Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am on IO and plugged in just after 5pm, but still have not got a charging schedule. I normally stop the charge in the Tesla app as soon as it starts charging and did so today. Then at around 9pm I started a charge for a minute on the Tesla app to see if that kicks the schedule to appear but still nothing. Anyone know if there are issues at Octopus end?

Anyone had trouble charging last night? Long drive this morning only to wake up with 66%. Checked the charging schedule last night and all normal with multiple charging times. Wondering if there was an issue with the clocks going back an hour. Had to unplug and plug in again to start charge again. Leaving with 80%, not idea just need to stop before destination instead of afterwards.

Hi, I am on IO and plugged in just after 5pm, but still have not got a charging schedule. I normally stop the charge in the Tesla app as soon as it starts charging and did so today. Then at around 9pm I started a charge for a minute on the Tesla app to see if that kicks the schedule to appear but still nothing. Anyone know if there are issues at Octopus end?
My schedule appeared at 11.33pm. I only noticed because the car started charging then.

Assuming 900miles a month charging 60kWh EV via 7kW charger. Roughly charging 4 times a month 100% each time. (So 10,000 miles a year roughly). Max electricity use for general day to day at 7.8kWh.

Works out roughly £4 more expensive a month to go onto Intelligent Tariff from standard variable. If I charge more than 5 times a month it's cheaper on IO.. but that mean I'll definitely be exceeding 10,000miles a year which is my lease agreement.
So if I'm reading right thats around 8 kWh non EV use per day plus 60 kWh EV charging per week?

8 x 44.35p = £3.54 non EV
60/7 x 10p = £0.86 EV
37.38p standing charge
£4.77 on IO per day

Versus

8 x 35.8p = £2.86 non EV
60/7 x 35.8p = £3.07 EV
31.51p standing charge
£6.24 on the price cap (London rates)
(Cheaper in some other regions but no-one lands under £4.77)

There are likely flaws in my man maths!

So if I'm reading right thats around 8 kWh non EV use per day plus 60 kWh EV charging per week?

8 x 44.35p = £3.54 non EV
60/7 x 10p = £0.86 EV
37.38p standing charge
£4.77 on IO per day

Versus

8 x 35.8p = £2.86 non EV
60/7 x 35.8p = £3.07 EV
31.51p standing charge
£6.24 on the price cap (London rates)
(Cheaper in some other regions but no-one lands under £4.77)

There are likely flaws in my man maths!

Haha. If the battery is 60kWh isn't it just 60 x 10p /100? Then account for 6 hours on off-peak tariff and then 2.6hours on peak tariff as 60/7 = 8.6 hours to charge a 60kWh battery at 7kw?

Interesting reading.
I'm in the process of getting a smart meter , switch to Octopus, install solar with 10kw of battery storage.
Am I correct in thinking that I can utilise IO to load shift?
i.e charge up the car, the batteries and use the dishwasher etc during the 'off peak' hours and benefit from some attractive rates?

Interesting reading.
I'm in the process of getting a smart meter , switch to Octopus, install solar with 10kw of battery storage.
Am I correct in thinking that I can utilise IO to load shift?
i.e charge up the car, the batteries and use the dishwasher etc during the 'off peak' hours and benefit from some attractive rates?
You can do this with either the Go, Go Faster or IO Tariffs, we have Go Faster with a 21:30 - 01:30 slot and so can shift Dishwasher, Washing Machine etc. into this slot as well as charging the car.

Reactions: DaveNN
Assuming 900miles a month charging 60kWh EV via 7kW charger. Roughly charging 4 times a month 100% each time. (So 10,000 miles a year roughly). Max electricity use for general day to day at 7.8kWh.

Do you presently have an EV? Driving 900 miles a month and only charging 4 times a month doesn't look a likely way to operate ... IMO. That sounds like an ICE style strategy to me! It may not affect calculations much if the total charging adds up to the same but believe me, that's not the way to run an EV ... even one that can safely be charged to 100%. Topping up is the way to go. It's not very comforting driving a car with minimal percentage onboard. And winter is approaching ... you'll be warming the car in the mornings etc.

You can do this with either the Go, Go Faster or IO Tariffs, we have Go Faster with a 21:30 - 01:30 slot and so can shift Dishwasher, Washing Machine etc. into this slot as well as charging the car.
Wasn't sure if GO had GOne. GO faster has a more sensible timing, the good lady won't have a tumble dryer on at silly o'clock...and she ain't having a Heat Pump version until this one goes pear shaped.

Edit. GO Faster has GOne

Do you presently have an EV? Driving 900 miles a month and only charging 4 times a month doesn't look a likely way to operate ... IMO. That sounds like an ICE style strategy to me! It may not affect calculations much if the total charging adds up to the same but believe me, that's not the way to run an EV ... even one that can safely be charged to 100%. Topping up is the way to go. It's not very comforting driving a car with minimal percentage onboard. And winter is approaching ... you'll be warming the car in the mornings etc.

Thanks for the advice. I don't yet but hopefully taking delivery in next month or so. I will keep it plugged in most of the time but had to make some assumptions for the calculations at this stage.

Reactions: Adopado
Haha. If the battery is 60kWh isn't it just 60 x 10p /100? Then account for 6 hours on off-peak tariff and then 2.6hours on peak tariff as 60/7 = 8.6 hours to charge a 60kWh battery at 7kw?
Was working out a daily rate (hence the divide by 7), why charge only once a week bleeding into peak times when you can spread the 60 kWh throughout the week and benefit from off peak?

Was working out a daily rate (hence the divide by 7), why charge only once a week bleeding into peak times when you can spread the 60 kWh throughout the week and benefit from off peak?

Thanks for clarifying. Most of my driving is long journeys requiring 100% charges ready. But yes if I take the above approach it's roughly a £16 saving a month by moving to IO. That is assuming I'll be using off-peak to charge all of the time which is unlikely so another scenario is assuming half time on off peak and the other on a split - maximise off-peak and use some peak to ensure 100% charge. Under this more realistic scenario for my usage it's around a £6 saving moving to IO.

Thanks for clarifying. Most of my driving is long journeys requiring 100% charges ready. But yes if I take the above approach it's roughly a £16 saving a month by moving to IO. That is assuming I'll be using off-peak to charge all of the time which is unlikely so another scenario is assuming half time on off peak and the other on a split - maximise off-peak and use some peak to ensure 100% charge. Under this more realistic scenario for my usage it's around a £6 saving moving to IO.
You won't get many 100% drives in if only doing 900 miles a month?

Reactions: Adopado
Morning All - have anyone seen these notifications before? Wondering if I need to change things so I don't get in trouble...

I currently have IO set up to 100%, and the car set to 90% for reference.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 09.32.26.png

Reactions: SteveJol