Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nomad wireless charger, new or old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I just got this notice ... I wonder if V2 needs both USB ports plugged in like V1 apparently does....

Thanks for your patience while we get this update out to everyone.

When we first introduced the Wireless Charger, our testing at the time indicated that the charger could be used with only one of the two power cables plugged into the front console. After feedback from our early users and further testing, we learned that the Wireless Charger needs both cables to be plugged into both front console USB ports in order to turn itself on. One of the power cables could then be unplugged to free up a USB port for a Dashcam/audio flash drive or charging cable, but this sequence was clearly not a convenient or long term solution.

During our most recent tests, we were able to successfully use USB splitters in one or both front console USB ports to solve this issue with no adverse affects on the power output from the wireless charging pad. By using a USB splitter in one of the front console USB ports, one of the Wireless Charger's power cables can be plugged directly into the car and the other can be plugged into the splitter (plugged into the car's second USB port), leaving an open port in the USB splitter for a flash drive or charging cable. The Wireless Charger's power on sequence works flawlessly while its power cables are plugged into either the front console or a USB splitter. The Wireless Charger works while plugged into two USB splitters, but does not work when both power cables are plugged into a single USB splitter.

If you have any interest in using the Dashcam feature made available in V9, an audio flash drive for music, or a charging cable for a passenger that doesn't have a wireless charging enabled device, buying a USB splitter is the best solution that we've found by far. As a bonus, the Wireless Charger's cables are extended when using two USB splitters, allowing for easier access to the cubby and USB ports in the front console.

We recommend using the Onvian USB Splitter Cable from Amazon.

We don't have enough third-party USB splitters to send out to every one of our customers who ordered a Wireless Charger shipping in the next batch (there's over 2,000!), but we'd hate to leave you empty-handed. Keep an eye on your mailboxes...​

Cancelled my nomad order. Unacceptable for them to not have the battery in v2 but still charge the same price. The usb spitter can be had from amazon for $5-6. Instead I ordered the $50 look alike for only $50. Taking a chance but more of a principal issue than a money issue.

Reactions: McFlurri
When did it switch over to the non-battery version? I ordered Sept 30.
I don't know - I saw a comment about it a week ago and cancelled Monday morning. I ordered (and received) the Skyline adapter for cables to allow for use with cases. This will do for a month or so but I'll probably end up with a wireless charger next year. Oddly, I didn't mind paying a fairly high price for the adapter but the Nomad really bugged me!

I just received this response from NOMAD:
“All order placed between October 9th to today for Gen2 are scheduled to ship November 30th.” Not thrilled at all. (Grant it my Scorche magnetic Qi wireless charger costed $60, so is it reasonable to charge double since the NOMAD can charge two phones?) I may just cancel my order. Any recommendations?

Interesting. I just got this notice ... I wonder if V2 needs both USB ports plugged in like V1 apparently does....

Thanks for your patience while we get this update out to everyone.

When we first introduced the Wireless Charger, our testing at the time indicated that the charger could be used with only one of the two power cables plugged into the front console. After feedback from our early users and further testing, we learned that the Wireless Charger needs both cables to be plugged into both front console USB ports in order to turn itself on. One of the power cables could then be unplugged to free up a USB port for a Dashcam/audio flash drive or charging cable, but this sequence was clearly not a convenient or long term solution.

During our most recent tests, we were able to successfully use USB splitters in one or both front console USB ports to solve this issue with no adverse affects on the power output from the wireless charging pad. By using a USB splitter in one of the front console USB ports, one of the Wireless Charger's power cables can be plugged directly into the car and the other can be plugged into the splitter (plugged into the car's second USB port), leaving an open port in the USB splitter for a flash drive or charging cable. The Wireless Charger's power on sequence works flawlessly while its power cables are plugged into either the front console or a USB splitter. The Wireless Charger works while plugged into two USB splitters, but does not work when both power cables are plugged into a single USB splitter.

If you have any interest in using the Dashcam feature made available in V9, an audio flash drive for music, or a charging cable for a passenger that doesn't have a wireless charging enabled device, buying a USB splitter is the best solution that we've found by far. As a bonus, the Wireless Charger's cables are extended when using two USB splitters, allowing for easier access to the cubby and USB ports in the front console.

We recommend using the Onvian USB Splitter Cable from Amazon.

We don't have enough third-party USB splitters to send out to every one of our customers who ordered a Wireless Charger shipping in the next batch (there's over 2,000!), but we'd hate to leave you empty-handed. Keep an eye on your mailboxes...​

I got this same email last week, too.

I've had mine on order for a while, but never got an email on being able to choose V1 or V2.

I did, however, get the one about the USB ports and the splitter they tested and used. They also said, 'We don't have enough third-party USB splitters to send out to every one of our customers who ordered a Wireless Charger shipping in the next batch (there's over 2,000!), but we'd hate to leave you empty-handed. Keep an eye on your mailboxes..."

Well, we're waiting!

I ordered a Nomad in September and I got the car last weekend. I just sent Nomad and email asking to cancel my order. Now that I have the car, I realize that this thing just isn't worth $130 to me. I don't find it that inconvenient to charge my phone with the included connection and my wife has a case that doesn't work with wireless charging. So I would only be using one of the two charging areas most of the time anyway.

I've had mine on order for a while, but never got an email on being able to choose V1 or V2.

I did, however, get the one about the USB ports and the splitter they tested and used. They also said, 'We don't have enough third-party USB splitters to send out to every one of our customers who ordered a Wireless Charger shipping in the next batch (there's over 2,000!), but we'd hate to leave you empty-handed. Keep an eye on your mailboxes..."

Well, we're waiting!

I have not received any communication from Nomad other than marketing emails and the original order confirmation on 10/16.

I ordered on 10/11 and I didn't get any emails about V1/V2. If I don't get one with a battery (V1), and they won't accept my returns in a timely manner, I'm going to file a chargeback with my CC for selling me a product that's different from what I ordered.

I just received this response from NOMAD:
“All order placed between October 9th to today for Gen2 are scheduled to ship November 30th.” Not thrilled at all. (Grant it my Scorche magnetic Qi wireless charger costed $60, so is it reasonable to charge double since the NOMAD can charge two phones?) I may just cancel my order. Any recommendations?
Just cancelled my order. Seems like they are only shipping Gen2 from here on out.