Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tech and Controls coming soon for S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there will be an update to the S and X. Nobody knows when it will be though.

Not true. A bunch of people know. In fact I'm sure that a bunch of people who read this forum regularly know. Most likely some person who is reading this very post knows what the next version of the S will look like and when it will be available.

But they're not saying. :) Because if they did they would be fired.

Not true. A bunch of people know. In fact I'm sure that a bunch of people who read this forum regularly know. Most likely some person who is reading this very post knows what the next version of the S will look like and when it will be available.

But they're not saying. :) Because if they did they would be fired.
You do have a point. Let me rephrase:
Yes, there will be an update to the S and X. Somebody knows when it will be though.

So far no one has seemed to mention the part of Tesla's earnings call where Elon mentioned that the difference in features will be "more clear in a few weeks" between Model 3 and S and X... new tech coming out end of May early June?

I think that pretty much means they will unveil full details on the Model 3 by then and it will be clear what the differences are in tech and features. I do hope there is a catch up update on the S with the other promises of 8.1 coming through before the release of the 3, but I somehow dont see that happening with the rate at which things are going.

I have no inside info, but if I had to guess,
- AP2 will finally get decent, maybe even better than AP1 around when Model 3 rolls out. This would make Model 3 very compelling.
- Few months later, to further differentiate 3 vs S/X, they will probably introduce something interesting to S. Very tough to say what that may be, but HUD/Tesla glass should be around within the next year.

One feature I wish they'd introduce ~ heated footwells. IMO low hanging fruit and probably would be very well received.

I have no inside info, but if I had to guess,
- AP2 will finally get decent, maybe even better than AP1 around when Model 3 rolls out. This would make Model 3 very compelling.
- Few months later, to further differentiate 3 vs S/X, they will probably introduce something interesting to S. Very tough to say what that may be, but HUD/Tesla glass should be around within the next year.

One feature I wish they'd introduce ~ heated footwells. IMO low hanging fruit and probably would be very well received.
They could also add heated armrests. Having that with heated seats and footwells could make the car just about comfortable without the heat on at all.

So far no one has seemed to mention the part of Tesla's earnings call where Elon mentioned that the difference in features will be "more clear in a few weeks" between Model 3 and S and X... new tech coming out end of May early June?
There is always "new tech" coming. Every year. Sometime during the year. Not necessarily in the next 2 months. But maybe.
I took what he said to simply mean that there will be a July-ish unveiling of the Model 3.
I interpreted Elon's statement the same way: that the Model 3 launch announcement (production start in July) will provide full details for the car, specs, available options, etc., and that at that time it will be clear how the 3 differs from the S/X beyond the little we already know (smaller, single screen, no hatchback, etc.).

Reactions: croman
I agree with @ecarfan -- the differences will become clear because we don't know anything about the 3. Context matters. That's why I hate the news. They do the same thing.

Elon was talking about why people think the 3 is great and why he's been anti-selling it. Because people think the 3 will be a smaller S. It won't be. The screen is just one difference. Once the configurator is up we'll really see was his overall point. In that, it won't have the bells and whistles of an S (on base). I'm sure not all options of the S will even be possible on the 3, especially for the first couple years.

This has nothing to do with the S changing.

The thing is, the "S" has so few options, it's hard to imagine what they'd remove from 3.
Okay they removed one screen, battery, power, range.

But what else could they realistically remove?
- Mirrors on the visor?
- Heated seats?

I bet the 3s wont come with any free supercharging allowance. Non-LED headlights, non-power liftgates, no ambient lighting, lower quality seats/materials, lower quality sound system, possibility of lack of streaming music/internet options. No power seats? (possible) Many things can be done to cheapen the 3 to make the S stand out.

That being said, having driven a 5 series BMW and a 3 Series BMW, i dont see any major differences in the two either.

The thing is, the "S" has so few options, it's hard to imagine what they'd remove from 3.
Okay they removed one screen, battery, power, range.

But what else could they realistically remove?
- Mirrors on the visor?
- Heated seats?

Auto dimming mirrors, self presenting door handles, power seats (maybe driver-only)…. I dunno. Stepping into a Nissan Versa would give a lot of motivation of how the S's interior isn't rock bottom.

Pure speculation, but Model S and Model X will probably get a redesigned dash with the linear front HVAC blower and the floating screen aesthetic that the Model 3 has. Model S will probably get the rear seat design currently in the Model X 5 seater.

Reactions: calisnow