Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bummer! looking forward to the results on Friday, get there first thing so you have the best track prep....

It's especially unfortunate as Mason Dixon prepped up to the 1/8th mile for essentially a Jr Dragster event. I was the only street car there aside from a bunch of pintsize go-karts with lawnmower engines. Those little things just don't do anything to the track and I would have essentially had the prep to myself.

Elon's Tweet made it into the mainstream press as well as various forums so for enthusiasts it was widely known but you're right about the 122 MPH in the Tweet but 122.7 MPH 10.9 was in the linked MT article.
I think the tweet and links are less relevant than the 10.9 quote.

Motortrend and car/driver mph is substantially higher than any s pre recent power hike has acheived. There is no real doubt they had preview hardware / software that (with tweets, quotes, links etc) was effectively being promoted as current and practically (even a 1 in 50 passes) acheivable for anyone buying then but wasnt ...

it is irrelevant how motortrend tested. Before endorsing it, Tesla should have been sure it is relevant. Otherwise, if someone here claims a 9 ... should that immediately be posted up as gospel for new customers?

People dont go to the track and think if i was to account for (quite irrelevant to s) temperatures, barometric pressures and altitudes, this may have been a 10.

As per motortrend ice models, they would like to be able to travel to a low altitude track and run that 10 ... but they cant cos it wont matter much ... probably run slower.

Ultimately though, a 10.9 (with or without 122 quote or motortrend endorsement) needs around 122mph and 500kw to get the job done ...

Alex

I think the tweet and links are less relevant than the 10.9 quote.

Motortrend and car/driver mph is substantially higher than any s pre recent power hike has acheived. There is no real doubt they had preview hardware / software that (with tweets, quotes, links etc) was effectively being promoted as current and practically (even a 1 in 50 passes) acheivable for anyone buying then but wasnt ...

Car and Driver's MPH was 121 mph. And that wasn't a trap speed.

Recently an owner of a P85D posted a trap speed of 119.64 mph.

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

That's just 1.36 mph slower than the speed that Car and Driver reported, and theirs is no doubt a Vmax at the end of 1320 ft, and the 119.64 is a speed over the last 66ft of a drag strip, which would be lower than Car and Driver's speed at 1320 ft.

Also someone has matched the Car and Driver 11.1 and in a car which may have been heavier than theirs.

So I don't know that it's possible to absolutely conclude that they had "preview hardware/software" in light of the above.

it is irrelevant how motortrend tested. Before endorsing it, Tesla should have been sure it is relevant. Otherwise, if someone here claims a 9 ... should that immediately be posted up as gospel for new customers?

Not sure I follow you. Before Tesla endorsed what??

People dont go to the track and think if i was to account for (quite irrelevant to s) temperatures, barometric pressures and altitudes, this may have been a 10.

As per motortrend ice models, they would like to be able to travel to a low altitude track and run that 10 ... but they cant cos it wont matter much ... probably run slower.

Ultimately though, a 10.9 (with or without 122 quote or motortrend endorsement) needs around 122mph and 500kw to get the job done ...

I follow your point, but I don't think anyone in here expected to see 11.1 at 116mph. After seeing that, I'm not entirely sure that this car can't break 11 seconds at less than 122 mph

Last edited:
Here is no mention of 122mph, but link to review Elon Musk on Twitter

The MT article was widely known by enthusiasts anyways, so Elon tweeting it doesn't really change that. I think the original point is there is no evidence Tesla had ever quoted trap times on their website.
Elon 10.9.PNG

I took delivery of a brand new P90DL 2 weeks ago and have about 1200 miles on it thus far. One thing that has shocked me and my "guests" has been not how quick it gets to 60MPH (boring) but how fast it hits 100 or 120 the handful of times each I've done it. I don't have any hardware to gauge it, but it hits those numbers definitely faster than I imagined. It definitely overshadowed the 0-60 experience for me. I'm on first day of vacay today, but next week I will buy whatever hardware you people recommend and start testing when I get back next week.
Pretty sure there is no hardware involved. Just an app called Powertool with iphone.

Car and Driver's MPH was 121 mph. And that wasn't a trap speed.

Recently an owner of a P85D posted a trap speed of 119.64 mph.

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

That's just 1.36 mph slower than the speed that Car and Driver reported, and theirs is no doubt a Vmax at the end of 1320 ft, and the 119.64 is a speed over the last 66ft of a drag strip, which would be lower than Car and Driver's speed at 1320 ft.

Also someone has matched the Car and Driver 11.1 and in a car which may have been heavier than theirs.

So I don't know that it's possible to absolutely conclude that they had "preview hardware/software" in light of the above.

Not sure I follow you. Before Tesla endorsed what??

I follow your point, but I don't think anyone in here expected to see 11.1 at 116mph. After seeing that, I'm not entirely sure that this car can't break 11 seconds at less than 122 mph
Car and driver didnt run the 10 even at - 121mph.

By tweeting an outcome (and indeed having a correlating 10.9 on the web) you are endorsing that outcome as credible and representative of your expectations while at the same time knowing you also gave them updated software ( and possibly hardware to do it ) ... this does mislead customers ...

The 120+ passes all look to be "new battery" related.

A 116mph or even 117mph 10 is like a shutdown of power before the line. Unlikely to acheive a reliable 10@117 without some kind of power /let off.

All in all ... just look forward to the (required) software update to deliver on the commitment. ... tesla would not let us great supporters and those responsible for model 3 success and beyond down.

I hit 458 KW @ 91% tonight on my P85DL after supercharging. Previous best was 456KW @91% I got shortly after getting the L upgrade 7K miles ago.

While supercharging, I turned on max battery at 80% just long enough to see the ETA until ready. It said 5 minutes so I turned it back off. At 85% I turned it back on again and it said "Ready!" without any time. I turned it back off. At 92%, I turned it back on and it again said "Ready!". The 458 was recorded at 91%.

So it appears I don't have any increased IR at all in the last 7K miles. I'm still charging at 224 rates miles at 90% which is 1 mile less than when it was new. The batteries seem to hold up really well. 22.5K miles.

I'm too chicken to try it at 100% but I guess it's possible that if 458 is hit at 91% that more is possible at 100%.

Just to add to the record, I hit 453 kW at 91% SOC with max battery on and ready (power tools measured). First launch since my L upgrade was completed Thursday. Battery: 1074980-00-E. ODO: 16.7K, rated range: 224@90%

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and bhzmark
Car and driver didnt run the 10 even at - 121mph.

By tweeting an outcome (and indeed having a correlating 10.9 on the web) you are endorsing that outcome as credible and representative of your expectations while at the same time knowing you also gave them updated software ( and possibly hardware to do it ) ... this does mislead customers ...

The 120+ passes all look to be "new battery" related.

A 116mph or even 117mph 10 is like a shutdown of power before the line. Unlikely to acheive a reliable 10@117 without some kind of power /let off.

All in all ... just look forward to the (required) software update to deliver on the commitment. ... tesla would not let us great supporters and those responsible for model 3 success and beyond down.

Interesting.

It is relevant and it does matter. How a drag strip measures speed and how MotorTrend does it are in fact very different. MotorTrend uses either a radar gun or GPS (Source: Testing, Testing - The Motor Trend Way - Motor Trend). Now, compare that to how a drag strip measures speed which is based on the time it takes to cover the last 320ft of track. Because of this, MotorTrend will almost always show a higher speed than what is on a time slip. My main point is that if you measure something with different methods, you get different results.

uhh...Yeah, they do. All the time. Racers need to know this information in order to be competitive and posers use it as an excuse for why they suck at the track. There are several websites that even help calculate these corrections(Let me google that for you). I'm not sure you are aware of just how impactful heat, humidity and air pressure affect the performance of an ICE.

Alex

I agree here. The car falls on it's face after the launch. I would guess an honest trap speed of 120+ OR a 60' in the 1.4x range would be needed. I really don't see how this car could launch any harder.

Reactions: bhzmark
There is no real doubt they had preview hardware / software that (with tweets, quotes, links etc) was effectively being promoted as current and practically (even a 1 in 50 passes) acheivable for anyone buying then but wasnt ...

I think there is doubt. When people here (whom have dayjobs that probably don't involve doing instrumented testing of cars) are getting 11.1s with pano roofs and general hobbyist effort, the 10.9 from MT is easily explained by a combination of:
1) no pano and other lightweight car
2) experienced driver who probably fiddled with launch techniques etc.
3) perfect track prep without greasy noisy hot rods dripping oil and water on the track
4) ICE correction overly correcting for EVs

With those factors undeniably at play, I see no reason to add the bad faith and dishonest providing of a ringer.

And especially re factor #4 since Car and Driver tested a very similar at the same time and came up with an uncorrected 11.1.

Lol, I'm not gonna sit here and waste yours and my time trying to explain every single time I saw someone get disappointed in their performance at a drag strip. Suffice to say, it happens all the time. That is why I said "in my personal experience" because it was exactly that, My personal experience. If you don't want to accept that I'm not going to make you.

I knew this would rustle some jimmies. Honestly, to meet the published times in the real world you would need perfect track conditions and a density altitude of 0ft. I have personally only observed these conditions 2 or 3 times in my life. And only because I went out of my way and spent a lot of money at track rentals.

Now, I'm going to spout off my personal opinion again so CAUTION:
If you buy a car based on a performance claim from the manufacturer, you're gonna have a bad time. I submit the previous 24 pages as evidence.

Right, so you have no examples. I don't care about anecdotal experiences of single owners being disappointed, I mean where the whole FLEET of cars can't meet the specs.

Given that some of these newer P90DLs are charging to higher rated range than earlier P90DLs I'm starting to wonder if these are also the same ones showing the 511KW? If so, then I'd have weigh my previous guesses more towards these really being P100Ds with 95 kWh packs.

Given that some of these newer P90DLs are charging to higher rated range than earlier P90DLs I'm starting to wonder if these are also the same ones showing the 511KW? If so, then I'd have weigh my previous guesses more towards these really being P100Ds with 95 kWh packs.
It seems almost certain that they have more capacity from the reported rated miles, unless between new aero and new base wheels they were able to meet that improvement. Using the old consumption it comes out to almost exactly 90kWh usable.

If an owner of the new pack could please report what the Rated consumption is, that would be very helpful. The most straightforward way to do this is until the dashed line and the solid line in energy analyzer are exactly overlapped, report the Wh/mi there.

I've been saying all last week that these new 90 kW batteries have more capacity just based on what users are reporting in the various "What's your 90%" threads. I don't know if that proves they're 95 or 100 kW packs, improved BMS, or newer battery chemistry but, to me, if someone actually starts showing better times at the track it would make sense that it's due to hardware changes rather than software.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I've been saying all last week that these new 90 kW batteries have more capacity just based on what users are reporting in the various "What's your 90%" threads. I don't know if that proves they're 95 or 100 kW packs, improved BMS, or newer battery chemistry but, to me, if someone actually starts showing better times at the track it would make sense that it's due to hardware changes rather than software.

To further muddy the waters, remember that the 90D is now rate 6 more miles with the refresh than the old style; 294, up from 288. One could argue that it could still support both theories on increase battery capacity as well as reduced consumption.

Right, so you have no examples. I don't care about anecdotal experiences of single owners being disappointed, I mean where the whole FLEET of cars can't meet the specs.

Right. That's what I said /s. But let's not drop into internet rage arguments. It seems you are upset about this and I'm really not interested in and emotional discussion here. I'f you would like civilized discourse we can continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.