Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not for apartment dwellers.

Apartment dwellers exclusively using the SuperCharger network are no problem for me. Where it becomes a problem is that there should be some kind of charge for daily (regular) users. Tesla should have had some kind of set up in the beginning qualifying FUSC as travel usage and not "free fuel for your daily use".

Reactions: Pinot.Noir
Certain Model S and X vehicles ordered before November 2, 2018 receive 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits annually. Standard Supercharger fees apply after credits are used.

That statement is missing so much prior history and makes it look like the only thing before November 2nd was the annual allowance, no mention at all of the free unlimited that existed at earlier dates....

Reactions: neroden
Using the wayback machine, it looks like the support / Supercharging page changed sometime in the spring of 2017 from:

Below are additional program details which apply to Model S and X ordered after January 15, 2017.

• 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.
  • For usage above the complimentary annual credits provided, a small fee applies.
To:

Below are additional program details which apply to Model S and X under the Supercharger program.

• 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.
  • For usage above the complimentary annual credits provided, a small fee applies.

In addition, the FAQ removed this question about free supercharging.

I thought Supercharging was free. Why do I have to pay now?
If your Tesla was ordered by January 15, 2017, it comes with free Supercharger access for the life of the car. You will not pay for Supercharger use but idle fees may be assessed if your vehicle remains connected to a Supercharger after the charge session is complete.

Not sure what this means in regards to the more recent actions by Tesla in regards to lifetime free supercharging, but it does seem that they are removing a benefit that previously existed.

Hoping it turns out to be a mistake but free supercharging disappeared from my 2014 MS P85 on July 19th. Car purchased 3rd party about 3 months ago. Had free supercharging on the account after ownership transfer. Today I noticed the screen was displaying a cost while supercharging so I checked my account and sure enough no longer shows free supercharging and my 400kwh allowance was used up during a couple recent trips. As folks have noted the terms were very clear for vehicles sold prior to 2017 and I'm only 2nd owner so hopefully they do the right thing and put it back.

It's been a week for me since they agreed to add it back on - however I still show only having 400KWh. I'll reach back out to Tesla tomorrow if it hasn't changed by then.

How did you convince them to add it back on? I just talked to support via phone and they were not helpful at all, could only confirm that the account shows currently as a standard paid plan. Agent suggested based on what he heard from others in the office that it doesn't transfer to new owner, had no awareness of the terms stating otherwise. Said my only option was to send an email and ask that the transfer of ownership team address it.

Tesla is definitely messing something up in your case. Here's a screenshot that my neighbour took of his 2015 P85DL that makes it pretty clear that the free unlimited supercharging will remain with the car once the ownership of the car is transferred to me in a few weeks. If the free unlimited supercharging doesn't transfer to me then I'll fight them until they make the correction.
Something that caught my eye in the phrasing: "... to the next owner." Compare with "... to all subsequent owners." This seems to imply that the moment your neighbor sells it (to you or anyone else) it loses that transferability -- i.e. the car is immediately less valuable. FYI.

If you don't expect or want that to be the case, you might want to start discussions / negotiations with Tesla to get an in writing affirmative statement on the subject before the sale to you.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Something that caught my eye in the phrasing: "... to the next owner." Compare with "... to all subsequent owners." This seems to imply that the moment your neighbor sells it (to you or anyone else) it loses that transferability -- i.e. the car is immediately less valuable. FYI.

If you don't expect or want that to be the case, you might want to start discussions / negotiations with Tesla to get an in writing affirmative statement on the subject before the sale to you.

They could certainly use that argument but in my case I was only the 2nd owner and it was removed 2 months after ownership was transferred. I can't verify for certain now that it no longer shows on my account but I'm pretty certain it originally still had the wording "to the next owner" displayed on my account after the transfer.

Reactions: FlatSix911

It could be a way Tesla is opening the door to a future policy change. One more owner and then phase it out. It’s probably not the case, but I suppose it’s a possibility.

It says transfers to the next owner, not all owners ad infinitum, as it was pointed out to me in another thread. So it's possible that if you bought your FUSC car from a dealer, they would count as the 'next owner' and you get nothing.

I’m still expecting any impact on private sales to be a mistake.

Tesla can do as they wish with regard to cars they own, but they can’t change the ability to transfer unlimited supercharging on a car in private hands without causing a loss of value.

Even if they tried to change the words to mean next owner only they have still diminished the value of the car.

So I am still expecting the few reports of private sales being effected to be fixed.

I’m still expecting any impact on private sales to be a mistake.

Tesla can do as they wish with regard to cars they own, but they can’t change the ability to transfer unlimited supercharging on a car in private hands without causing a loss of value.

Even if they tried to change the words to mean next owner only they have still diminished the value of the car.

So I am still expecting the few reports of private sales being effected to be fixed.

I think (and hope) so too.

But based on the statement in my account, Tesla doesn’t state the “UNLIMITED” will transfer. So that means they possibly are legally able to just provide a 400kW cap per year.

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. ”

I think (and hope) so too.

But based on the statement in my account, Tesla doesn’t state the “UNLIMITED” will transfer.
So that means they possibly are legally able to just provide a 400kW cap per year.

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla.
If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner.

Wow, that is a really slimy interpretation... free supercharging is now defined as 400kW per year :cool: