Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster 4.0 Battery developement with Model S cells

Earl

Jan 22, 2014
USA
somewhat centrally located
I don't profess to be the expert on where what matters (I'm only an EE). I'm only paraphrasing those who designed the car and sharing it with this forum.
Remember, however, that the Roadster has a 60:40 weight distribution, not the ~50:50 of the S and subsequent Tesla cars.
Perhaps 200# (~10% of car mass) is insignificant. Maybe not.
They may have been thinking of something closer to 500# reduction (~50% of battery mass, ~20% of vehicle mass).
What do cheap tires have to do with the topic?
Further indication of the sensitivity of the tuning of the Roadster.

. . . all just food for thought and consideration. This may all be irrelevant, however, one should be sure before candidly throwing around how 200# savings might be all good.

ML Auto

Mar 8, 2014
SW Florida
Not so.
The Tesla Roadster was completely redesigned from the Lotus Elise. They just started with the Lotus design but nearly everything was redesigned and retuned, especially, the suspension.
You must not be familiar with the Lotus. Tesla used the complete Lotus suspension. The coilovers were calibrated for the extra weight, reinforcements were welded on the control arms, 5 lug hubs (from the Vauxhall VX220), and a rear sway bar added. Tesla considers the part "redesigned" if they had to add a hole for an attachment bracket or a wire. That is how they claim such a low percentage of Lotus parts in the Roadster. Most of the Lotus parts can be easily modified to Tesla specs. They did "tune" the brakes with bigger rotors, and we all know how terrible the brakes are. 1000 lbs of extra weight on the same tires is just nuts. The car was set up to understeer at the limit, and changing the sticky OEM rear tires to something that wears longer gives you oversteer-abrupt oversteer. The actual weight distribution is 35:65, so its easy for things to go bad real quick.

Take what you have previously heard with a grain of salt. I remember several claims made by Tesla about the Roadster that were stretching the truth or downright lies - 100% carbon fiber body (its at least 60% fiberglass by weight and 80% by volume - not including all the plactic parts), battery cells that could disconnect from each brick if they went bad (nearly impossible). I'm sure what was originally discussed and what actually got produced were very different.

Earl

Jan 22, 2014
USA
I'm sure what was originally discussed and what actually got produced were very different.
Yep. In true Tesla fashion, there were changes made even between units, not just between 1.5 and 2.0 and 3.0 levels. This is especially true when it came to swapping out Carbon Fiber parts with Fiberglass or even injection moulded.

I've observed pretty much everything else you say as well.

Feb 1, 2012
1. Very interessted! either Version
2. I then assume the charging will still remain the same
3. ...or would there be an future option to have an upgraded PEM and charge port...that CCS charging would be possible?

Roadrunner13

Oct 16, 2013
Montreal
"100% carbon fiber body (its at least 60% fiberglass by weight and 80% by volume - not including all the plactic parts)"

Wow...
That's one that I had taken literally for years! :eek:
I guess the bigger body parts are plain fiberglass (side panels, doors) while the smaller ones (hood, top) are CF?

ML Auto

Mar 8, 2014
SW Florida
Wow...
That's one that I had taken literally for years! :eek:
I guess the bigger body parts are plain fiberglass (side panels, doors) while the smaller ones (hood, top) are CF?
All the body panels except the bumpers (plastic) have two thin layers of carbon fiber with a much thicker center of fiberglass, along with an outer fiberglass surfacing veil for a smooth surface to paint. The inner door structure is fiberglass. The mirrors and rear spoiler are plastic. The only parts that are actually carbon fiber are the roll bar hoop cover, and the optional hardtop and carbon spoilers. They painted the hardtops when the carbon fiber didn't look good when bare. Early cars also had a carbon trunk bucket. Even the optional carbon interior parts are just an overlay over the existing plastic. The center console is the only true carbon part on the interior.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC