Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DanKeen, are you charging to 100% on occasion? I've heard the "rated miles" calculation isn't very reliable. My display is set to percentage rather than rated miles and I check the "projected miles" when I care about my range. Sorry about getting OT. I didn't want to discourage anyone with the numbers I posted. I'm sure mine won't stay there long doing Ludicrous launches and keeping a 90% charge.
Yes, I occasionally have need to charge to 100% to keep a good margin when I'm bouncing around on the weekends. I haven't done a 120V charge to 100% in a long time though which some folks think rebalances the pack. This is only slightly off topic from the original post, though - it's probably related (increased range and increased wattage from higher pack capacity).

Hmm. My Sept 2015 build is already down to 228 at 90% :( I messaged Tesla about this last week and they said it was within fleet norms. It started at 240 if I recall correctly. Its now lower with 13k miles than my wife's 85 with 28k miles.

Really? My very early (late 2014, 25,000 miles ) P85D is still at 224 miles - 90%. And I'd be hard pressed to say that it dropped at all in the last 15,000 miles. I wonder if the silicon graphite batteries have been a little less durable than the prior ones.

I wonder if the whole P100D happened and Tesla just doesn't want to say it.

It makes you wonder.

It makes you wonder.

For sure. Spitballing reasons all based on this assumption, but obviously stupid random uninformed guesses:
1) Battery pack was ready earlier than refresh and they were running out of components for the old pack and so they threw them in
2) Sales are already brisk enough for Ludicrous. Name change from Insane to Ludicrous meant "let's do another name change" and there's no good name change and Ludicrous is already well known (and much more unique than "Insane")
3) Don't want to keep the upgrade train going for fear of the Osborne effect
4) Uh… retaliation for wk057 leaking the P100D image
5) Make those of us who bought earlier P90D's go crazy wondering what the difference is and laugh at us like rats in a cage

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
Difference between Rated and Ideal range maybe?

I don't think so. Ideal would be much higher. Currently ideal is 310, while rated is 248.

Images in order: Ideal, Rated, Percent

ideal_range.jpg rated_range.jpg percent_charge.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the extra 70 hp was an a mistake and it was supposed to stay at 456KW. Maybe this is a P100DL that they'll offer to software upgrade to Plaid Speed. They'll soon realize the bug given the attention it's gotten over the last few days and download new software to detune the March+ cars back down to mid 450s ;)

Yeah agree. I think the 282 is a little out of whack too. A brand new non "P" 90D delivered last summer and fall @100% was 283-285. 90% was 256-257 Rated Range.

The 282@100% is from memory, because I only range charged once. However, I consistently got between 252 and 254@90%. The math for 282 does work out though. 90% of 270 is 243, what I should be getting with a 90% charge, while it was reporting 254.

254 / 243 * 270 = 282.2 - Anything wrong with the math there? Let me emphasize, though. After the latest software update from a few days back, my 90% dropped to 248.

updated to 2.24.30, 100% SOC and Max battery ready, 11/15 built P90DL with 1063792 pack, no increase in power, max of 452 KW

now we have a problem.... Tesla under delivered on early cars, no 10.9 capability and later P90DL (v2) cars are all good with 80 HP more... easy 10's, most likey 10.8x....

Even my P85DL has hit 456KW at 91% max battery ready. So I guess that means for sure this is hardware related.

We need more samples so we can figure out when this change came along. Are you going to ask Tesla make it right?

My P85DL also just charged to 224 at 90% two days ago. It had been 223 but then I charged to 100% before going on a trip and it's charged to 224 the last two 90% charges. It's 3 rated miles down from what it was new. 22K miles.

Sorka, we're car twins. I'm at about 22k miles and am also hitting about 224 on a 90% charge. I've been really impressed at the (minimal) battery degradation over this time. I purchased mine in March 2015 for a time reference.

updated to 2.24.30, 100% SOC and Max battery ready, 11/15 built P90DL with 1063792 pack, no increase in power, max of 452 KW

now we have a problem.... Tesla under delivered on early cars, no 10.9 capability and later P90DL (v2) cars are all good with 80 HP more... easy 10's, most likey 10.8x....

Wow. Just wow.

I recall you mentioning 451KW back a few days ago.

With 452KW today that's basically the same. So no gain.

There is still another possibility.

There could be a bug in the Powertools app itself and the numbers in that 500KW range are inaccurate.

We still have not actually seen what one of these cars reading 510KW actually does in the quarter by Vbox or drag strip.

That would help verify if the Powertools numbers were really right.

I doubt it, the cars making more power are faster, higher traps, I would race a later production P90D L to demonstrate this, anyone in south florida with one?

Wow. Just wow.

I recall you mentioning 451KW back a few days ago.

With 452KW today that's basically the same. So no gain.

There is still another possibility.

There could be a bug in the Powertools app itself and the numbers in that 500KW range are inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.