TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No need for tire rotations with dual motor?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by wjhepworth, Jul 25, 2017.

1. wjhepworth

wjhepworth Member

So, during my last annual checkup the service guy advised me that Tesla engineering feels that the dual motor Tesla MS & MX don't need to get a tire rotation... at all. Anybody believe this? I am continuing to do so for now every 10,000 just to be on safe side. My last set lasted 48,000 and I probably could have gotten 5,000 more.

So their theory is that the dual motor Tesla automatically prevents uneven stress and wear on each wheel. I want to believe but.. seriously? Anybody try to not rotate tires in a D model?

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

You still need to rotate as rear camber is far more negative than front camber.

3. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

I had my S 75D serviced 2-3 weeks ago, I didn't ask them to rotate the tires, but they did it anyway.
    According to their report, the tread depth on all 4 was identical (Inner/Center & Outer), so I guess it wouldn't really have mattered either way.

4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Exactly my experience. 20,000 miles at time of annual service, and they rotated even though all tread depths were reported as identical.

I thought it was odd that they did both rotation and alignment when the wear was even. I guess they felt they needed to do a little to justify the charge.

5. realvvk

realvvk Member

Wow, 48k miles! I have almost 12k miles on my MS and starting to think about new tires. There seems to be no way I am getting more than 20k out of my OEM tires, GY Touring. Maybe with no rain or snow it would be OK but any rain and I start to oversteer in corners. My car is dual motor.

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Tire wear between left and right is still likely to be un-even as well.

7. kort677

kort677 Active Member

19 or 21" tires? the 21's don't seem to last well

8. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

My 19" Michelin tires only last 12000 miles. You need to rotate the tires for the warranty.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I got ~25k miles out of my OE set of 19" Goodyears and were only rotated once. They were perfectly even all the way across on all four corners.

10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Nope.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You do not need to rotate tires "for the warranty" as far as I know. Source?

Only 12,000 miles? I got 40K out of my first set of Michelin Primacy and now have 22K on my second set and they have some tread life left. NOTE: I do not have a Dual Motor car.

12. realvvk

realvvk Member

I have 19" GY Touring. They do seem to be wearing very evenly.

13. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

2015 S85D, 27K on tires without rotating. At 25k checkup tires are all showing the same tread depth. I expect they will last at least 40k miles.

14. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Is that only for air suspension?

15. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I have a 70D, no air, 19" tires. I rotated them once, because I just felt like I had to.

Throughout their 42k miles (so far), the tire wear has been VERY even (i.e. all 4 tires, inner/middle/outer were always either the same or within 1/32s).

Right now, they're all (all 12 locations) between 4-32 and 3/32.

During the first part of their life, we did a lot of long distance road trips, so the tires seemed like they were going to last forever. The last 20k have been mostly city driving, so then the tires seemed like they were going to wear out prematurely. But overall, I'm happy with their tread life. Getting the exact same Michelin tires.

16. kort677

kort677 Active Member

that's usually in cars with 21" wheels

• Informative x 1
  17. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

S85D built April 2015, SAS, base 19" wheels with Michelin Primacies, 35K miles, tires never rotated. As of the last time I checked (a month or so ago?) inner/center/outer measurements on all four tires were all either 5/32" or 6/32".

Bruce.

18. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Not sure what I'm doing correctly, but to see comments about folks having to replace a set of tires with under 20K miles on them..:eek:

19. sorka

sorka Active Member

Nope, but air raising air suspension increases negative camber more. At the lowest setting, both air and springs are around -1.3 to -1.5.

Front camber is usually half of that.

• Informative x 1
  20. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

18K miles on my 90D OEM tires. Mostly evenly worn even though I drive it pretty hard. Going to replace the tires around 20K miles. No rotation yet. The front is ever slightly more worn than the rear probably due to regen and corning.