Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nonsense... :cool:

I fail to see how anyone is being wronged here or how this reflects in any way on Tesla’s customer service and support.

Tesla, like any other dealer or private party is under no obligation (neither legally nor morally) to re-sell a car they’ve purchased with same features as the car had when they took ownership. They could upgrade or downgrade the car as they see fit as long as they are making no misrepresentations to potential buyers. If they buy a car in fair condition but just so happens to have a brand new set of wheels on it they may choose to swap those wheels with another car that’s in pretty good condition but the wheels have a lot of curb rash. Would you criticize Tesla for downgrading car A? Or upgrading car B? Similarly, q if autopilot 1 had become a maintenance nightmare, Tesla may decide it would be more profitable sell a slightly cheaper non-AP car than to have to cover the impending warranty issues likely to arise from the legacy AP system, would you criticize them for advertising and selling a the AP capable car as a non-AP car? That’s their prerogative.

Tesla determined years ago that prepayment for unlimited supercharging wasn’t economically viable (perhaps they knew all along) for new cars. It’s no surprise that they came to the same conclusion on used cars (which likely has an even lower upcharge). Shutting it off on cars they own is completely within their purview. As long as Tesla isn’t shutting off free supercharging on 3rd party sales they are doing nothing wrong.

More nonsense... :cool:

Agreed. OP doesn’t seem to want to discuss their opinion though, just firing off nonsensical post reactions.

I find it increasingly difficult to defend Tesla's policy changes that contradict their original written guarantees.

I just purchased my 2015 Model S P85D through a 3rd party dealer. The car finally linked to my account yesterday (7/23/19) and instead of the expected free unlimited supercharging - I got 400KW free a year. I have a feeling they screw over the new owner when they link it to their new account.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sherlo
Nonsense... :cool:

More nonsense... :cool:

I find it increasingly difficult to defend Tesla's policy changes that contradict their original written guarantees.

You’re not making any valid points. Calling something “nonsense” without justification is just.....nonsense.

Present a coherent argument as to why Tesla (or any entity) is bound to sell something they own exactly as they purchased it.

And to head off a potential red herring, I’m in total agreement that Tesla shouldn’t be applying this policy to used cars they don’t own (which reports in this thread suggest they are doing). I’m referring specifically to the cars they’re selling, which is all the policy in OP seems to cover as written.

How long did it end up taking to transfer the car? I bought mine early July, but didn't recieve the title from the dealer until last week and sent them an email with the required info saturday and haven't heard back from them...
It took 10-11 days from when I purchased the car. I purchased the car from a used car dealer that specializes on Tesla vehicles - so they processed all the paperwork on my behalf. The Salesperson I dealt with said it normally takes a week. After about 9 days I followed up with him and it showed up 2 days later.

You’re not making any valid points. Calling something “nonsense” without justification is just.....nonsense.

Present a coherent argument as to why Tesla (or any entity) is bound to sell something they own exactly as they purchased it.

And to head off a potential red herring, I’m in total agreement that Tesla shouldn’t be applying this policy to used cars they don’t own (which reports in this thread suggest they are doing). I’m referring specifically to the cars they’re selling, which is all the policy in OP seems to cover as written.

You did not read my entire reply... :cool:

Reactions: outdoors
Free supercharging is part of the car on older vehicles. Removing it is theft of part of the car, no different than a thief removing the wheels and taking them. This is the reason they had to change the wording to a first owner agreement.

Just because theft is easy doesn't make it legal.

If they remove free supercharging from your car that was supposed to transfer to the next owner in a PRIVATE SALE, then I agree with you. That isn’t right.

If Tesla removes it from their own used car inventory while it’s under their ownership, that is fine and it makes sense to do so. Nothing wrong with that tactic.

If they remove free supercharging from your car that was supposed to transfer to the next owner in a PRIVATE SALE, then I agree with you. That isn’t right.

If Tesla removes it from their own used car inventory while it’s under their ownership, that is fine and it makes sense to do so. Nothing wrong with that tactic.
I believe that sums it up nicely. I’m sure Tesla has one or two lawyers on retainer well versed in contract law /s/ Any way it makes sense to free up space at superchargers and also saves them millions as others have pointed out

Reactions: SO16
I fail to see how anyone is being wronged here or how this reflects in any way on Tesla’s customer service and support.

Tesla, like any other dealer or private party is under no obligation (neither legally nor morally) to re-sell a car they’ve purchased with same features as the car had when they took ownership. They could upgrade or downgrade the car as they see fit as long as they are making no misrepresentations to potential buyers. If they buy a car in fair condition but just so happens to have a brand new set of wheels on it they may choose to swap those wheels with another car that’s in pretty good condition but the wheels have a lot of curb rash. Would you criticize Tesla for downgrading car A? Or upgrading car B? Similarly if autopilot 1 had become a maintenance nightmare, Tesla may decide it would be more profitable sell a slightly cheaper non-AP car than to have to cover the impending warranty issues likely to arise from the legacy AP system, would you criticize them for advertising and selling a the AP capable car as a non-AP car? That’s their prerogative.

Tesla determined years ago that prepayment for unlimited supercharging wasn’t economically viable (perhaps they knew all along) for new cars. It’s no surprise that they came to the same conclusion on used cars (which likely has an even lower upcharge). Shutting it off on cars they own is completely within their purview. As long as Tesla isn’t shutting off free supercharging on 3rd party sales they are doing nothing wrong.

Very eloquently stated and I agree completely. Tesla can do whatever they want with vehicles they own. I'd only have an issue if they attempt to take away the free unlimited superharging from cars that currently have unlimited supercharging but are being sold privately or through a used car dealership (since that would devalue vehicles that Tesla doesn't own).

In my opinion, this move is good for current Tesla owners since it could reduce congestion at superchargers and increase the value of used cars that still have the unlimited supercharging feature. I suppose that it could result in reduced trade-in values at Tesla should you decide to upgrade; however, no one is forced to trade their car in and can choose to sell their car privately instead (in which case the unlimited supercharging would transfer with the vehicle).

I just chatted with Tesla and it went something like this:
Me: I purchased car and it should have free supercharging
Tesla: Policy change as of 7/19 - free supercharging cannot be transferred any more - your car was added on 7/22 so it is after policy change
me: but I purchased the car a week prior to the policy change....
Tesla: I see - we will add free supercharging back to your account then - give us a week and it will show on your account

That is very compressed dialog of the conversation - but I think anyone who purchases a car after 7/19 will have a hard time getting the free supercharging. I think I got lucky in the timing since I can prove everything was submitted prior to the policy change and the delay was on Tesla's side. The actual quote from customer rep at Tesla was: "Okay so looking into this we made a change on 07/19/2019 that vehicles purchased from a 3rd party will no longer keep the life time supercharging."

This is quite alarming. Tesla can do whatever they want with vehicles that they own but they can't remove unlimited supercharging from vehicles that they don't own (since it would devalue those vehicles). If this is what they're doing then I'd expect legal challenges. Until a car with unlimited supercharging is owned by Tesla, it should retain it's unlimited supercharging (regardless of whether it's being sold privately or through a used-car dealership).

And this is the problem with offering free supercharging now. Back when superchargers were only in remote areas in between cities, “to enable long distance travel”, use by locals wasn’t an issue.
To by completely honest, one of the main reasons I finally pulled the trigger on a tesla was the simple fact that supercharges were installed on my running loop. I can drive my model s to the supercharger (early morning around 6am) run my 3.5mile loop and get some miles all at the same time. $0 gas $0 electric bill (for the most part).

Reactions: 3mp_kwh and TK16688
To by completely honest, one of the main reasons I finally pulled the trigger on a tesla was the simple fact that supercharges were installed on my running loop. I can drive my model s to the supercharger (early morning around 6am) run my 3.5mile loop and get some miles all at the same time. $0 gas $0 electric bill (for the most part).

Too many of these use cases and the system just doesn't work. It was originally designed as @TexasEV put. To enable cross country or intra state travel without range anxiety. Oh boy does it now. Early pioneers in cross country EV travel didn't do it in wagons, but it was pushing the limits of EV's. Superchargers were an oasis. The marketing behind it continued too long being free. It was sold as a feature for everyday use. When volume came along the design of free no longer works. If they can keep demand charges at bay and use battery and solar it might help.

I just can't figure out the use case for free supercharging if I have it at home. Time on the road sitting at a supercharger doing business. Yes. 10 min from home for 40 min not so much. I do feel for those that don't have an alternative, and applaud them for the move to electric. It is hard.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Too many of these use cases and the system just doesn't work. It was originally designed as @TexasEV put. To enable cross country or intra state travel without range anxiety. Oh boy does it now. Early pioneers in cross country EV travel didn't do it in wagons, but it was pushing the limits of EV's. Superchargers were an oasis. The marketing behind it continued too long being free. It was sold as a feature for everyday use. When volume came along the design of free no longer works. If they can keep demand charges at bay and use battery and solar it might help.

I just can't figure out the use case for free supercharging if I have it at home. Time on the road sitting at a supercharger doing business. Yes. 10 min from home for 40 min not so much. I do feel for those that don't have an alternative, and applaud them for the move to electric. It is hard.

These superchargers that I use are not anywhere close to (convenient) for interstate travel. Honestly, I have no idea why they put them in. They are at a high class shopping center. I do not stand idle in my car while it charges. I charge it while i have a need to be there or running, work emails, etc... My time is worth more than sitting around for 50 minutes while my car charges.

These superchargers that I use are not anywhere close to (convenient) for interstate travel. Honestly, I have no idea why they put them in. They are at a high class shopping center. I do not stand idle in my car while it charges. I charge it while i have a need to be there or running, work emails, etc... My time is worth more than sitting around for 50 minutes while my car charges.

If you felt I was slighting you. Not my intention. Your use is yours. Sold to you on the car. However if ten of your neighbors love the same jog, and all say wow it is free. Well I think you get my point. Just understand that I have walked out to a never thought I would see a single car at a supercharger, and then walked out 8 minutes later to see 9 cars next to me.

If you felt I was slighting you. Not my intention. Your use is yours. Sold to you on the car. However if ten of your neighbors love the same jog, and all say wow it is free. Well I think you get my point. Just understand that I have walked out to a never thought I would see a single car at a supercharger, and then walked out 8 minutes later to see 9 cars next to me.
No that was not my interpretation of your comment. Just felt the need to explain better since I know this is not the superchargers intended use. It just fits my lifestyle at the moment.

An alternative is that Tesla could start to offer free supercharging for life on all new vehicles, but only allow 100kwh for free within a 100km/60mi radius of any supercharger used for the following 7 days (or something to that effect). This would allow people to travel cross country for free (a nice perk to advertise that Tesla could affordably build into the vehicle purchase price) while limiting local charging use (like taxis).

An alternative is that Tesla could start to offer free supercharging for life on all new vehicles, but only allow 100kwh for free within a 100km/60mi radius of any supercharger used for the following 7 days (or something to that effect). This would allow people to travel cross country for free (a nice perk to advertise that Tesla could affordably build into the vehicle purchase price) while limiting local charging use (like taxis).
Some people, like myself, purchased their Tesla with the expectation of charging (unlimited for free) at a nearby supercharger. While it’s not a huge expense to charge at my house, it was part of the math for my affordability factoring. Without it, and only charging at my house, I probably would not have made the purchase. So there would be a loss of sales.

I just remembered when I picked up my 3 and drove it back through Quartzite AZ in Jan 2018. One other Tesla leaving and a homeless man back in the bushes. Now I hear about lines there all the time. Something proactive needed to be done. Not sure this solves it, but a start.

@VifferFun. I could see that being some type of retro-fit to free supercharging using geofencing to drive new sales. Never want to see a sale go away, but I hate hearing about lines at SC's even though I have never waited in one.:confused: Almost in Montreal last weekend.