Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla / non-EVgo station with built in Tesla CCS adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RTPEV

Mar 21, 2016
Durham, NC
Here's a fun one! This EVCS station was just added to the AFDC database today and it's an interesting one:

Looks like one of the stations has a built-in Tesla CCS adapter, somewhat akin to the EVgo sites that support Tesla (via the CHAdeMO adapter), but in this case it looks like the CCS adapter is permanently affixed to the CCS connector. Unfortunately this is only a 50kW station, so not Supercharger speeds, but very interesting nonetheless. It's the first one I've seen with a built-in CCS adapter.

(Images courtesy of Plugshare user)

930629.jpg

930630.jpg

Interesting, I didn’t see a way to filter (at least easily) for this type of connection. EVgo allows you to filter for their CHAdeMO + Tesla connectors which use the CHAdeMO adapter. I have supercharger gaps on some of my regular routes in the Midwest so I’m particularly interested in alternatives. EV traveling, even within the supercharger network, still isn’t to the point where you can hop in the car and drive without thinking about it.

I don't believe anyone but EVCS and EVgo is offering it. Just filter by network. When I filter by Supercharging in Plugshare it includes EVgo stations and this EVCS station. I have to filter by network to see where I can just pull up and plug in which these stations can't do with a Tesla.

Yeah, the Midwest still seems to have issues with EVs, can't tell you the number of times I have had pickups pull in front of me and Coal Roll me or I find them parked across a bunch of Supercharger stalls on a Friday night. Gotta own the Libs even if it causes the end of civilization, perhaps that's the goal.

Interesting, I didn’t see a way to filter (at least easily) for this type of connection. EVgo allows you to filter for their CHAdeMO + Tesla connectors which use the CHAdeMO adapter. I have supercharger gaps on some of my regular routes in the Midwest so I’m particularly interested in alternatives. EV traveling, even within the supercharger network, still isn’t to the point where you can hop in the car and drive without thinking about it.
You can't filter on the EVCS website but you can on PlugShare by selecting which plug and which network(s) to show. Here is EVCS CCS vs Tesla:
1658377577669.png
1658377614980.png

So far only 1 station. Most, if not all, of the EVC stations are 1 CCS and 1 Chademo plug per charger and many of the ones in more remote areas are only 1 charger per station so they likely wouldn't put a permanent adapter on the one and only CCS plug. With this station having 4 plugs, someone involved with the installation may have purchased a SK adapter to add as a test market to see if they should install more Tesla adapters on more stations where it is feasible.

Reactions: 21EV
Seems like EV101 should be you can't buy electric until you can differentiate the two, but I made the mistake at least a year into having mine.
Another reason why EV ownership is more complicated, at least until things become widespread! I like the comparison of kW (or demand) as a speedometer, meaning how fast you are going or how much power you require at a given point in time. Then kWh (or energy) is the odometer, so how far you’ve traveled or how much energy you’ve consumed over time.

I think people would have an easier time remembering (or understanding?) that power and energy are different things if everybody used J (or MJ) for energy instead of kWh. At least then people that don't know the difference between energy and power wouldn't assume they're interchangeable and the 'h' is optional. And less prone to typos if you do the difference. Alas, it'll never happen.

I don’t think permanently connecting the Tesla CCS1 adapter is a good idea, especially since not all Tesla’s can use it (at this time). I do see the words 2020 and newer only but there’s that fall into that year range but don’t support the use of that adapter due to missing parts.

Seeing how it is 50kW max charging speed, the CHAdeMO adapter method that EVGo uses would be be a better choice.

You mean kW? Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

I think people would have an easier time remembering (or understanding?) that power and energy are different things if everybody used J (or MJ) for energy instead of kWh. At least then people that don't know the difference between energy and power wouldn't assume they're interchangeable and the 'h' is optional. And less prone to typos if you do the difference. Alas, it'll never happen.

Eh kWh is just kWh/h. A charging rate of 50 kW means the charging output is 50 kWh per hour. It’s like saying doing 65 miles in a 70 instead of doing 65 miles per hour. Not a big deal.

Eh kWh is just kWh/h. A charging rate of 50 kW means the charging output is 50 kWh per hour.
Yes. h divided by h cancels out.
It’s like saying doing 65 miles in a 70 instead of doing 65 miles per hour. Not a big deal.
Lets say you were talking to a supposed "car expert" and when you asked questions, you got answers like these.

How fast did you go?
10 miles

How far did you go?
10 miles per hour

And, every time you asked them, they answered like that. What would you think about their level of car knowledge?

Since you're new here, about this total cluster$%#$% by someone who didn't know the difference. Back then, it was rumored the Model 3 would have an <60 kWh pack size, which DOES NOT mean that charging rate also must be below 60 kW. And, in places where Tesla didn't/couldn't bill by kWh, they were billing by time but at different prices depending on the charging rate.

Here's another person (nerys) who is seriously confused:
See how it can be impossible to discuss this subject if someone doesn't know the difference and proper unit usage?

Last edited:
Reactions: israndy
I don’t think permanently connecting the Tesla CCS1 adapter is a good idea, especially since not all Tesla’s can use it (at this time). I do see the words 2020 and newer only but there’s that fall into that year range but don’t support the use of that adapter due to missing parts.

Seeing how it is 50kW max charging speed, the CHAdeMO adapter method that EVGo uses would be be a better choice.
I think the unit shown is probably setup to charge with Chademo protocol and therefor most can use this just like a Chademo adapter. Must be a reason they installed it on a 50kw unit. Then again the 2020 and newer does seem to imply you need to have CCS enabled.

I think the unit shown is probably setup to charge with Chademo protocol and therefor most can use this just like a Chademo adapter. Must be a reason they installed it on a 50kw unit. Then again the 2020 and newer does seem to imply you need to have CCS enabled.
I think it's pretty clear that they bolted on the adapter to the CCS connector of the charging station. The only reason it's 50kW is that the chargers at that site are all 50kW. All the units on the site have one CCS and one CHAdeMO connector, but on the one in question they dedicated the CCS side to Tesla. If they had intended to use the CHAdeMO protocol (for some reason), they would have connected a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter to the CHAdeMO side.