Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Yggdrasill, do you have your Model-S set to Ludicrous mode? Sure seems that way. There are people on this forum that are clearly well educated in the area of statistics and poll creation. Judging by your comments, you have no such training. I understand that you're learning a lot from these discussions, but it would be best if you went to the library and learned from a good stats book. You would learn a lot more, in a more logical sequence. At the very least, don't argue, just ask questions as to why all these polls are badly designed or why a question is poorly written.
I have learned nothing, as no information I didn't already know has been presented. Maybe you should be less condescending?

One thing I think people are overlooking about these seats is that while they sacrifice length-wise storage, they improve height-wise storage, and judging by the form factor of the seats, by quite a bit. I'm unconvinced this is generally a bad tradeoff. If you're carrying lots of boxes, it's probably a wash and might even give you a little more flexibility for mixed sizes since you can get taller stuff in back and smaller stuff on the forward seats (cubic footage does not change). If you're moving furniture, you can carry taller pieces than you could otherwise carry if they had to rest on the seats themselves. Certainly, there are situations (lumber seems to be the main one popping up) where this is less desirable, but I'm not sure it's "net bad" for the larger market, especially when you factor in comfort, which I'm sure you all recall has been a very frequent criticism of Model S seats.

I do feel really bad for those who three years ago saw the picture, put money down, needed the length-wise storage and are now learning the vehicle won't meet their needs. But I'm not sure these folks are representative of the luxury SUV market. Among towing, hitching and the in-car storage advertised, I'd wager most market use cases are well-covered.

The Model X image seems to be with the 2nd row seats available for use. But out of curiosity, how many inches is that in the Volt, from the rear hatch to the front seats?

When the front seats are in a comfortable position for me and my wife, the Volt has a little over 5 feet from the back of the front seats to the rear hatch.

When I push the front passenger seat fully forward, and tilted forward, I remember measuring 6' 10" inches diagonally from from the rear hatch to the front seatback. (If I remove the rear-seat seat cushions the rear seatbacks fold completely flat, and I can use a milk crate to make over 6 feet of horizontal space. The milk crate fits perfectly in the space between front seatbacks and the rear seat headrest fits inside the crate so it is a 100% flat space. Great for camping out!)

This is a CGI bike in the Tesla photo, correct? So, couldn't we use a CGI banana and have the same amount of confidence in the "to scale" reliability of the bike?

I'm not so sure it's CGI. My thought is that they are actual photos, with perhaps some photoshopping (e.g. to remove bike brand name). But you're the 'cgiGUY'. What do you think? Real photo? Or CGI?
X_bix.jpg

volt_bike_small.jpg

I for one think comfort and convenience of my passengers in the back is more important than my occasional need to haul large stuff. I will be able to find way around it when I do. The target customer base for the X is actually said to be women more than men. Most of what woman owners care is how easy it is to put kids and friends in the back of car. My reservation is for wife too. If you ask her whether she could fit a 4x8 in the back of the car you would get a "huh?" for answer.
I think your post represents the "Latest" product positioning of X, which I tend to agree. The target market is the soccer mom/dad, people mover more than utility. New utility definition in the works by Tesla.

Last edited:
I have learned nothing, as no information I didn't already know has been presented. Maybe you should be less condescending?

Sorry for being condescending. I'm also sorry that you haven't learned anything new. But please stop and listen.

If I were to create a new poll with the question:
Do you think that TMC forum members understand how to design a proper Poll?
( ) I don't think they understand it at all
( ) I don't think they understand much of it
( ) I think some do and some don't
( ) I think that they all do
( ) Other

That question is biased right from the start and so any results are useless. The first thing they drill into you when designing a poll is to eliminate biases. We're not saying that there is anything wrong with your particular poll. We're saying that all polls are bad in this forum. There are people that have worked, studied, written papers, gotten PhDs in this subject area. There is a reason why these rules and procedures have been developed. It is very hubristic to think that without any training and simply using untrained logic and common sense, that one can understand and assess statistics. Would you tell Elon Musk that the draco engine pressure isn't high enough to achieve the efficiencies required to get a low enough ROI to make weekly flights to space cost-effective? The problem with statistics, is that it seems simple enough to grasp, yet its nuanced enough that few know how to use it properly.

The only issue I can see is where there is a desire for a 1-2 people-passenger Model X with a complete "cargo van" space for hauling "stuff" - dogs, wood, whatever.

I never figured people would be spending over $120,000 on a car to haul wood and other things that would be better suited to a pickup truck. I mean, do people really put stuff like that in such an expensive car?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm willing to lay down money that says Tesla's already working on a second-generation seat that would achieve the goal they showed in that slide 18 months ago, and that it was not due to this thread or the poll. Credible and authoritative (NASales doesn't count!) evidence to the contrary and $100 goes to Autism Speaks or Special Olympics Illinois.

... and everyone who will say the current generation seats are perfectly fine will then want the "next gen" fold-flat seats that they said they didn't want or need. Why should the Model X crowd not get to enjoy the same process as Model S owners? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Then they went to department stores and funiture stores and Home Depot etc and obtained logs of what people bought. Then they experimented and shove all these items into the X testing both configurations and to their surprise, the final non folding design was more efficient.

Yah, sure they did. And Home Depot routinely gives out "logs" of what their customers bought to anyone who asks? Where do people come up with these things...

I never figured people would be spending over $120,000 on a car to haul wood and other things that would be better suited to a pickup truck. I mean, do people really put stuff like that in such an expensive car?

Not sure what the cost has to do with anything, but I didn't buy my Model S to haul wood, but guess what? It does the job just fine. We built a fence around our chicken coop and I lugged the supplies home from lowes with blankets over my folded down back seats. Why buy a pickup truck when the vehicle I have does the job just fine when I need it to?

Not sure what the cost has to do with anything, but I didn't buy my Model S to haul wood, but guess what? It does the job just fine. We built a fence around our chicken coop and I lugged the supplies home from lowes with blankets over my folded down back seats. Why buy a pickup truck when the vehicle I have does the job just fine when I need it to?

I just find it hard to believe that people want to haul things that might damage their expensive cars. For that type of duty, I would think a pickup truck or a 10 year old Suburban would be better suited. Hauling this kind of stuff in a $42,000 Acura MDX is one thing, but it hurts more when you damage your $120,000 car. At least it does to me.

I just find it hard to believe that people want to haul things that might damage their expensive cars. For that type of duty, I would think a pickup truck or a 10 year old Suburban would be better suited.

I guess I can see that, but I'm not one of those folks who gets fussy over things because they cost a certain price. I'll haul stuff in it (taking precautions of course), and my dogs ride in the back as well.

Different strokes.

I guess I can see that, but I'm not one of those folks who gets fussy over things because they cost a certain price. I'll haul stuff in it (taking precautions of course), and my dogs ride in the back as well.

Likewise. I am more interested in getting a Model S-style driving experience to cover the needs the Model S doesn't currently meet. The MX will depreciate anyway, and I'll take good care of it.

But then, I'm also the kind of guy who never gets a case for his phone.

I just find it hard to believe that people want to haul things that might damage their expensive cars. For that type of duty, I would think a pickup truck or a 10 year old Suburban would be better suited. Hauling this kind of stuff in a $42,000 Acura MDX is one thing, but it hurts more when you damage your $120,000 car. At least it does to me.
Speaking as a city dweller, we only have one car and Model X will be it (hopefully sooner, rather than later).

That is true. Just rent a pickup to do the occasional dirty job if you don't have one. Or spend a couple hundred dollars to pay someone to do it. The idea of using a $120K car to do those things does sound a little questionable. The more I think about it the more I feel a comfortable sculptural piece of art seat that can move for easy 3rd row seat access trumps a seat that can fold flat to do jobs that I probabaly would never want to do with the car.

Speaking as a city dweller, we only have one car and Model X will be it (hopefully sooner, rather than later).

It's not like the X will not be able to let you to haul any large stuff. It only loses maybe a foot length-wise, but gains quite much depth-wise, compares to if the 2nd row seat that fold flat. In the rare instance that the extra foot maters, or when even an extra foot is not enough, you can always work around it as I mentioned above. It's not the holy grail like some seem to want to make it to be.

Last edited: