Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does IO have any integration/knowledge of solar panels? Just noticed my car is charging at the moment, and my solar panels are pulling in a decent amount! I've "just" got a podpoint charger, so that has no integration with my solar panels.

Blimey. Just compared my current go faster for the month to intelligent. It’s gone from £71 to £197! I know I won’t get that go faster deal any more but that’s ridiculous.
904CAFF0-D0F1-4281-AF69-FB32A7D9F9E4.png

Blimey. Just compared my current go faster for the month to intelligent. It’s gone from £71 to £197! I know I won’t get that go faster deal any more but that’s ridiculous.
From the look of your usage bumps on certain days, it seems like you may not have set the lower rates at the correct times. To compare more like-for-like you need to change the start & end times of IO to the same times as your off-peak charging on GoFaster. In other words, set the IO off-peak times to 20:30-01:30. That will likely even it out a bit & give a better comparison. You'll obviously be moving your charging times to the 23:30 slot to take advantage of the 7.5p rate.

Reactions: browellm
From the look of your usage bumps on certain days, it seems like you may not have set the lower rates at the correct times. To compare more like-for-like you need to change the start & end times of IO to the same times as your off-peak charging on GoFaster. In other words, set the IO off-peak times to 20:30-01:30. That will likely even it out a bit & give a better comparison. You'll obviously be moving your charging times to the 23:30 slot to take advantage of the 7.5p rate.
Thanks. The compare app only lets me do full hours pricing and not half but I can get a better idea.

That’s a bit better. £158.70. It should be even cheaper though because I got it to start at the cheap rate from 9pm until 1pm when I can do half hour each side.

That’s a bit better. £158.70. It should be even cheaper though because I got it to start at the cheap rate from 9pm until 1pm when I can do half hour each side.
Yes that sounds a bit more like it. My daytime usage is a higher percentage of my total due to 3 people working from home, so whichever tariff I move to when my GoFaster expires this month will more than double my bill, likely 2½x, which is painful... Still not sure whether to switch to Go or IO, but for IO I'll need to buy an iPhone, which is inconvenient to say the least. I may just get a cheap used one just to use IO on as I definitely don't want to switch my main phone from Android.

Reactions: Tigermad
Just switched over to octopus energy today, and so I’m on the standard fixed rate until I can switch to Go or Intelligent octopus.
Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on what I should (or could) choose?
My circumstances are:
I have an Oct 2021 M3P, and have a Wallbox pulsar plus charger. (So far so good, as I know both are compatible with intelligent octopus.)
The issue though is that my wife has a Cupra Formentor hybrid on order, which should arrive in the next month or so. (Semiconductor dependant.)
Intelligent was my plan, as obviously the 6hrs off peak is ideal. But I’ve read that you can’t have 2 cars on the plan, only 1? Also, it only shows Tesla as compatible (for now, as both car brands and car numbers allowed on the plan are set to increase in time.)
My query is, could i do the connection test with my Tesla and sign up to intelligent. But then use both the cupra and the Tesla on the plan? (Would octopus know which car was plugged in?)
Or am I restricted to octopus go only, as a result of having two different cars (and manufacturers?)
Thanks for any help in advance. :)

Just switched over to octopus energy today, and so I’m on the standard fixed rate until I can switch to Go or Intelligent octopus.
Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on what I should (or could) choose?
My circumstances are:
I have an Oct 2021 M3P, and have a Wallbox pulsar plus charger. (So far so good, as I know both are compatible with intelligent octopus.)
The issue though is that my wife has a Cupra Formentor hybrid on order, which should arrive in the next month or so. (Semiconductor dependant.)
Intelligent was my plan, as obviously the 6hrs off peak is ideal. But I’ve read that you can’t have 2 cars on the plan, only 1? Also, it only shows Tesla as compatible (for now, as both car brands and car numbers allowed on the plan are set to increase in time.)
My query is, could do the connection test with my Tesla and sign up to intelligent. But then use both the cupra and the Tesla on the plan? (Would octopus know which car was plugged in?)
Or am I restricted to octopus go only, as a result of having two different cars (and manufacturers?)
Thanks for any help in advance. :)
As far as I know you can only have one on the IO scheme being controlled smartly but there should be nothing stopping you charging another car using the off peak rate. Just schedule the charge either in the car or via charger app. The IO bit is controlled via the Tesla API and your charger is treated as dumb anyway.

At least that is my take.

As far as I know you can only have one on the IO scheme being controlled smartly but there should be nothing stopping you charging another car using the off peak rate. Just schedule the charge either in the car or via charger app. The IO bit is controlled via the Tesla API and your charger is treated as dumb anyway.

At least that is my take.
Yes only a Tesla will be controlled by IO which frequently gives greater than the 23.30-05.30 6 hour time slot.

We also occasionally charge my wife's Fiat 500e during those 6 hours using the 7kWh charger if the Tesla doesn't need it or via its own 10a granny charger at the same time. If IO offers additional low rate time slots, the other car can be programmed to use these as well.

A simple search for Intelligent Octopus would have given you the answers.

I did, hence why I clearly said I knew about the 1 vehicle rule and it only being compatible with Tesla for now. I wasn’t asking what their official blurb said, I was asking if there was a way around it for two vehicles, from people who may be in the same boat and who are currently doing the same.
Sorry, I thought this was a forum to help, discuss, and pass on knowledge to others. I didn’t see smart arse reply forum in the title?!

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k and ACarneiro
Yes only a Tesla will be controlled by IO which frequently gives greater than the 23.30-05.30 6 hour time slot.

We also occasionally charge my wife's Fiat 500e during those 6 hours using the 7kWh charger if the Tesla doesn't need it or via its own 10a granny charger at the same time. If IO offers additional low rate time slots, the other car can be programmed to use these as well.
Thank you, just the kind of helpful information I was looking for. :)

Reactions: 94jdh
I did, hence why I clearly said I knew about the 1 vehicle rule and it only being compatible with Tesla for now. I wasn’t asking what their official blurb said, I was asking if there was a way around it for two vehicles, from people who may be in the same boat and who are currently doing the same.
Sorry, I thought this was a forum to help, discuss, and pass on knowledge to others. I didn’t see smart arse reply forum in the title?!
I thought he was referring to my question!!

is this reliable? Have a model 3 and a Zappi, and for me the intelligent rates for my area are identical to my 'new' go rates (30p peak, ouch; 7.5p off peak) but 6 hours off peak vs 4, and starting an hour earlier.
Yes it is, just ensure you disable IO smart device control in the app when not charging as highlighted in the thread to avoid phantom drain. Otherwise it is good.

Reactions: Tigermad and Mrklaw

does it require the tesla plugged in every night (I only charge twice a week)? or you just set a limit like 80% and plug it in when you need to? Depending how control freaky they want to be they may prefer smaller regular topups to give timing flexibility rather than me waiting until 30% to plug in and it needing more time.

And surprised you're allowed to just plug in another car as you're not timeshifting/demand shaping that one which is the point of the tariff. If octopus don't mind it maybe helps them research and get investment on demand shaping just from the tesla fleet for now

does it require the tesla plugged in every night (I only charge twice a week)? or you just set a limit like 80% and plug it in when you need to? Depending how control freaky they want to be they may prefer smaller regular topups to give timing flexibility rather than me waiting until 30% to plug in and it needing more time.

And surprised you're allowed to just plug in another car as you're not timeshifting/demand shaping that one which is the point of the tariff. If octopus don't mind it maybe helps them research and get investment on demand shaping just from the tesla fleet for now
No it doesn't, read my reply to your prior post. I've topped up over 50% on most occasions (LR) using same pattern as you suggest and it is fine. They give you extra 30 min slots to accommodate based on your battery size and charge speed. Mind you, if using a Granny charger I'm not so sure that it would work as I have a PodPoint 7kw.

Reactions: Mrklaw