and reading the dash gauge. Below is the part number and description from my Tesla service. Also my first 4 supercharge visits. Unfortunately it seems there is some issue keeping me from charging at full speed. Any ideas? Was thinking the supercharger cable thermal issue could be responsible.

ASY-HV BATTERY,85KWH,REMAN,SX
Part #: 1597780-01-A

View attachment 586288
Are you sure that's a 350V pack? What does the sticker behind the passenger front wheel say (turn the steering wheel hard left)? I ask because (a) that's a new part number - 1597780 doesn't appear in a TMC search, and (b) "REMAN" in the description means, well, it's remanufactured, ie, not new.

For what it's worth, my P85+ got the standard 1088815-01-E reman last week - "ASY,HV BATTERY,S3BB,REMAN,MDLS (1088815-01-E)." I haven't yet reconnected my CAN cable to poke around with Scan My Tesla

Teslafi is reporting max range of 252-253 on the new battery (small data set, only a couple of charges) vs 250-252 just before the BMS went loopy.