Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EPA calculated range for 2024. LR is now 335 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Jayskywalker21

New EPA calculations.
All Teslas range is less despite no change to hardware or battery.

So my recent 2023 MX LR really has 335 mile, not 348 mile range
Watch for Tesla to remove Creep and Roll modes, leaving only one pedal driving. The EPA decided to average all three modes to determine range, so Tesla are going to drop the inefficient modes so they can quote the better ranges achieved with that mode.

Ack! Using Roll mode is extremely handy when backing my MYLR to hitch up to my travel trailer. Tapping the accelerator while reversing in Hold mode makes the car jerk toward the trailer hitch with literally very little room for error. Overshooting will drive the trailer hitch into the rear bumper. I was usually terrified of hitching up before I thought of switching to Roll, just during those moments.

Since there are so very few Supercharger stalls which allow charging while hitched up, unhitching and rehitching is required 3-5 times each day on a road trip (recall that normal range is cut in half when trailering). Additional times for those who also drive after dark.

Could we retain this feature while using Trailer mode?

Tesla, please give this action additional thought. You folks are usually so smart, but poking holes in our bumpers just to increase your mileage numbers is not clever.

Definitely not there on my 22 X. I don't think I every used them on 2017 X.

When I drive an ICE car I have to do a quick retraining to remember to press the brake pedal coming up to a stop.

Same with older Teslas. It's mildly disconcerting and annoying that my 2015 Model S and 2022 Model X drive so differently.

(Yeah I know first world problems...)

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210
Ack! Using Roll mode is extremely handy when backing my MYLR to hitch up to my travel trailer. Tapping the accelerator while reversing in Hold mode makes the car jerk toward the trailer hitch with literally very little room for error. Overshooting will drive the trailer hitch into the rear bumper. I was usually terrified of hitching up before I thought of switching to Roll, just during those moments.

Since there are so very few Supercharger stalls which allow charging while hitched up, unhitching and rehitching is required 3-5 times each day on a road trip (recall that normal range is cut in half when trailering). Additional times for those who also drive after dark.

Could we retain this feature while using Trailer mode?

Tesla, please give this action additional thought. You folks are usually so smart, but poking holes in our bumpers just to increase your mileage numbers is not clever.
I find it easier to use both pedals when attaching a trailer. Keep brake pressed, ans give moderate throttle. Slowly release brake. Finer control than trying to use the accelerator. Car beeps/warns pressing both pedals; ignore.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
My 2022 MX was 349 miles fully charged, now it is 336 miles, is that because of battery degradation or because of new EPA rating? It is 19 months old and 10k miles.
It is the new EPA scale. You will just have to recalibrate your brain to use a different scale. Another example of why displaying % Energy is easier to grasp. 100% is still 100%.

It is the new EPA scale. You will just have to recalibrate your brain to use a different scale. Another example of why displaying % Energy is easier to grasp. 100% is still 100%.
Negative. Roy's is 'degradation' the EPA change is only for 'new' vehicles. Yours (and mine) still exaggerate the real world range.
If Tesla reduced the 'alleged range' on existing cars, they'd have a ton of lawsuits on their hands. The cars 'met' the EPA requirements at time of sale. You can't change it after the car is sold. (well, not in this sense).

And No, miles is how far thing are apart. Grandma's house is 20 miles away. Not 8% away.

Roy, I think your EPA was 348 like mine, if that's true, you have 96.55% the capacity you had 'new'. Degradation is not linear. You're fine.

Reducing an EV to a singe number (Range) is a deeply flawed system.
We should be provided a 3D chart that shows range across temperatures and average speeds. A simple graph that shows how each car does across more real world temps and speed. (40-80 mph) 0F to 80F and 10 to 20 degree / MPH increments. I think this is the best way to show how any vehicle performs, at a glance.

Although, hopefully one day it's moot, as I've never seen 'range' listed on the EPA sticker for any gas car...

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl