Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like we found our answer regarding Supercharger charge times:
70D owners, what's your supercharging speed (or reliable data from Tesla)?

For me this was the last big unknown, and it looks like the answer is that the 70D charges as fast as the 85D... percentage wise. But not range wise.

Hmm.

Perhaps I feel slightly, every so slightly, slighted. But I'm not thinking about cancelling anything just yet lol (see: previous post with the heart eyes emoticon lol)

And, I suppose we can't blame Tesla marketing much for not wanting to bother with the whole topic at all -- unless, of course, we find out there's been a concerted effort to quash actual data.... heck if I was given a 70D to test drive for a review, I'd most certainly swing by a Supercharger and record all data, but not one mention so far xcept for in the thread above, and so far that's just one T store rep's report...

Looks like we found our answer regarding Supercharger charge times:
70D owners, what's your supercharging speed (or reliable data from Tesla)?

For me this was the last big unknown, and it looks like the answer is that the 70D charges as fast as the 85D... percentage wise. But not range wise.

Hmm.

Perhaps I feel slightly, every so slightly, slighted. But I'm not thinking about cancelling anything just yet lol (see: previous post with the heart eyes emoticon lol)

And, I suppose we can't blame Tesla marketing much for not wanting to bother with the whole topic at all -- unless, of course, we find out there's been a concerted effort to quash actual data.... heck if I was given a 70D to test drive for a review, I'd most certainly swing by a Supercharger and record all data, but not one mention so far xcept for in the thread above, and so far that's just one T store rep's report...

It makes sense really, also have a 70D on order and expected this. That last 10%-20% of the batter takes longer to top off and charge, charging slows down as it nears capacity and 70D is 18% smaller...

I have to disagree with this. AAA was the cheapest that quoted me. I am with them for homeowners as well, so that may be part of the reason. Unfortunately I do not qualify for USAA.

I had them for homeowners as well as earthquake. 30+ years with them with no claims on either house or auto. My quote on an 85K 70D was $3600 per year. Compared to my A5 which I was paying $1400 a year for.

USAA my Tesla is $125 per month.

It makes sense really, also have a 70D on order and expected this. That last 10%-20% of the batter takes longer to top off and charge, charging slows down as it nears capacity and 70D is 18% smaller...

Ya it does seem to make sense, the more I think about it, even though I've been bragging "200 miles in 20 minutes !" If I keep that up I might as well say it has the INSANE button, too lol. Guess I'll be planning for 30-40 min. stops on the existing Supercharger network for some routes.

So if 80 to 90% is slowww hopefully we'll rarely need it... if we BUILD THAT SUPERCHARGER NETWORK !!! They seem to be taking a break in Eastern Canada ... otherwise I'm adopting Bjorn's camper mode for naps.

That supercharging speed thread got me excited to see some real numbers from owners, but sadly no real numbers yet.

I knew going in that one of the compromises with the 70D was going to be miles/min while supercharging. That I'd have to wait around much longer than 30-40 minutes if I needed anything over 192, and that if I got an 85D it would raise that to 216.

That 25 miles might not seem significant, but it just so happens to be that I go from Seattle to Portland at least once a month. So that means charging in Centralia at least up to 216 if not more because it's a little over 180 miles from Centralia to Portland, and back to Centralia.

Aside from that I don't do road trips that much so the 70D was still the right choice even though it wasn't ideal for the one trip I do routinely take. I might have to drive a little slower, charge a little longer, or do destination charging. I did get the Chademo adapter, but sadly most of the Chademo stations in Portland are rated a 2-4 by plugshare users.

The first few months of ownership I'll be spending lot of time experimenting with various options.

That makes sense if you consider that each individual cell charges at the same rate, but the 85D has more cells. So the percentage would be the same, but the rated miles would be greater for each percent of charge. Per-cell charge rate seems to be higher than the 60kwh though. So rather than compare with the 85, compare with the 60.

Ya it does seem to make sense, the more I think about it, even though I've been bragging "200 miles in 20 minutes !" If I keep that up I might as well say it has the INSANE button, too lol. Guess I'll be planning for 30-40 min. stops on the existing Supercharger network for some routes.

So if 80 to 90% is slowww hopefully we'll rarely need it... if we BUILD THAT SUPERCHARGER NETWORK !!! They seem to be taking a break in Eastern Canada ... otherwise I'm adopting Bjorn's camper mode for naps.

I just drove from Washington DC -> Charlotte, NC in a 85 and stopped for 15-20 at 2 Superchargers (skipped one as well). A 70D can totally do this same trip with a negligible difference.

I've got a delivery date of May 28th on a 70D that finished production on the 7th. Kinda sucks that it takes 3 weeks to get to Georgia when it seems like everyone else has one or two week delivery times.

I'm using your status updates to estimate my delivery since we are in the same state :). I got a call yesterday informing me that my car goes into production on or around June 1 and I should expect delivery in the final week of June.

Fingers crossed that I beat the tax credit expiration deadline!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Picked up a few hours ago!