Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not the UK Supercharger Site News thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are a little optimistic there.

If we are talking input power from the mains, V2 are max 160kVA per cabinet -> 80kVA per stall. V3, in the absence of batteries, are max 350kVA per cabinet -> 87.5kVA per stall.
Those numbers (for both V2 and V3) will be a bit lower in places where Tesla don't have a dedicated transformer so the voltage is lower.
The numbers per stall will be a bit higher where there's an odd number of stalls on the site (ie. a cabinet has less than the max number of stalls attached); however, there's probably so few of those in the UK that it doesn't move the average very much.

So without the full dataset you pulled your numbers from, I'm going to guess at about 85kVA per stall across the UK = 51MVA. Actual output to the cars a bit over 90% of that (V2 are about 90% efficient at full load; V3 probably better but I don't have any numbers). So about 50MW total across UK superchargers.

The only batteries I know of are the ones at South Mimms - but those are linked to V2 cabinets and so don't affect the output. Has anyone seen any sign of batteries at V3 sites yet?

Agreed about the optimism, but that why I said theoretical because of the V2 sharing. Just using at as an indication of the headline power per bay and number of bays.

Just been in to the Crawley (/Gatwick?) Supercharger site. For the entire visit (~40 mins), I was the only one using the SuperChargers. But that might be partly due to the site not being on the SatNav yet,

I arrived with ~40% SoC, and set it to charge to 90%; admittedly without a pre-warmed battery (due not being on the nav system), the most I got was 47kW which surprised me. (Model 3LR)
I was there this morning too, did you mention it to them? theyre not numbered so, From left (1) to right (8) I was on 5 initially, maxed at 130-140 (16%, 45 minute drive and 20 minute pre condition before leaving). I moved to 6 and maxed at 130. There were 2 vehicles there in 1 and 2 and a third in 8. ie, load bearing shouldnt be a problem with that volume and v3. Which charger were you on?

I was on the first one by the entrance - so when looking towards them from the front no.8 in your message. I did pop in to look at the new spec M3, but didn't mention it.

EDITED TO ADD: Looking at my TeslaMate stats, it went from 41% at 09:49:47 to 90% at 10:31:53 with almost a straight line graph. 43 minutes for 36kWh. And TeslaFi shows 09:52-10:32, 42-90%, 36.35kWh

Last edited:
I moved to 6 and maxed at 130. There were 2 vehicles there in 1 and 2 and a third in 8. ie, load bearing shouldnt be a problem with that volume and v3.

Sharing might be an issue. We don't know if there are inter-cabinet links, but in any case your scenario had two cars per cabinet. Total cabinet input is 350kVA (assuming max voltage - maybe a bit less here as the photos don't seem to show signs of a dedicated transformer). Output of 130kW is not far short of half a cabinet - again, we don't yet know much about the V3 sharing algorithm, could be like V2 and give priority to the 1st car.

So not clearly limited by sharing, but could possibly be.

Tried the wybaston charger off the A1 today, first supercharger use, got a consistent 60kwh but that may be because I hadn’t preheated the car for mor than a couple of miles.

It was all going so well until a albeit nice model S pulled up and parked across 2 bays to changer their car

Latest on Edinburgh is that the stalls were live yesterday but not open for "public" use due to the space being required for new deliveries (cars parked two deep!). Availability from Christmas Eve is rumoured.

Yeah, there were cars without plates parked in front of them when I was there, but none plugged in; I did wonder if they might only be using it to help charge new deliveries right now.

Just trying to get confirmation of whether the new ones are V3 or V2. They’re at the other side of the shopping centre so effectively a new install.
You can use the "Superchargers" IOS app where you can get any kind of info about current Superchargers and new (permit, under construction, etc.)Superchargers.

IMG_5059.jpeg IMG_5060.jpeg

You can use the "Superchargers" IOS app where you can get any kind of info about current Superchargers and new (permit, under construction, etc.)Superchargers.

View attachment 619152 View attachment 619153
The app and its source (Supercharge.info) don’t have access to original data from Tesla, it’s compiled from user knowledge in this group and others, like TOGUK. So often you’ll see news posted here and then it will be edited into the Superchargers.info database and then appear in the app.

It does seem completely random how quickly Tesla update the nav and the website with new info... some take ages, others instant.

delay in updating the nav is usually deliberate: often the ‘first charge’ is reported before the site is really finished, and it sometimes goes offline again before being officially complete. The nav data is clearly in some sense a live feed from the management system used to operate the network (hence the live occupancy info).

The main website on the other hand seems to be manually updated and so often out of date or inaccurate in other ways.

Scotch Corner now has Parking Eye. Reception says it went in a month ago.

Options on the touchscreen are confusing for EVs - reception said I need not pay for parking (signs talk of a discounted rate for EV charging - but I asked twice to confirm...nothing in writing though which makes you nervous - but “the discounted rate is nothing”).

I was directed to use ‘Hotel/Bar Guest’ on the touchscreen - it was the only non-charging option I could find. No explicit EV option. No receipt for registering - so take a photo of your reg on the display.

In car Nav notified me to register - A4 small print notices on the tombstones (that may or may not meet the minimum sized signage threshold if you get a charge! Google fighting Parking Eye if so. I’ve been successful in the past for my pensioner Mum at a Sports Direct...after getting an MP involved vs one of these companies).

One big sign as you drive in - but hard to register as you’re focused on the big puddle and ‘did they fix that massive pothole?’. Camera to left over hotel entrance pointing at car park entrance.