Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jersey Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for slightly unrelated question (I couldn't find anything conclusive on the forums) - does PSEG NJ have peak/off-peak rates? I couldn't find anything on their website. We're going to be a 2 EV household now, so I'm thinking that it would be a significant saving.. appreciate any insight..

Reactions: rchivert
Sorry for slightly unrelated question (I couldn't find anything conclusive on the forums) - does PSEG NJ have peak/off-peak rates? I couldn't find anything on their website. We're going to be a 2 EV household now, so I'm thinking that it would be a significant saving.. appreciate any insight..
I believe PSE&G has an off-peak plan referred to as "RLM", which stands for Residential Load Management. With this plan, they replace your meeter and charge you more during peak hours (daytime) and less at night. Is this better? I think it depends on your power usage profile. You can probably learn more from their website.

Reactions: andydandy14
We’re going to be going from 0 to 2 EVs in less than a month. How many amps are you allocating for charging, and do you have a 200 amp service for your home?

We’re going to be going from 0 to 2 EVs in less than a month. How many amps are you allocating for charging, and do you have a 200 amp service for your home?
Unfortunately we live in a townhome that gets just 125 amp line. We’re likely not going to stay here very long so I’m not sure we will see good returns on upgrading our service (it can be really expensive to impossible). Fortunately for us, we drive about 30-40 miles per day, so even if we charge on alternate days, we are fine; in theory one car could manage on trickle charging as well. I’m keeping the amps below 20 to reduce load, haven’t needed more yet.

So PSEG does have peak/off-peak charging rates for EVs *BUT* Tesla Wall Connectors aren't eligible at this time. If you have a charger they support then you can enroll in the program. They only support ChargePoint and JuiceBox right now. I did a little digging through an industry contact and they believed the problem is that Tesla doesn't have a way to allow customers to share the charging data with PSEG.

Yes, they do. See attached. Pulled it from online somewhere.... I have a NEMA 14-50 plug.

IMG_1322.jpg

Reactions: andydandy14
Yes, they do. See attached. Pulled it from online somewhere.... I have a NEMA 14-50 plug.

View attachment 703580
RLM depends on the Smart Meter which may or may not be available - it isn't in the entirety of the service area yet. Individuals would need to contact them to see if they are available.

The other program (PSEG EV Smart Charging program) has a similar tariff and they'll kick in cash towards a supported charger installed after a certain date (mid-Jan 2021 IIRC).

My car got totaled due to flooding from Hurricane Ida. It wasn't a huge loss (2010 Honda with 250K miles), but totally unexpected. I've been wondering if any of the cars being delivered this weekend were damage in storage or transit....haven't heard anything but the the Paramus message above is crazy