Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Edmunds' Article. Mach-E GT vs MYP.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first thing you have to know is the auto press, and many youtubers, are paid significant sums of $ for advertising and/or press junket trips.
All legacy makers do this.

Tesla does not.

You will not get any "unbiased" opinions. You will get heavily biased opinions and regurgatation of press materials that the company wants buyers to hear.
The only mainstream auto press that is not biased is Consumer Reports. Whatever you think of them, the money does not flow from the spigot everyone else is drinking from.

Look at it all as "car review entertainment and advertising content". That's all 99% of it is.
If Ford gets people to talk about the Mach E as a competior to Tesla, they already earned their ad budget.

The first thing you have to know is the auto press, and many youtubers, are paid significant sums of $ for advertising and/or press junket trips.

Tesla does not.

You will not get any "unbiased" opinions. You will get heavily biased opinions and regurgatation of press materials that the company wants buyers to hear.
The only mainstream auto press that is not biased is Consumer Reports. Whatever you think of them, the money does not flow from the spigot everyone else is drinking from.

Look at it all as "car review entertainment and advertising content". That's all 99% of it is.
If Ford gets people to talk about the Mach E as a competior to Tesla, they already earned their ad budget.

And that's why this guy is a legend.

I know this will sound crazy to some, but I'm old and I remember things. The crap that Ford put out in the 80's turned me against their products for many decades. Electrical problems abound! Never owned one but I worked on enough to stay away. The first Ford product I would have bought was the Maverick hybrid pick up and only because it was so great on gas and was a pickup. The problem was, I wasn't willing to pay their crazy dealer markup for the ones popping up on their dealer lots every now and then. Ford prohibited markup on direct orders but you couldn't order one this century, it seems. Once Tesla dropped the price, I gave Ford the middle finga and got my Y. Don't know about the ME but the Lightning suffers really bad in cold weather. To the point folks are selling them.

Reactions: gt2690b

Tesla does not.

Consumers Union gets money from legacy automakers, both in the form of donations and as part of CR's car buying service. So they do drink from the same spigot.

And let’s not forget Alfred Sloan previous CEO of GM. Definitely no bias with those primary contributors….
You bet, lots of ties between Consumer Reports and car manufacturers. In addition to direct donations (Ford) CR also gets fees for sending car buyers to TrueCar, which is funded by 13,000 car dealers and by automobile manufacturers (not Tesla).

Being nonprofit doesn't mean unbiased.

The Ford Foundation is a different entity from FoMoCo
I don't see a conflict with TrueCar either. They are very transparent about all their financials.

CR is very different from most that accept promo pkgs, trips and ad dollars.

I don't listen to any of them for car buying but do give weight to CR, and a few real auto reviewers.
CR also is pretty well accurate with a lot of product reviews and despite any hidden bias, which I honestly don't think there are many, they are pretty solid for information.

• Disagree
Reactions: coleman567
IMO, CR's way of accumulating and weighing their data is flawed which affects the trustworthiness of their ratings, especially their predicted reliability score.

They can also arbitrarily decide to put more weight on some things over another which sometimes seem to involve bias. Especially when it comes to Tesla.

With the Mach-E on the other hand, they were mum for a while until they could not ignore the issues anymore. Hard to trust a publication like that.

IMO, CR's way of accumulating and weighing their data is flawed which affects the trustworthiness of their ratings, especially their predicted reliability score.

They can also arbitrarily decide to put more weight on some things over another which sometimes seem to involve bias. Especially when it comes to Tesla.

With the Mach-E on the other hand, they were mum for a while until they could not ignore the issues anymore. Hard to trust a publication like that.
@john5520 No double standard there, CR gave Tesla the same benefit of the doubt for reliability.

When the Model S came out CR praised it and gave it a top notch rating, I think it was their highest ever at the time, despite lack of reliability data for a brand new car. Then the reliability issues became clear and CR pulled their recommendation.

Sounds like CR gave the Mach-E the same benefit of the doubt over reliability. Seems consistent at least. 🤷‍♂️

(Of course the Mach-E situation is very different from the original Model S. Tesla took care of us early adopters, and iterated quickly, often replacing parts with updated versions that actually addressed root causes. Not to mention the steady stream of smooth OTA software updates. From what I've read Ford and their dealerships haven't provided anything like that experience to make up for the Mach-E's issues. And there's plenty of competition that seems more reliable and better engineered.)