Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is already considered by many Chinese consumers as "a deal of the century," as it is the first direct sales model which bypass the middleman that usually markup import vehicles by up to 200%. Even if the price do go up, it will probably have little or no effect to the increase in demand. And if they really build a factory in China, it will probably become a world wide primary production site with its cheap labor and near non-existent environmental laws. Why do you think Apple can make their products affordable for everyone?

Yes, which is why I expect an overseas manufacturing facility for sure.
However to get to that promised land, you will first have to trudge through the forest of upfront expense and investment.

Also transporting a 1000$ iPhone that weighs < 100 grams vs a 100k car that weighs 3000kgs are different. That is why every car manufacturer manufactures cars in Mexico, not China.

Tesla is is a good fit for China, but there are forces working against tesla in China too. I think eventually tesla will do well in China.

forward looking predictions are excellent if you hit the 30% accuracy mark.
Hmm, I say just stick to binary "will / won't" predictions and I'm betting you can get that up to around 50% :tongue:

Tesla as a company has difficult times ahead,
- Their excellent customer service will falter.
Tesla has adopted a Customer Experience approach and that's a business decision, not something that rises and falls with cash flow (in fact smart organizations have realized that this can be a huge market differentiator as many firms scale-back proper customer service). Unless they change away from that model itself, you can rest assured knowing they will remain customer-focused.

As for the "fanboyism" you're absolutely right, and in the end "it's just a car" to quote Jerry Seinfeld. But what a car it is -- you know it, we know it, heck everybody knows it :love:

Store just told me end of June for my 70D :crying: guess I sat on the fence for a while but maybe they'll add a dozen mad improvements to my later build date haha.

but... I do have to wonder what a month of sleep deprivation will do to me :scared: I usually don't get overly excited but this really is something refreshingly different.

Truth be told, I'm a Tesla fanboy too :). Its a very beautiful car, and 100% electric makes my heart race.
As they say, familiarity breeds contempt, so if you're getting in a position to pounce on a Model S, of course you're (over :) analyzing ... I'm doing the same. Though I don't agree with many of your concerns, it's good to be concerned as the car business is one of if not the toughest business.

Heck I drove by the Lawrence Ave. store here in Toronto on Sunday and didn't see any cars, for a moment I thought they were boarding-up :confused: but in fact they were probably busier than ever with all available cars on test drives.

As for insurance rates, I'm not so sure they'll go up due to repair costs. Every fancy car is expensive to repair. The good news is, most cars don't have an accident. Add the fact that nobody wants to steal the car (or even things in it so far ?? maybe this is like Chris Rock's "hide your money in books, criminals HATE books" rap).

Last edited:
Store just told me end of June for my 70D :crying: guess I sat on the fence for a while but maybe they'll add a dozen mad improvements to my later build date haha.

but... I do have to wonder what a month of sleep deprivation will do to me :scared: I usually don't get overly excited but this really is something refreshingly different.

As they say, familiarity breeds contempt, so if you're getting in a position to pounce on a Model S, of course you're (over :) analyzing ... I'm doing the same. Though I don't agree with many of your concerns, it's good to be concerned as the car business is one of if not the toughest business.

Heck I drove by the Lawrence Ave. store here in Toronto on Sunday and didn't see any cars, for a moment I thought they were boarding-up :confused: but in fact they were probably busier than ever with all available cars on test drives.

As for insurance rates, I'm not so sure they'll go up due to repair costs. Every fancy car is expensive to repair. The good news is, most cars don't have an accident. Add the fact that nobody wants to steal the car (or even things in it so far ?? maybe this is like Chris Rock's "hide your money in books, criminals HATE books" rap).
Nothing really to repair on a Tesla that's not covered by warranty unless you crash it. I'm also in Toronto. Let's exchange contact info!

Check your PMs I sent you my contact info.

I can almost tell you what a month of sleep deprivation can do, I ordered on 4/8 and and taking delivery tomorrow and the last week is the hardest!

Re: Insurance rates - mine didn't go up too badly on a yearly scale, but it's enough to notice. I think insurance companies are on to the whole aluminum panel repair cost thing, though there are more and more body shops adding this capability. I plan to drive super careful and try to avoid any accidents! /fingers crossed

Ordered my CPO P85 exactly one week ago....Have been contacted three times by Tesla and am now in contact with DS in Watertown Ma.. Car will be available for pickup next week!...Electrician is coming on Saturday to install charging circuit...Very smooooooth so far....I have been a fan for years...finally becoming an owner.

Yesterday (13 May), the status of my car changed to "In Production"; I not going to lie, I'm getting pretty excited about it.

My target delivery date is 12 June, but it seems like it's ahead of schedule, it could also just be wishful thinking on my part.

I can almost tell you what a month of sleep deprivation can do, I ordered on 4/8 and and taking delivery tomorrow and the last week is the hardest!

Re: Insurance rates - mine didn't go up too badly on a yearly scale, but it's enough to notice. I think insurance companies are on to the whole aluminum panel repair cost thing, though there are more and more body shops adding this capability. I plan to drive super careful and try to avoid any accidents! /fingers crossed

Oh most definitely. I don't know how I managed to get through this week. Only 7.5 hours to go though!

Yesterday (13 May), the status of my car changed to "In Production"; I not going to lie, I'm getting pretty excited about it.

My target delivery date is 12 June, but it seems like it's ahead of schedule, it could also just be wishful thinking on my part.

When did you get your target delivery date?

My DS just said "mid-June" after my car confirmed, and hasn't really updated me with anything else since.

Nice surprise this am (May 14) as my car moved to "in production". Seems perfect as wife's birthday is on the 14th (different month) but she has a special relationship with the 14th of every month. Delivery date listed as "late May". Looking forward to hearing from the DS to arrange a Delivery Date. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!!!

Nice surprise this am (May 14) as my car moved to "in production". Seems perfect as wife's birthday is on the 14th (different month) but she has a special relationship with the 14th of every month. Delivery date listed as "late May". Looking forward to hearing from the DS to arrange a Delivery Date. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!!!

Same here. Our 70d went into production a couple days ago for a late-may delivery. looking forward to driving it

Great to hear about the 70D "in production" surprises !!! Maybe I'll get one too... or at least learn to take "late June" (which I round to end of June) as a "worst case" now (barring unforeseen circumstances of course).

Ordered my CPO P85 exactly one week ago....Have been contacted three times by Tesla and am now in contact with DS in Watertown Ma.. Car will be available for pickup next week!...Electrician is coming on Saturday to install charging circuit...Very smooooooth so far....I have been a fan for years...finally becoming an owner.
So you were considering the 70D kyalami (clearly, from the thread name alone lol) and pulled the trigger on a sweet CPO eh ?

Gessing it was for:
1. value
2. much shorter wait
3. extra options you wouldn't have ordered
Well, at least those would have been my reasons :biggrin:

Conversely, I suppose my reasons for 70D order are:
1. improvements since 2013 that cannot be retrofitted eg. autodrive
2. the performance profile of the 70D just seemed to hit all the marks for me (including snow, I am sick of getting stuck in a RWD car with snows on)
3. shinier with a nice new colour (blue... and I'm calling it Ocean Blue damnit)

Ok so for me #3 is just really silly I'll admit it lol as I usually buy used by default and have learned to enjoy not caring much for door dings etc. So I guess the core reason I'm sticking with my 70D order is that it just seems ideally packaged, and the financials "work".

Though I would sure love to have a Model S in my hands for this weekend... heck for tonight :love: