Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highland UK - stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a boot powered strut failure and whilst my car was in for repair (and HVAC recall) I had a nice long test drive in a RWD.
Driving to Bristol in my car the wipers were very slow to clear the screen due to the type of light rain and spray. When I drove the Highland from Bristol to my home and back to Bristol the wipers performed perfectly in the same type of rain. Drove my car back from Bristol and wipers were poor!
I wonder what's changed to make them work so well?
The indicators and gear selection didn't give me any issues. The car is a lot quieter than mine particularly on old noisy motorway tarmac and is much more forgiving over pot holes, etc.
I liked the look of the steering wheel but didn't find it as comfortable as the old one.
Would I get swap to TMH? Well I'd like one, but it's to early to replace my current car and I'd like to see more of the model 2...

Reactions: Jules22
I liked the look of the steering wheel but didn't find it as comfortable as the old one.
I found this when I first got my M3HLR, I have figured that its designed to be held at 9 and 3 rather than 10 and 2. at 9 and 3 its a lot more comfortable to hold, and there are "bolsters" on the back of the wheel to grip.

I have had not issues to date after covering 400 miles with it. Adapted to the lack of stalks quite easily. Some instances are easier than others but none are impossible. I also find the headlight flash and single wipe a lot more natural on the wheel.

I guess it is a bit like that old adage goes "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - my point being, not everyone will adapt, but not everyone will struggle.

I guess it is a bit like that old adage goes "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - my point being, not everyone will adapt, but not everyone will struggle.
Ah ha ... you reckoned without the mudskipper! 😁
mudskipper.png

I have a 2022 MSLR with a yoke. I never test drove before I drove it off the lot. I was looking forward to something new. The turn signals are easy to find as they have a raised line between them. It took me a week to learn how to use them about 90% without hitting the wrong one. It took about three weeks to learn them 100%. I go through two traffic circles on the way home. They are narrow one lane and we don't use turn signals. We always yield in these small neighborhood circles. I know what a three point turn (TPT) is. But the OP saying signaling in this type of turn doesn't make sense to me. Look at our TPT as a tight U turn. The turn direction is just one direction, never changing. So signal once before initiating.
I have the same MSLR. I still have not gotten used to the stupid buttons, nor have many other New S drivers. There are many where I live and I consistently notice drivers of the New S tend use their indicators far less than drivers of older S or other models. Not just on roundabouts, but in many normal situations. Clearly these buttons are unsafe and should have never been allowed. This would be a recall I would actually support!

I'll hazard a guess that any such claim won't get very far, seeing they have been approved for use in several countries by several safety regulators and are being used just fine by many people daily.

I think there are 3rd party options for those who are really struggling that badly with the buttons.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I think there are 3rd party options for those who are really struggling that badly with the buttons.

For the most part its people that dont have button that struggle with them as far as I can see including me that has not tried.

Having said that, riding a scooter many years ago, I did curse who ever thought it was a good idea to put a brake where the clutch should be.... Live and learn...

For the most part its people that dont have button that struggle with them as far as I can see including me that has not tried.

Having said that, riding a scooter many years ago, I did curse who ever thought it was a good idea to put a brake where the clutch should be.... Live and learn...
Yeah, it really takes all of five minutes to get used to. The video with the roundabouts I posted earlier in this thread was filmed two days after I took delivery.

I do appreciate that not everyone adapts as quickly, but to say they are unsafe is completely false.

I do appreciate that not everyone adapts as quickly, but to say they are unsafe is completely false.

It's not false to those that say it though. it's either a mindset thing or from short experience... I couldn't say but I certainly would not make such argument with someone with more experience and open minded...it would be akin to an ICE car driver said EV's dont work for many reasons and us having our say that they do.

Personally, I dont think having no stalks would be a deal breaker if I was on the market for a new car but I admit my priorities are not inline with allot of folk around here.

Put it this way, before I got a chance to use the new system, if they'd had an option to take stalks and pay a small amount extra, I might have leaned slightly towards doing it.

Now after having the car for almost a month, I would have zero interest in going back to stalks.

Manufacturers look for any opporutnity to save cents and time/complexity in the production process. Removing stalks saves a very significant amount and reduces a lot of complexity for a solution that is as good or better. Several manufacturers have already toyed with it in limited production and concept vehicles, you can definitely expect them to start removing them in more and more vehicles now that Tesla have continued along this path in significant prodcution, particularly when the worlds best selling vehicle goes stalkless in the near future with Juniper.