Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't seem to understand my replies - the car charges for a few seconds at most when I plug in & stop it.

I'm certainly not going to worry about less than a penny a month for this.
Except when IO doesn’t stop the charge (it happens either because of Tesla issues or IO issues) and you’ve now done a couple quids worth of charging before noticing or IO sorts itself out. Not a huge issue really, but not one you’ll ever encounter with this setup.

Reactions: JIBYC and Toblerone
Fair play to you. I just don't understand why you'd persist with the 15/20 second per time activity of activily stopping it rather than a one time set and forget method.

Different minds wired different ways I guess, for me the ridiculously minor efficiency gain is a "win", one less thing to have to remember to do and therefore more likely I'll persist with something like IO.
Let me understand this correctly:
If you set up the 5:30 as your end of off-peak charge, car will stop charging by 5:30. Which is fine.

Fair enough. 6 hrs x 9 = 63%. So i should never ever need to charge more than 63% from the SOC when i arrive?
Also, in such case - do you still have the off-peak rate schedules allocated during on-peak times, let's say 10 pm?

Let me understand this correctly:
If you set up the 5:30 as your end of off-peak charge, car will stop charging by 5:30. Which is fine.

Fair enough. 6 hrs x 9 = 63%. So i should never ever need to charge more than 63% from the SOC when i arrive?
Also, in such case - do you still have the off-peak rate schedules allocated during on-peak times, let's say 10 pm?
No, this isn't how it works.

Setting off peak charging just tells the Tesla not to start charging immediately, the car will plan to start charging later in order to stop by 5:30. That is all the off peak setting does.

IO takes over from here, IO can start your charge at any time it deems necessary, that could be a 10pm off peak slot it's allocated you, it could be a post 5:30am off peak slot it's allocated you. IO will start and stop a charge whenever it deems fit and nothing about the off peak setting in the Tesla itself will change that.

Does anyone know if or how the national grid scheme to incentivise reducing load during peak hours will affect Octopus customers, specifically those on IO?

Households will be paid £3 per kilowatt hour instead of 52p, if they avoid high-power activities, such as cooking, when demand is high, the firm said.
Energy firms Octopus and E.On had said the 52p payment to incentivise customers to sign up was too low.

It'll likely be run by energy suppliers from per-customer historical half hourly use averages over a trailing time period, with a fixed amount per kWh saved credited to the account on the occasions stated in advance the day before. Since it's energy and not price, it shouldn't apply to IO any differently.

I don’t understand this at all. I usually pay £110 DD.
Hello Michael,

Just a quick reminder: we'll collect your monthly Direct Debit payment of £43.00 on 24th October.

It can take up to four working days for a Direct Debit payment to clear and appear on your online account balance.

This is £67.00 less per property than usual, to pass on the discount of the Energy Bill Support Scheme. From October, you'll receive a monthly discount on your account of £66 (rising to £67 from December to March) from the Government.

We're required to reduce your monthly payments as part of the scheme — but should you prefer to use the scheme to build up a buffer, simply adjust your payment back up in the next 48 hours.

Making changes to your payment
If you want to cancel or change this month's payment, you can change your payment here. Please let us know as soon as you can.
Love and power,
The Octopus Energy team
P.S.
Here are some ways we can help if you're struggling with your bills at the moment
Wish mine was this low

Reactions: mick4545
My DD has been £1 since March. I usually put it up to about £30 over winter but with the Government funding I’m on a payment holiday.
But, I am heavily invested in solar, so it’s as broad as it is long
As tempted as one can be in saying you lucky so and so, its a path that you previously chose regardless (unless you have one of those crystal balls).. What a lovely bonus you have in these times. Even for those that money is not an issue as far as getting solar and batteries installed, its a damn long wait right now and for how ever long the lead times are, there will be money wasted in between.

As tempted as one can be in saying you lucky so and so, its a path that you previously chose regardless (unless you have one of those crystal balls).. What a lovely bonus you have in these times. Even for those that money is not an issue as far as getting solar and batteries installed, its a damn long wait right now and for how ever long the lead times are, there will be money wasted in between.
I didn’t see this coming at all. I got into solar before EV’s and once on board with the first one, found a need for batteries and with the second EV, a need for more solar. It has turned out to be a good position to be in. The downside is cost, the upside is virtual self-sufficiency for 6 months of the year. If I could store the 2 megawatts or so that I export, I’d be completely off grid.
It’s a great shame that new builds aren’t mandated to have a minimum level of solar panels/batteries. If that were the case at least there would be the green shoots of much less reliance on the grid. I’ve seen new builds with just 3 panels to get round compliance which frankly is a joke. But, it’s a start!

I’ve seen new builds with just 3 panels to get round compliance which frankly is a joke. But, it’s a start!
Indeed. And if the infrastructure is already the its a good incentive for people to expand to their needs since I fear for allot of people, its the cost of this as well as disruption and unsightly wiring.

Yes, the initial cost is a bit steep but many rather have the money doing nothing in the bank other than lowering their monthly expenses which imho is money better spent (as well as keeping some contingency) and giving it away in interests to banks, electricity companies and so on on monthlies.

Reactions: Dilly
This energy crisis prompted me to double my gross solar from 5.5kW to 10.1kW, but helped by the cost being £1k for each kW installed. The last 4.6kW of panels have been up for a month, but parts shortages have delayed our inverter installation for at least another week. PW3 should be installed this month, but now I’ve no date.

It’s a tough time getting solar and PWs so let’s hope installers don’t maximise profits as demand outstrips supply.

Only consolation that being all electric, it’s been so warm that we’re not had the heating on yet and all power is consumed at cheap GO rate.

‘Savings Sessions’ now live from 1st Nov. About £3/kWh.

The thing is they will use the last 10 days average usage ahead of each session to calculate the savings (BSC P376 'Utilising a Baseline Methodology to set Physical Notifications').

Do I load shift most days to on-peak so that I increase my average and maximise ‘savings’? Not morally right but unintentional consequences of the approach chosen.

Reactions: rowedav