Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my speculation - this is a software-only change. It is not triggered by a particular firmware or hardware build, but by a feature flag - Tesla is A/B testing with customers in the field and gathering data.

To clarify my earlier comments - At 90% battery, I've tested both with Max battery ready and Max battery turned off. In both cases I have not logged higher than 454kW.

If that truly is the case, then why did the internal Tesla documentation say to only use the model X battery in the S if the production date was on or after April 11th?

I have a lowly P85DL and I have no complaints! I've taken it to the drag strip and it performed quite well against the competition. I actually get a little tire slip so having more power may not do me much good in most situations.

Maybe one day I can upgrade to the 100 battery!
Can you be more specific? What were your times and did you post them in DragTimes.

I called the sales manager at Tesla regarding the status of my question if Motor Trend would call a 10.999 a 10.9 and how where they able to get 10.9 (secret). His friend at Motor Trend did not reply to his inquiry. Then he suggested my chrome stock 19" wheels may be my problem as he had read that chrome wheels can add 100 to 150 pounds for a set of 4. I said that is ridiculous and I checked with my chrome shop and sure enough 4 chrome wheels might add a 1/4 pound. I also added that I don't expect 10.9 in my P85DL but P90DLs should per the order page.

I think Tesla is controlling this on their end. Same firmware version but x% of the fleet gets "special sauce", measure impact to repairs, battery health, degradation.

I think there's a bunch of Tesla engineers sitting in a room reading this forum saying "ok, who's car should we turn on next?" and then waiting to see how long we notice ;)

There is something that can be toggled on. This makes the 10.9 capabilitiy statement true from the outset, and offers at least some measure of avoiding an outright false advertising issue.

Yes, it was capable of 10.9. But with an OTA update that we didn't release right away. But we weren't lying about the car being able to do 10.9.

I think what you're saying may, theoretically, be true, but if it is, it's still pretty lousy behavior by Tesla.

The P90DL was announced what--just under a year ago, now? So the first deliveries probably took place nine or ten months ago, give or take? That is an awfully long time for cars not to be meeting their specifications.

Edit: And let me add, that this sort of thing was, in my opinion, just like the 691HP issue, completely unnecessary. Assuming the P90DL can now do a 10.9 quarter mile, how many sales do you think would have been lost if Tesla had never published the spec that way eleven months ago, but instead had published it as the then-reachable 11.1 or 11.2? I doubt they would have lost very many sales at all, and they then could have looked like heroes now when they announce to all the people who bought the 11.2 second P90DLs that we have just made your cars faster.

I don't see how the super-smart people running Tesla don't realize how much better the high road is.

Reactions: jkk_, msnow and GSP
First deliveries were end of August, iirc. Mine was beginning of September and about two weeks after delivery started. So yeah, it's been about nine months that they haven't been meeting the quarter mile time. Which is getting to be par for the course for Tesla.

I think what you're saying may, theoretically, be true, but if it is, it's still pretty lousy behavior by Tesla.

The P90DL was announced what--just under a year ago, now? So the first deliveries probably took place nine or ten months ago, give or take? That is an awfully long time for cars not to be meeting their specifications.

Edit: And let me add, that this sort of thing was, in my opinion, just like the 691HP issue, completely unnecessary. Assuming the P90DL can now do a 10.9 quarter mile, how many sales do you think would have been lost if Tesla had never published the spec that way eleven months ago, but instead had published it as the then-reachable 11.1 or 11.2? I doubt they would have lost very many sales at all, and they then could have looked like heroes now when they announce to all the people who bought the 11.2 second P90DLs that we have just made your cars faster.

I don't see how the super-smart people running Tesla don't realize how much better the high road is.

True.

But what if it puts down a few 10.8s and a smattering of 10.7s and with the power increase being claimed here, that's not out of the question.

Tesla would still come out smelling like a rose.

Just as the horsepower firestorm stopped when Ludicrous was made available, so will this settle down if/when consistent 10.9s and the occasional 10.8,10.7 starts to show up.

This too shall pass.

Last edited:
Just as the horsepower firestorm stopped when Ludicrous was made available, so will this settle down if/when consistent 10.9s and the occasional 10.8,10.7 starts to show up.

The horsepower firestorm stopped because many of us became tired of posting our feelings about it and arguing about it. But the damage done with respect to how many of us feel about Tesla has not passed. A great number of people went from being all-out Tesla supporters, willing to tell anyone and everyone how wonderful Tesla and their cars were to feeling just luke-warm (or worse) about Tesla. That's not something easy to assign a cost to, but there is certainly some cost associated with that.

Last edited:
The horsepower firestorm stopped because many of us became tired of posting our feelings about it and arguing about it. But the damage done with respect to how many of feel about Tesla has not passed. A great number of people went from being all-out Tesla supporters, willing to tell anyone and everyone how wonderful Tesla and their cars were to feeling just luke-warm (or worse) about Tesla. That's not something easy to assign a cost to, but there is certainly some cost associated with that.

Not to continue beating a horse, but I do think this is different. The horsepower debate was open to interpretation, the same way am ICE drivetrain is. Should you state power numbers at the crank or at the wheels?
Stated performance is less open to interpretation. A 10.9 car should be able to do 10.9. There's really no room for debate there.

Not to continue beating a horse, but I do think this is different. The horsepower debate was open to interpretation, the same way am ICE drivetrain is. Should you state power numbers at the crank or at the wheels?
Stated performance is less open to interpretation. A 10.9 car should be able to do 10.9. There's really no room for debate there.

There is.

Does 10.9 in the quarter mile mean exactly 10.9000 on the nose?

Or can it mean 10.9xxx where x is any number between 0-9?

But the P85D never made anywhere near close to 691 hp by any standard. The motors were capable of handling 691 hp if they had a power source that could deliver 515KW which the P85D didn't. The debate was not whether or not the P85D actually made the power but whether Tesla was correct in advertising 691 hp when they meant motor capability rather than hp actually produced by the machine sold.

Advertised 1/4 mile times can almost never be achieved by non professional drivers. And since a few P90DLs have hit 11.2, it's not out of the realm of possibility to think that with a professional driver, you could hit 10.9. However, this thinking which normally applies to ICE cars where you need high skills and training in how to launch just right, doesn't apply to the "even grandma can get 2.9 second 0-60 times" Tesla.

So the short of it is, it's just the opposite. Horsepower is horsepower and Ford and Mazda have been sued in class actions for making as little as 10 hp less than claimed, but no manufacturer has ever been sued for not being able to meet performance specs.

Can you be more specific? What were your times and did you post them in DragTimes.

I believe my best 1/4 was 11.57 but my SOC was less than ideal. I ran 5 passes but some had passengers. I did not post to DragTimes. If interested I have all 5 passes and slips in a YT video - link in sig.

This weekend I plan to charge to 100% with Max Battery and record data with PowerTools. The most power I've recorded so far was 435 at around 84% and Max Battery. I'm guessing I might max at 450 or so. We'll see.

I created a Google Form to collect data....
Good Idea, but you should include a field for "actual 1/4 mile ET per time slip". After all, achieving a 10.9 ET is the specific Tesla-promised spec that is the underling theme of this tsunami thread. It's been theorized that cars with bigger Power Tools numbers and/or newer batteries and/or secret feature flags being set should be able to run 10.9, but nobody has yet achieved better than an 11.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: benjiejr
Good Idea, but you should include a field for "actual 1/4 mile ET per time slip". After all, achieving a 10.9 ET is the specific Tesla-promised spec that is the subject of this tsunami thread. It's been theorized that cars with bigger Power Tools numbers and/or newer batteries and/or secret feature flags being set should be able to run 10.9, but nobody has yet achieved better than an 11.1.

Field added. Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.