Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the most efficient charge percentage in terms of resistance at Max Battery Power Temps like 96 or 98% or something, not 100%? Very sure i read about this when it came out...

Elon said 90% had the lowest IR. But that doesn't mean 90% generates the most power. The lowest IR just means there's the least amount of voltage drop, but your non loaded voltage is lower at 90% than at 100% so it's possible and even likely that the extra voltage at 100% overcomes the slightly higher voltage drop due to slightly higher IR.

So... after following this thread for a couple days is the consensus that my lowly 454kW P85DL will not be seeing any 500kW love? Am I waiting for Sorka's weekend run to find out?

No, because Tech_Guy still got 507KW at 92% which is WAY more (68 hp more) than my 456KW at 91% with max battery ready.

1/2 Megawatt will be enough to get a solid 10.9 second run. I have no doubts at all about that.

I'm also willing to bet that MT had an early version of what is now the current higher power P90DL.

If I were a P90DL owner with the older 456KW car, I'd be hoping mad right now. When these newer P90DLs start pulling down solid 10.9s, are you guys with early P90Ds producing 70 hp going to ask Tesla to make it right by upgrading whatever hardware needs to be updated to produce a 10.9 second 1/4 mile?

No drag strip yet... just over 200 miles on it so far :D

It's great that you are willing to test this so early in the car's life!

Going to be very interesting to see if these figures hold up after a few thousand miles. Most of the degradation on lithium-ion occurs during the initial charge cycles. I have been wondering if Motortrend got a brand new battery in their test car. Perhaps a 10.9 is possible on the first charge but after a couple of charges you start to see declining figures.

No drag strip yet... just over 200 miles on it so far :D Ill have to look into one thats closest to a charger!!
Auto Club Dragway in Fontana is 5 miles from the Rancho Cucamango Supercharger but they have a limited schedule for street drags. The next one is July 24th. Irwindale has 1/8 mile drags every Thursday between 5 and 8 and the cost is only $20 to drag and $10 to watch. I will be there June 20th. There is an Edison free charge point 4 miles from the tract but that takes a long time to charge so I charge first in Burbank to 100%.

Can you find a drag strip that just has a public charger near it? It doesn't have to be a supercharger. How about a strip that has a 30 or 40 amp RV hookup? Or a dragstrip next to an RV park?

You could also haul one of these along:

Amazon.com: DuroMax XP10000EH, 8000 Running Watts/10000 Starting Watts, Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Continous output of 8KW, but the 30 amp 240 volt plug should get you 7.2 KW which should be good for about 15 MPH. You could stay 100% charged for all passes you run. Killer on the battery life especially baking it at Max Battery temperature, but you'd probably get multiple solid 10.9 / 122 MPH slips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyw2100
Humm. 457KW does not seem WAY more than 456KW

By the way, I just did a run with my non-refreshed P90D without Max Batt Pwr and got 459KW at 90%. With Max Batt Pwr I'm now getting 467KW at 97%. This is with battery #1063792-00-A and software 2.20.30. Before this revision I never achieved anything above 453KW with or without Max Batt Pwr. There is little doubt that Tesla has made the Max Batt Pwr more effective. It appears to be much more effective for the new refreshed Model S.

I think you're just seeing statistical error. A couple kW is nothing. The sample rate of powertools sucks. I was already up above 460 at 100% & max battery, 470 has been recorded. This is not what we are talking about. The 2016 P90D appears to have significantly more power even without getting to 100%.

14 KW is more than a couple and certainly not a statistical error. I'm a data nut and have collected dozens of runs during the last 6 months. 453 KW has always been the max and that was achieved with and without Max Batt Pwr. I've also kept track of posts in the TMC of max power recorded and never saw anyone post above 456. Sorry that I missed yours, especially the 470. What software version were you running?

Anyway, I feel that there has been improvement in my car's performance associated with the Max Batt Pwr mode after the recent software upgrade even though it is much smaller than the refreshed P90Ds. I'm still interested in seeing the KW for 90% from a refreshed P90D with Max Bat Pwr OFF. So far, the only post close to that is Tech_Guy's refreshed 457KW at 89% for Max Bat Pwr OFF.

It's great that you are willing to test this so early in the car's life!

Going to be very interesting to see if these figures hold up after a few thousand miles. Most of the degradation on lithium-ion occurs during the initial charge cycles. I have been wondering if Motortrend got a brand new battery in their test car. Perhaps a 10.9 is possible on the first charge but after a couple of charges you start to see declining figures.

More like Motortrend got the pre-production 2016 pack.

He did it just like I'm going to this weekend where I do what I've never done before and will never do again because I don't want to kill my battery.

While you charge, enable max battery an hour or so before you hit 100%. It will use about 3KW so if you're charging at 40 amps * 240v volts at home, then account for that.

You could wait until you hit 100% but then you have to bake the battery for 45 minutes at 100% which is way worse than if you can have it reach temp just as it's hitting 100%. I'll probably only do it to 98%.

The most I've ever done was 90% with max battery ready. I never tried more because even at 95% without max battery before the L upgrade, I never got more than 415KW so it didn't seem above 90% made a difference.

I just tried this method and got 452KW at a 95% SOC.

With about 1.5 hrs left to 100%, I turned max battery on and in about 20mins it was ready.

I charged to 96%, had some difficulty connecting, and then at 95% still with Max Batt ready, got the 452KW.

I might try a higher SOC, but I don't know how much if any improvement would be forthcoming.

I'm running 2.20.30 and my car is a P85D with Ludicrous.

Last edited:
If I were a P90DL owner with the older 456KW car, I'd be hoping mad right now. When these newer P90DLs start pulling down solid 10.9s, are you guys with early P90Ds producing 70 hp going to ask Tesla to make it right by upgrading whatever hardware needs to be updated to produce a 10.9 second 1/4 mile?

I would not be happy right now if I owned a P90D which was putting down the same power as a P85D right now.

I'd want some answers.

From the looks of it, Max Battery seems to be offering significant benefit over the mid 450KW range for late model P90Ds with Ludicrous. A 10%-12% increase.

But at this point seems to offer less of a benefit for some of the older P90D Ludicrous cars as the one gentleman only saw an improvement of 14KW at 97% SOC over his prior bests.

It will be interesting to find out why.

Also, I'm going to do another log at 100% and Max Batt and see what it shows, but there has probably not been much if any improvement in the retrofitted P85Ds.

Last edited:
Anyway, I feel that there has been improvement in my car's performance associated with the Max Batt Pwr mode after the recent software upgrade even though it is much smaller than the refreshed P90Ds. I'm still interested in seeing the KW for 90% from a refreshed P90D with Max Bat Pwr OFF. So far, the only post close to that is Tech_Guy's refreshed 457KW at 89% for Max Bat Pwr OFF.

I charge to 90 nightly, ill take a reading tomorrow for you at 90% on Ludicrous without Max Battery Power.

Reactions: Old Man Mike
So... after following this thread for a couple days is the consensus that my lowly 454kW P85DL will not be seeing any 500kW love? Am I waiting for Sorka's weekend run to find out?

I know you're kidding when you say "lowly 454kW P85DL"

But consider;

fiksgts has run 11.2 at that power level

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

And one other P85DL has run 11.2 as well.

And of the other recorded 11.2s, and at least one of the 11.1s, it's unknown to this point whether they were making any more power than your 454kW. :cool:

If I don't see 500KW, then I'm satisfied with that kind of performance capability.

But who knows? For a long time Max Battery really didn't do much. Perhaps now it will actually do more than what it did previously for all cars with the option to select it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.