Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HPWC is out (soon?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I spoke to ownership today to inquire about the plan to get HPWCs back up to 80A. I learned new hardware is now available. It's a complete swap, and is being coordinated via the service centers.

While I'm happy for a fix, I wish Tesla would have communicated earlier that it would be a complete swap. My HPWC was just installed last week. I wonder how much it's going to cost to swap out.

Andrew

I completely agree. Ours was recently installed, yet to be used since our car doesn't arrive until tomorrow. I could have lived with a non-HPWC work around had I known that there would it would be a hardware replacement. Why did they continue shipping them out as recently as a couple of weeks ago if they knew (or suspected) a hardware update would be required?

Heh.... I installed mine temporarily in a location with quick and easy access to a 240V/50A circuit about a week and a half ago. I'll probably take this as the opportunity to go ahead and get the second panel for ToU metering put in and run myself a 100A circuit to the ideal location I have in mind...

Very interested to see what the updated HPWC looks like. I am suspecting ventilation to reduce the internal temps. I am also wondering if they are just swapping out the unit itself and just transferring the cord to the new unit or doing the entire thing cord and all. First person who gets one please take lots of external and internal pictures pretty please!!

I only pray that it has the same locations for the cut-outs and the wiring terminals. That would make an easy swap-out. If it's "re-designed" so that I have to pull new wire I'll be a bit disappointed at the work. It wasn't easy to maneuver that wire in there in the first place. :)

Hmmm, Tesla strongly recommended getting an electrician to do the HPWC install; don't see how they can expect people to pay the electrician a second time around.

Like many others I feel like I know enough to swap out the unit myself but not everyone will if that's really what's required.

Last edited:
Hmmm, Trsla strongly recommended getting an electrician to do the HPWC install; don't see how they can expect people to pay the electrician a second time around.

Like many others I feel like I know enough to swap out the unit myself but not everyone will if that's really what's required.

Obviously I'll pay if I have to, but that would leave me quite upset. I suspect Tesla will cover some fixed amount just to avoid the negative press and potential for a class action suit.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Hmmm, Trsla strongly recommended getting an electrician to do the HPWC install; don't see how they can expect people to pay the electrician a second time around.

They did say that it would be at Tesla's expense when that note was posted on the web site.

Yes. I asked them if they were going to send the current (now old) model or the new one. I should be getting car in about 2 weeks so the hpwc should be showing up fairly soon. I didn't want to get the old, broken one only to have to swap it out in a few weeks.

Based on his response, I'd check with the SC again.

Phil

Just spoke with the local SC here and Tesla Ownership. The update is just a new set of fuses for the existing HPWC itself that are less sensitive, my guess slow-blow or less temp sensitive. They are having Rangers come out and swap out the fuses in some instances, it is a 5-10 minute job. So no worries about replacing the entire HPWC, it is just an updated set of fuses. I would contact your local service center and have them put a set of the updated fuses on order. Then the next part is if you can actually swap them yourself.
If you don't feel comfortable for example changing an outlet, I would not attempt it, ask your SC if they can just send out a Ranger to swap the fuses.
If you can handle an outlet change, tell the service center you are just going to have your electrician do it and your will pickup the fuses, then do it yourself, it is pretty straight forward.
1. Turn off power
2. Ensure power is off, no green light on the hpwc.
3. Use Torx bit and open case to HPWC, carefully remove cover and ribbon cable.
4. Use appropriate socket and remove fuses (I think they are 3/8 of maybe 7/16 socket).
5. Keep the old fuses so you can reinstall if thing go badly.
6. Put in new fuses in, tighten to proper torque spec.
7. Reconnect ribbon cable, replace cover.
8. Turn on breaker test operation at 80 amps and see what happens.

Something else that is interesting, the HPWC installation guide online has illustrations/pictures of the inside of the HPWC and it doesn't show any fuses between the wiring blocks and the contactor, it just looks like bars.

All of the other EVSE's I have ever had didn't have any fuses in them, they just had regular wires from the wiring block to the contactor.

@TurboFroggy - Thanks for sharing. Can you recall a first name (or PM me an email address if you have it) of who you spoke to, so that I can continue the conversation w/r/t to getting new fuses for mine?