Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting point. App Store geoblocking is not something that I have thought about. I guess a side effect of managing the various streaming services
Or to prevent confusion - ie you can't download the NZ or US McDonald's apps in Australia, or the US Starbucks app.

Download apps, wonder why they don't work!

And then visit overseas and be annoyed when you cant download the apps for the country you're in.

-
As a developer, they just need to tick the countries they want their app to be available in - NRMA could make their app available in the US App Store or UK App Store pretty easily.

Or to prevent confusion - ie you can't download the NZ or US McDonald's apps in Australia, or the US Starbucks app.

Download apps, wonder why they don't work!

And then visit overseas and be annoyed when you cant download the apps for the country you're in.

-
As a developer, they just need to tick the countries they want their app to be available in - NRMA could make their app available in the US App Store or UK App Store pretty easily.
The app stores should really add a way to easily switch your app store region while you're travelling.

Failing that obvious step, any travel or tourism related business - EV charger networks certainly included - should be publishing "all regions".

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
This highlights a very common problem I have been exposed to for almost all my life - working and living throughout the year in Europe, the US, and Australia. The next problem they're gonna have even if the app is available globally in the app store is the credit card acceptance, lack or incorrect formatting of phone numbers and post codes... the list goes on. The only way I have been managing to get around these problems for my use case is to have at least one bank account and credit card on each continent I frequent.

The lesson is that our global economy is surprisingly local...

This is why Uber has one app globally, but it has hundreds of screens for the all the different local payment options. Uber has to just work when someone walks out of the airport anywhere.
I believe Tesla is the same - one app, but varies from region to region

(eg in Europe you can add charging cards to the Tesla app as a payment option, like Polestar Charge, but not in other regions like Australia)

IMG_4769.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting post on tourists using EVs in Australia and unable to access various apps including NRMA, BP and Ampol (not sure if new or AMPCharge one)
Yeah, it's been brought up on this forum previously.

It's one of the reasons why I believe regulators should regulate standard forms of payment (like RFID credit/debit cards) for essential services like vehicle charging. I think they have done this in UK.

Other reasons include:
1. The app stops working for some reason
2. I lost my phone
3. My phone stopped working
4. The cellular data service is down
5. I want to loan my car to a friend
6. I want to hire an EV
7. Why TF do I need to have 15 charging apps on my phone
8. It's creating a disturbing precedent. Imagine if this concept extended beyond vehicle charging and eventually you need to download an f-ing app for every single shop and service you do business with.

Now whilst the RFID credit/debit card solution (which every other business in the country uses) may also depend upon a cellular data service being available, it solves pretty much any other issue, including the international traveller.

EDIT: I acknowledge that you need an app to use Uber. However, the App is an intrinsic part of how the Uber service operates. In fact, the Uber business plan is not actually a car-for-hire business. Their entire business is actually just creating and maintaining an app. The drivers and customers just use the app, and the app collects payment as well.

You shouldn't need an app to charge an EV. The app may be useful to tell you in advance if the charger is available, but that should be optional.

This highlights a very common problem I have been exposed to for almost all my life - working and living throughout the year in Europe, the US, and Australia. The next problem they're gonna have even if the app is available globally in the app store is the credit card acceptance, lack or incorrect formatting of phone numbers and post codes... the list goes on. The only way I have been managing to get around these problems for my use case is to have at least one bank account and credit card on each continent I frequent.

The lesson is that our global economy is surprisingly local...
Yeah.

You can't buy JR-Central tickets online with most international credit cards, and there's a surprising number of websites in Japan that just redirect you to a 403 Forbidden response if you're coming from an Australian IP address.. which includes when you're with an Australian carrier and using roaming.

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
You can't buy JR-Central tickets online with most international credit cards,
Japan relies on cold hard cash. It's a very safe country. You can drop a wallet with thousands of dollars equivalent and someone will pick it up and run to return it to you.

Having a charging network that relies entirely on the banking system is dangerous in a country that allows people to be debanked.

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
Japan relies on cold hard cash. It's a very safe country. You can drop a wallet with thousands of dollars equivalent and someone will pick it up and run to return it to you.
Less so than it used to be - 15 years ago I had to withdraw massive wads of the folding stuff to pay for every hotel room, ryokan and restaurant bill. This year, every accommodation provider I visited and probably 80% of restaurants accepted Mastercard / VISA. I suspect the popularity of Line has led to a lot more acceptance of electronic payment options.

And of course the ubiquitous "IC card" stored value cards (my number one tip for visitors to Japan is to pick up an IC card at the airport on the way in).

Appears that all the NRMA regional 50kW chargers are now showing up in the Chargefox app and available to commence charging via the Chargefox app (and presumably RFID)
Although the entries don't mention NRMA or have the NRMA logo

Pricing is flat $0.60/kWh, so no discount as applies to the ultra-fast charger.

Seems to correctly reflect our of order (eg Inverell) or in use status as well (albeit Chargefox use the same black pin for both those scenarios)

Baby steps I guess.

Bathurst site next to the Tesla superchargers shown as an example.

Screenshot_20240404_175526.jpg

Screenshot_20240404_175459.jpg

Last edited:
Appears that all the NRMA regional 50kW chargers are now showing up in the Chargefox app and available to commence charging.
Although the entries don't mention NRMA or have the NRMA logo

Pricing is flat $0.60/kWh, so no discount as applies to the ultra-fast charger.

Baby steps I guess.

View attachment 1035369
View attachment 1035370
Finally - though it's not hard to be better than the NRMA website 'app'.
Much easier to scroll around and check which stations are actually available.

Strange. I've been with Chargefox for over 3 yrs, have an RFID card and signed up with NRMA on their App and with my paid account etc.

I have the latest Chargefox App.

But it shows neither Bathurst nor Lithgow.

Goulburn is still there along with the 10% NRMA discount.

So this seems rather selective. Perhaps I haven't been a big enough Chargefox user in recent times???