Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla APP 4.x. Released for iOS and Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ED9FC7FD-3C7D-4F14-AE23-5BD0046DD8A8.jpeg

I have a new MY and the car is showing up four times in the app. How do I remove it? They are all the same car.

@MorrisonHiker that's different--what you've shown is the time to charge to whatever charge limit you set in the app or car. What was being talked about is if you're using navigation to get somewhere and nav has you stop at a Supercharger to top up--in the car it shows you how long you need to charge before you can get back on the road and make it to your destination, which is typically less time than it would take you to charge to your charge limit.

Think of it like a "soft limit" where it will keep charging anyway (up to the "hard limit" charge limit you define) but beyond that soft limit isn't necessary to make it to your destination.
We're doing a road trip tomorrow that will require multiple Supercharging stops. I'll pay attention to see what's changed from how it worked before. I remember when they added the "Continue your trip" functionality and didn't realize that's what was being discussed.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
supercharge.info can do this, or PlugShare with the proper filters, or ABetterRoutePlanner if you want to do some planning while you're there.

I typically know where I’m going, I just want to see my options in case I’m exceeding or falling short of my expected range. I just use the Tesla map from my browser:

They already have it available online; it would just be nice if I could get it from the app

I discovered this morning that the new app doesn’t work with my VPN (NordVPN). The previous version didn’t have that issue. When I’m traveling, I don’t use WiFi without a VPN.
I've had similar experience with Proton VPN. What I suspect is not that the app does not work with VPN, it does, but it cant negotiate or check login credentials while VPN is active.

For instance, with VPN on, the app wont login - it just times out. Once VPN is off, the Tesla app can login and continues to work even if VPN is turned back on. Once logged in, the Tesla app continues to work for a while with VPN on but after it either gets into deep sleep, or shutdown by phone memory management, and, upon awakening attempts to check login token/credentials, fails if VPN is on - it just shows timeout error without giving an option to re-login. But, once VPN is off, the Tesla app will force you to re-login again.
So, the solution: disable VPN before re/launching the Tesla app, once Tesla app is up, switch back to the VPN app to turn it on, then back to Tesla.

Annoying AF. Previous version always worked just fine with VPN. I'll revert back to v3 as v4 has 0 new functionality if this behavior will not be fixed in the next update

• Helpful
@MorrisonHiker that's different--what you've shown is the time to charge to whatever charge limit you set in the app or car. What was being talked about is if you're using navigation to get somewhere and nav has you stop at a Supercharger to top up--in the car it shows you how long you need to charge before you can get back on the road and make it to your destination, which is typically less time than it would take you to charge to your charge limit.

Think of it like a "soft limit" where it will keep charging anyway (up to the "hard limit" charge limit you define) but beyond that soft limit isn't necessary to make it to your destination.
We tested it today and the car displayed the time to continue the trip. The app showed the same amount of time. Charging the battery more would've taken longer. It's possible they just removed the wording from the app but it still matched what was in the car.

Attachments

• 20210918_113540.jpg
    20210918_113540.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20210918-113529_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-113529_Tesla.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
I got the new app on my iphone a few days ago. Generally it seems fine except for one major problem - Seat heaters. In the old app i could turn these on remotely to warm up seats before getting into a cold car. Now, when i touch the seat icon the seat warming comes on BUT so does the main heater system! Defeating the purpose of seat warmers! If I turn the main heater off, then the warmer gets turned off too. Anyone else notice this? Have a solution?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
why would the new app take that language away? Why??? "continue your trip". it's. just. stupid. again, why????

so the car says it. great. the app does not. total fail.

Do we now just assume that the car is charged enough via the app?

It's really, really, really stupid these improvements do not improve.

No, I am NOT done bitching. not sorry. but app writers should be.

Has anyone been having trouble with the new Tesla IOS app not wanting to refresh to the car. I get the spinning wheel above battery percentage every time I’ve opens the app. Any idea on a fix. See screen below.
View attachment 711045
The app is super laggy for me when I first open it. Sometimes it takes 15+ minutes before it finally connects with the car. This wasn't an issue with the prior app. Anyone else with similar issues? Have you found a solution?

Last edited:
Why does Tesla spend time and resources to change things that didn't need changing?
The new phone app does exactly the same things as before, but I'm a worse way.
Screen is more difficult to see and buttons are smaller. Who is the genius in charge of the phone app UI???
The same genius who has repeatedly redesigned the UI in the car, each time reducing font sizes and making the text grayer and less readable. It's like they are punishing us for wanting to actually use the screen.

The same genius who has repeatedly redesigned the UI in the car, each time reducing font sizes and making the text grayer and less readable. It's like they are punishing us for wanting to actually use the screen.

Because Tesla feels that people still perfectly capable of driving and and passing the DMV vision requirements for an unrestricted driving license should find driving their vehicles difficult. Because it looks cool and stylish.

At some point all these UI engineers will also get age related presbyopia. Good news for them is at that point full self driving will likely just be two weeks away.

iOS version 4.1.0 just popped up in the app store. Finally we'll be able to adjust the charging schedule remotely once the car firmware 2021.36 is released. Release notes:

Adjust Charge Current, Scheduled Departure or Scheduled Charging for your car's current location (*)
Enable Bioweapon Defense Mode on supported cars (*)
Access your car's Owner's Manual and updated video guides under the Service tab
View Solar troubleshooting steps and videos under the Energy Service tab
*Vehicle software version 2021.36+ required.

iOS version 4.1.0 just popped up in the app store. Finally we'll be able to adjust the charging schedule remotely once the car firmware 2021.36 is released. Release notes:

Adjust Charge Current, Scheduled Departure or Scheduled Charging for your car's current location (*)
Enable Bioweapon Defense Mode on supported cars (*)
Access your car's Owner's Manual and updated video guides under the Service tab
View Solar troubleshooting steps and videos under the Energy Service tab
*Vehicle software version 2021.36+ required.
That’s cool. Too bad 2021.36+ is not out yet, though.