Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a joke, right?

Of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure where you're seeing "dramatic talk of canceling" but even if people cancel because they don't see the car meeting their specific needs don't you think that's their own business and shouldn't deserve political aspersions?

My reference was to people telling other (Sig) reservation holders they should cancel.

Not people making a decision for themselves.

Obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

Do we know if they second row seats can be easily removed if you did need to haul something?

I don't think we know, but I would find that a reasonable compromise.

- - - Updated - - -

No problem with how you want to think. We don't have a homogenious world that everyone thinks the same. I'm just saying how I, as a Tesla customer, need to think to enjoy the product. Anyway I can't imagine that Tesla team would spend so much time and trouble and not just to use the prototype seat if they didn't beleive that it is the best possible design that could please the most people.

There is no room in your world view for the off chance that Tesla might have...

Failed?

Lots of changes since the prototype, but one thing's for sure... those comfortable, adjustable, cooled seats are not removable.

Is it at least sure the second row is cooled?

Direct or indirect? Latter would be preferable.

At least this part would be superior to prototype with reclining back (not just tilting seat), individual headrest movement and folding.

The "best possible to please most people" would have been comfortable seats that fold (as evidenced on the prototype). Now I'm sure there's a REASON we didn't get them. I don't think they just decided they didn't need it, and that what we have seen so far is the "best possible to please most people". It's a compromise IMO, and it may be 100% justified, but it's still a compromise.

The only logical explanation is there is not a possible way to get both on time or ever. Elon has said X is the most difficult car to make right after he said the delay of X was due to the seat not the FWD. Yes nothing in the world is not a compromise but apparently this is the compromise Tesla chose to have. The only question is whether it's a good compromise or not. I would have to think it is the best possible compromise based on the little we already know and my blind trust of Tesla. Elon is not known to avoid challenges.

The only logical explanation is there is not a possible way to get both on time or ever. Elon has said X is the most difficult car to make right after he said the delay of X was due to the seat not the FWD. Yes nothing in the world is not a compromise but apparently this is the compromise Tesla chose to have. The only question is whether it's a good compromise or not. I would have to think it is the best possible compromise based on the little we already know and my blind trust of Tesla. Elon is not known to avoid challenges.

On that, we can 100% agree.

It may not have been a compromise Tesla chose to have. It may also have been a compromise that was basically forced on them by failing to develop the target second row seating in time. There may have been very little choice in the matter, in the end, because further delaying the car was becoming impossible.

I think it is fair to keep this possibility in mind too.

It may not have been a compromise Tesla chose to have. It may also have been a compromise that was basically forced on them by failing to develop the target second row seating in time. There may have been very little choice in the matter, in the end, because further delaying the car was becoming impossible.

I think it is fair to keep this possibility in mind too.

So they saved the design of the second row until the last few months and ran out of time? Maybe Eds was behind this.

So they saved the design of the second row until the last few months and ran out of time? Maybe Eds was behind this.

The theory goes that perhaps Tesla had issues (perhaps related to crash safety) with the folding second row and ran out of time fixing those issues, thus being perhaps forced to launch the car with a more limited seat design.

Where Eds you mention (in jest, I guess) comes into picture is that it was speculated at the time that he/she was affiliated with Tesla's seat contractor and claimed initial Model X would be compromised compared to later versions. The seat story could fit that claim.

It is a theory.

Now, perhaps on September 29th we'll hear a full or a different story?

Well seeing how the center console thing fell apart at the last minute after months of trying, I don't think it's that far fetched.

Tesla has had issues with seats before and there's a rumor they're bringing it in house. Maybe the supplier just completely failed to deliver and tesla had to go forward with what they had until they had time to get the other design into production.

It may not have been a compromise Tesla chose to have. It may also have been a compromise that was basically forced on them by failing to develop the target second row seating in time. There may have been very little choice in the matter, in the end, because further delaying the car was becoming impossible. I think it is fair to keep this possibility in mind too.

You could be right. 29 Sep is end of Q3. It is not a random date. It looks like after multiple delays the board decided to put a deadline which was Q3 of 2015. The Gigafactory will start production next year. Tesla has committed to employment targets with the Nevada government. Then there is also Panasonic and other suppliers within the Gigafactory. They can't delay Model X to next year because sales targets need to be met for everything to work according to plan with the Gigafactory and it would affect Model 3 release negatively. Elon talked about these in Q4 2014 conference call. Listen from 35:13 HERE.

Elon (35:13): Now with respect to Model 3, we definitely don't want the delays that affected the X to affect the Model 3, and we're really, we are being quite contentious about this. I mean there are things that we could do with the Model 3 platform that are really adventurous but would put the schedule at risk. So what we are going to do is we're going to have something that is going to be an amazing car, but it won't be the most adventurous version of the Model 3 to begin with, but we will then have the more sort of different version of the Model 3 on the Model 3 platform following the initial version so that we can stay on track for Model 3.

We got a quite adventurous with the X. We don’t want, ... that would be too risky given the Gigafactory and everything sort of has to happen on time. We’re not going to go super crazy with the design of the initial version of the 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: In the same conference call, Elon says the reason for delays were second row seats and the falcon wing doors.

Elon (45:25) But those were driving schedule, the second row seat and the door.
LINK

One of the people invited to configure asked - a quick Google search didn't find the post and given the size of these threads I'm not going to search for it.
The answer apparently was no.

I asked specifically about the option to remove the 2nd row in lieu of folding it flat. I was told clearly and unambiguously that is not an option (context - Signature Model X - unknown what will come in production) - the 2nd row seats won't be something we take out either.

My own stance right now is that I might see enough to make a configure / buy decision watching a replay of a reveal event, but most likely, we won't configure until we can see a car in person (and fold / move seats around, and otherwise configure the car for our needs, and see if it's all that we want).

I really can't imagine Tesla coming out with a Model X where second row seats are not foldable, ideally creating a flat surface, but at the minimum like what we have in the Model S. One doesn't buy such a car primarily for 3rd row seats (yes it's a practical option for many), one buys it for flexibility in cargo space and to some extent off road capability (or at least easier access to side roads, mountain conditions, etc). I don't know of any manufacturer offering a similar type of vehicle where 2nd row seats don't fold. People mentioned the Audi Qs, Porsche Cayenne, all the Range Rovers, even the new Jag F-Pace...
I know people are speculating on things given the limited details leaking out of Tesla, but given the level of competence they have and the quality/intelligence of the cars released to date, I don't see how they could not deliver Model X without these (damn) second row foldable (retractable or whatever it may be) seats :)

If the seats wont lay flat my wife will not like it. This is her Ford Flex.

IMG_1278.JPG

The theory goes that perhaps Tesla had issues (perhaps related to crash safety) with the folding second row and ran out of time fixing those issues, thus being perhaps forced to launch the car with a more limited seat design.

Where Eds you mention (in jest, I guess) comes into picture is that it was speculated at the time that he/she was affiliated with Tesla's seat contractor and claimed initial Model X would be compromised compared to later versions. The seat story could fit that claim.

It is a theory.

Now, perhaps on September 29th we'll hear a full or a different story?

Since we are all theorizing about why non foldable but 'sculptured art' second row seats: What if it was as simple as EM likes form over function?

I really can't imagine Tesla coming out with a Model X where second row seats are not foldable, ideally creating a flat surface, but at the minimum like what we have in the Model S.

I guess neither could most of us until a couple of short weeks ago when Tesla came out and said Model X launches with a non-folding second row.

Prior to that Tesla's communications and competitor precedent certainly made us all expect a folding second row.