Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dealership experiences of course vary region to region. My point was about the personal touch and number of choice that comes with dealerships vs. Tesla's unpersonal system...

With a dealership, having a normal, personal relationship with the sales and service advisors is often possible and something that can be developed long-term.
here on the east coast of the US, over my 45+ years of interactions with above, I have found it preferable to get root canals without benefit of anesthetic, it's that bad here.

tesla is a crap company....feeling pressured into the whole before jan 15th thing because super charging is going away and wont be free anymore bait and switch bs line ....i would never have bought at that time if i know it would come back in the future...its was a ploy to get numbers up at that quarter. I am seeing tesla as a more and more mlame company with their pricing bs and pressure techniques. Fan boi's can hate on me all day..i care less.

tesla is a crap company....feeling pressured into the whole before jan 15th thing because super charging is going away and wont be free anymore bait and switch bs line ....i would never have bought at that time if i know it would come back in the future...its was a ploy to get numbers up at that quarter. I am seeing tesla as a more and more mlame company with their pricing bs and pressure techniques. Fan boi's can hate on me all day..i care less.
Did you do the math at the time to determine you actual expected cost of supercharging had you waited? Are you actually unhappy with your vehicle?

its an ok car...its just a car to me-not a good investment money wise as far as depreciation and all but thats any car really being a poor investment overall.... but an ok car none the less. The company To me is dubious in some ways but gets away with it because its really the only game in the play for a sporty ev with a charging network. All other ev's are dorky at best and ugly at worst. It is what it is. I would have likely bought 2-3 months later if they didnt make me feel like free supercharging was a once in a lifetime deal..lol...salesmen one and all and all salesmen lie.

VIN number please, a simple request (of yours, please)(Tesla vin)

@xspace it is for all future S or X vehicles that I purchase.
Right, and that's what my blurb says as well. I'm in complete disbelief that this won't apply to my future Tesla Semi purchase. When I bought my S, they said I'd have free Supercharging for life. And now, this!

I've taught ethics at the Universities of Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haversbrook, so I know an unethical company when I see one. <head shake>

/s

extra points to anyone who can source the cities in my "teaching career"..

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare
Right, and that's what my blurb says as well. I'm in complete disbelief that this won't apply to my future Tesla Semi purchase. When I bought my S, they said I'd have free Supercharging for life. And now, this!

I've taught ethics at the Universities of Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haversbrook, so I know an unethical company when I see one. <head shake>

/s

extra points to anyone who can source the cities in my "teaching career"..

Monorail, monorailllllll, monorailllllll!

Well done Simpsons reference there, Ohmman.

Reactions: ohmman

This is why I never took your schadenfreude for Q1 FUSC buyers as quite sincere, more like going through the motions. Just letting you know the appearances. Perhaps that is not how you mean it, but this post is again seeming like belittling the experiences of the likes of @alehbaba and others who feel slighted.

• Disagree
Reactions: scaesare
here on the east coast of the US, over my 45+ years of interactions with above, I have found it preferable to get root canals without benefit of anesthetic, it's that bad here.

I think in some countries there are more regulations on the behavior of people in car dealerships so the sales people can't pull some of the BS US car sales people can pull.

Here in the Portland area I think enough people will simply walk out if sales people are too aggressive that they are more laid back than I've seen elsewhere. Last time I shopped for a car in Seattle (in the early 90s) I got a mixed bag of decent people who respected me and jerks. Before I turned to Tesla two years ago I was looking at cars at different dealerships. In some places, I actually got into cars and nobody approached us. Everywhere else the sales people respected that I was just looking and didn't try to pressure me.

At the local Buick dealer they all took interest in my old 1992 Buick and we talked more about how nice my old Buick had been to me than the new cars on the lot.

Back in 1992 one place I went they did the classic thing of leaving me standing around while the sales guy "talked to the manager" and when he came back with "a deal better than I was going to get anywhere else", I told him I'd think about it and left. I already had lower price quotes from two different places for what I wanted. After the way he treated me, I wasn't going to buy from him even if he was cheapest. I had forgotten I had given him my phone number and he did call later. When I told him I had lower offers, he did match the best bid, but I told him I thought his behavior was unethical and I wasn't going to buy from someone who was unethical. He tried to weasel but I was firm.

Back in 1992 one place I went they did the classic thing of leaving me standing around while the sales guy "talked to the manager" and when he came back with "a deal better than I was going to get anywhere else", I told him I'd think about it and left. I already had lower price quotes from two different places for what I wanted. After the way he treated me, I wasn't going to buy from him even if he was cheapest. I had forgotten I had given him my phone number and he did call later. When I told him I had lower offers, he did match the best bid, but I told him I thought his behavior was unethical and I wasn't going to buy from someone who was unethical. He tried to weasel but I was firm.

That leaving to talk to a manager, I guess, is a very American thing. That part - I agree - is just stupid. Good for you to have walked out on that.

With Tesla the problem is increasingly there in person really to talk to, you are just a blip in the computerized system...

The other thing with Tesla are the company-wide sales tactics should as twice-ending free-Supercharging and something that also might be problematic is the way Model 3 is anti-sold - will it really be this bad e.g. range and other feature wise as Tesla is now making it to seem to move Model S in Q2?

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

What the....?
If this is verified, then:
  • All Teslas with 2016 and prior year-plates will have unlimited SpC access
  • Teslas sold prior to mid-January 2017 will have unlimited
  • Teslas sold between mid-Jan and the _____th of May will be limited to 400kWh/yr
  • Teslas sold from the ___th of May and the ___of May will have unlimited
  • (presumably) after that date they once again will be 400kWh-limited
  • until the next change
I don't like this. At all. IF it is verified.

Buying a Tesla has become like booking a cruise. For the same sailing next winter, if you book this month you get a free cabin class upgrade, next month you may get free beverage package, or, if you book two months later, you may get $200 onboard credit or a free internet package as a perk. The price for the same cabin is always different and you never know if the price is going to drop or hike the next day.

That leaving to talk to a manager, I guess, is a very American thing. That part - I agree - is just stupid. Good for you to have walked out on that.

They try to get people worked up they might lose the car because the manager is going to say "no". In reality they are probably back there talking sports or something.

There are a lot of articles out there that Americans are more likely to make impulse purchases than people of most other countries. Maybe it's something about the culture, or something about the types of people who emigrated to another continent, but it is something American. I can't find anything on it right now, but some years ago I read an article that some large percentage of car purchases are impulse buys and car dealers try to spur that on as much as possible.

I've always had very good sales resistance and I can smell a con coming a mile away. I have made the occasional minor impulse buy (getting something that wasn't on the shopping list at the supermarket or something of that scale), but I always think through all major and even medium sized purchases. I probably think too much about some of them.

My SO has an even better BS meter than I do. Con artists loath her because she doesn't try to hide the fact she sees right through their con. It probably put her life at risk with her former brother-in-law who was diagnosed with an Antisocial Personality Disorder. He was violent enough he almost killed his brother on one occasional and kidnapped his nephew on another. He also had such extreme OCD he wouldn't leave San Mateo county in California and she didn't live there so there was no risk of him hunting her down. (For those here who do live in that county he killed himself a few years back, so he's no risk to anyone anymore.)

She also has even better sales resistance than I do. The two of us working together could probably drive the world's best sale person crazy.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I do think Tesla did plan on ending free supercharging. It's just that once they had gone through with it, they realized that many people saw the free supercharging as a reason never to replace their current cars. I don't know if it has a name, but it's almost like Osborning. By making their older cars more attractive than all their current and future cars, in this aspect, demand for their current cars was affected.

The best way to negate this effect was to tie free supercharging to the person, not the cars. It's a more costly way of phasing out free supercharging, but not massively more expensive.

Maybe an easier way to reconcile the re-appearance of FUSC is this: at the end of 2016 Tesla discontinued Free Unlimited Supercharging on car level (attached to the car); on May 19th Tesla introduced a new benefit: Free Unlimited Supercharging on account level (attached to the owner). Both perks have to do with charging our cars, but, technically, they are different.

Additionally, this "new" perk encourages existing owners to upgrade