Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Owner. FSD worth it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tn23

Oct 31, 2019
Canada
Hello everyone,

I am a new Model 3 owner, I currently put the down the deposit and am eagerly awaiting for my Model 3 SR.
At the time I placed the order I opt'd in for the FSD which was $7800, I checked back today on the Tesla page and FSD has gone up to $9200.

During my time here I have read many threads on people purchasing FSD years ago and regretting it and while some still continue to support it. My question is for all of you new model 3 owners that have purchased recently, did you guys OPT in for FSD? what made you Opt in or out?

I am located in Canada BC, and I am also just wondering what the chances of us getting to fully use FSD are, and how likely we would even get this implemented even if Tesla is able to achieve this in the near future?

I still have the ability to opt back out, however I know the price continues to creep higher and higher which has made me initially opt in.

Cheers,
Tn

Hello everyone,

I am a new Model 3 owner, I currently put the down the deposit and am eagerly awaiting for my Model 3 SR.
At the time I placed the order I opt'd in for the FSD which was $7800, I checked back today on the Tesla page and FSD has gone up to $9200.

During my time here I have read many threads on people purchasing FSD years ago and regretting it and while some still continue to support it. My question is for all of you new model 3 owners that have purchased recently, did you guys OPT in for FSD? what made you Opt in or out?

I am located in Canada BC, and I am also just wondering what the chances of us getting to fully use FSD are, and how likely we would even get this implemented even if Tesla is able to achieve this in the near future?

I still have the ability to opt back out, however I know the price continues to creep higher and higher which has made me initially opt in.

Cheers,
Tn

I would put that $$ towards the extra battery before considering FSD.

...future...

I agree with @DanH that I would make sure to get the longest range before paying for FSD.

Even if FSD will fail to realize as Robotaxi (driverless), I think I would still pay for it because I love its Auto Lane Change.

Everything else is just a bonus for me.

I don't expect unsupervised, driverless capability until decades from now.

In the meantime, I'll settle for supervised City Navigation on Autopilot in increments next year (even though it's promised to start this year).

+1 . The extra battery is something you can not upgrade later without buying a new car. FSD is something you could theoretically add later via software update. For me, the choice is obviously the larger battery since you cant add it later.

What is the difference between your ordered SR and a LR AWD in canadian dollars?

It depends how long you plan to own the car and how much you trust Elon’s timelines. FSD right now doesn’t add much expect the ability to auto lane change and summon (which is useless IMO, and I think it is under legal challenge in BC). Basically buying FSD now is buying something that doesn’t yet exist. Elon has grand ambitions for it, but as we all know he’s not so good at timelines. Even if FSD worked tomorrow, it would face at least a half decade of regulatory battles. Robotaxi is a great idea, but at least a decade away.

There’s also the issue of resale value. It’s probably too early to tell what future value software add ons will have, but I think you would get far more resale value from a larger battery.

I paid $4k for FSD a year or so ago as a leap of faith that it would be worth it. I tend to keep cars a long time.

Even with the limited features it has today I’m happy with the purchase. I would not; however, pay $7800 for it now. Today’s feature set isn’t worth that much to me.

It depends on the terrain.

If you live in an urban setting, or near one, access to fast Supercharging isn't a problem. Then the bigger battery isn't essential. What IS a problem is driving in bumper to bumper traffic, handling freeways with necessary merges and lane changes. Having NOA with drive-to-destination, automatic and manually initiated auto lane changes in NOA or AP/AS, is a blessing.

I live in the SF Bay Area. I never use just TACC. I'm not even sure how to turn that on. I normally drive the car 90% in NOA on freeways, and around 30% in AP/AS on city boulevards/streets. That's a lot of benefit. What FSD buys right now is the 3.0 hardware if you don't have it, NOA, summon, manually initiated auto-lane-change when out of NOA, and whatever more sophisticated automation Tesla gradually releases in the future, which I definitely want. It's important to understand that full "FSD" is not an SKU, or a specific spec, it's a process. $9200 Canadian or $7000 US is what it costs now, I'd finance the total and stop thinking about it.

Now, if you are in a rural setting, you don't drive much bumper-to-bumper, or on freeways, but maybe longer distances, your Superchargers are more distant, and then the base AP is adequate for 2 lane roads, and the bigger battery might be more important.

But note also that charging at home, be it 240 or 120 volts, is fine if you don't drive a long commute every day. I find that if I plug the mobile charger into a good quality 120 volt extension cord when I get home, even with 5 miles added per hour, it's ready with enough charge when I need to go.

Road trips with Supercharger stops are fine. Some extra battery capacity doesn't eliminate the need to charge on trips, does it? I think it only really matters where there are so few Superchargers that you might have to actually drive > 300 miles between them.

Last edited:
I agree with putting the money towards a bigger battery before fsd....especially since autopilot is now included. After having my car for 13months...going through all 4 seasons, cold weather creeping up again, loss of range with decreased temps and battery degradation on top of it...I can’t honestly say it’s absolutely true when people say “Range is King” when it comes to ev’s. Sure superchargers might “help” you get by with a SR. But if having a LR means you never have to visit a supercharger unless you’re on a long road trip...it’s 1000% worth it.

That being said I paid for enhanced autopilot and would make the same decision today. FSD....I’m still on the fence and haven’t upgraded yet.

A special note since you live in BC, please read.

• "Navigate on Autopilot" does NOT work (option not available) on most, if any, highways in BC.
  • Smart Summon is DISALLOWED by ICBC in public parking lots (recent decision)
  • Regular Summon is fairly restricted in Canada (must be right next to the car, only works through app)
You're not getting anything for your $9200 in BC.

EDIT:
Last statement was too strong. You get auto lane change when holding the signal stalk when using Autosteer. I think that's it, other than the nerfed Summon.

I should also note that due to our very messy and mucky winters, you'd have a hard time keeping all your sensors/cameras clean so that FSD features can function depending on where you tend to drive.

EDIT2: Yeah yeah I forgot about Autopark. It's present but be aware of its limitations (needs to park next to another car, is a bit slow, may still bump something very rarely).

Last edited:
A special note since you live in BC, please read.

• "Navigate on Autopilot" does NOT work (option not available) on most, if any, highways in BC.
  • Smart Summon is DISALLOWED by ICBC in public parking lots (recent decision)
  • Regular Summon is fairly restricted in Canada (must be right next to the car, only works through app)
You're not getting anything for your $9200 in BC.

EDIT:
Last statement was too strong. You get auto lane change when holding the signal stalk when using Autosteer. I think that's it, other than the nerfed Summon.

I should also note that due to our very messy and mucky winters, you'd have a hard time keeping all your sensors/cameras clean so that FSD features can function depending on where you tend to drive.

This. We had our first dusting of snow last week (AB) my Model 3 refused to activate AP because it couldn’t see the road lines. With the already limited features FSD brings, I still think it has to be years away before it is truly viable. And then you’ve got to worry about regulatory approval, which we know will be slow in Canada.

Would be great if you could just add features à la carte. But I’d recommend either upgrading to LR, or invest the $7,800 you planned on spending and hope the returns are greater than the any price increases Tesla plans.

Reactions: camalaio
Hello everyone,

Cheers,
Tn
If you do any highway driving or sit in traffic, it’s worth it. I’m glad I purchased FSD. Getting all the new features to try out is also fun even if they are initially half-baked.

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
If you do any highway driving or sit in traffic, it’s worth it. I’m glad I purchased FSD. Getting all the new features to try out is also fun even if they are initially half-baked.

This could perhaps benefit both me and the OP, since we're both in BC.

If FSD features worked here, what benefits does FSD offer on highways or general traffic that makes it worth it (keeping in mind regular AP is available)? Is it simply the auto lane change that's worth it for $9200?

Hell no, do NOT buy FSD with your car.

Tesla has shown time and time again that they will put this feature on sale to generate revenue. I guarantee it will be sold for cheaper than what is available now sometime in the next months.

Feel free to believe some dude on the Internet and his guarantee but maybe do a test drive in a FSD car. See if it’s worth it to you. I don’t think robotaxi’s will show by Elon’s timeline but hey, if it does, cool!

Personally, I have a ton of highway driving that gets congested so FSD made sense for me. Going back... I’d have just paid a bit more and gone LR instead.

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I’m in Vancouver area, the auto lane change works alright, as noted by another poster, there aren’t a whole lot of place where navigate on autopilot work unless you live along one of the main corridors.

i have the navigate on autopilots lane change turned off because the mapping takes me out of the correct lane often and there’s not really a good way to tell the car “no, don’t do it”. It will keep nagging you to the limits of your sanity.

autopark needs more programming and has needed it for as long as I’ve owned the car. My wife’s golf self parks better and it’s from 2016.

Don’t bother with summon unless you have a very empty parking lot.

I don’t regret getting it, the features are fun, but a non necessity.

do you live in a condo with limited charging options or a house with 240v available? Do you commute a long distance for work? These are the questions you need to answer when listening to others telling you to go for a bigger battery instead. Personally, after living with a model 3 in Vancouver area for a year which included what is a cold winter here a bigger battery isn’t really necessary if you have a charger always available and preheat your car in the winter. I’ll average about 70kms a day. I come nowhere close to using up my battery.

If in other parts of Canada, I would not be saying this, but in metro Van, it’s no major concern.
If you’re going to sell the car in a few years, FSD May be better for resale, it I haven’t seen evidence of this yet.

I’m in North Van, if you’re in this area, I’d be happy to show you the features to help you decide what’s right for you.

cheers.

Personally, I have a ton of highway driving that gets congested so FSD made sense for me. Going back... I’d have just paid a bit more and gone LR instead

What part of FSD helps with that? In my experience the auto lane change is more of a gimmick than anything else. The autopilot itself is 90% of the value and is already included with the car.

Also im not just "some dude on the internet", I'm speaking from personal experience where they sold it for cheaper after delivery. You can find this info from many sources, not just me. They will do it again.

• Funny
Reactions: GeoX750 and Matsayz
Faced the same issue when we bought our 3 last June. The Tesla sales guy recommended putting the FSD dollars towards the extended range, in reference to the car, this was the best choice. We live in the Fraser Valley.

Hello everyone,

Cheers,
Tn

Reactions: afadeev