Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM TESLA roof racks Crack Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My torque wrench’s indicator click is inaudible at 2-3nm :(

I love to torque everything to spec. I pay more attention to the tactile click than audible. Which torque wrench are you using? You can maybe buy a better wrench but it’s not necessary. Just need to tighten until the bars are snug and don’t move. The nut is notched and won’t back out once it’s locked.

Thanks for this info! Purchased mine and installed just a couple weeks ago and it still came with old specs in the manual. I was cringing the whole time trying to get it to the 5-6nm. Will re-adjust it tonight.

The original S had mounting points for roof racks on the metal portions on the Roof .
It would have been nice if they continued that. The glass roof is sexy but the practicality
seems low. Also there is the potential Heat problem, They could have al least put some relief in the glass at that point . I am guessing this is the same on the Y. This is not to cool as I want to carry sailboards and SUP's basically all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: ECCtechguy
I had the Vancouver service center install mine last week for exactly this reason. They did a great job in just under an hour and charged me $100CAN. Worry free for me.
You can always install the rack loosely, then either get the service center or a mobile technician to tighten it up. That's what I did. Mobile tech was more than happy to torque it up for me. And if it broke..... it's Tesla's fault!

My roof glass cracked at the end of July in two spots on the passenger side. The front crack goes to the leading edge of the glass while the rear crack goes to the rear rack foot pack, just ahead of it by about an inch. I have a service appointment to have it replaced Sep 25 - so far they are telling me it won't be covered under warranty, which I'm complaining about of course.

Sorry to say but this was your fault due to misplacement of the bracket. There is a reference arrow etched lightly into the glass to indicate the correct position (install instructions do mention this). It corresponds to a metal reinforced slot under the glass which is what the metal bracket hooks into. I drew a box on your original image to highlight where that etching is. You installed the plastic film with matching arrow further down and therefore missed the correct slot. That is why when you torqued it down it pressed directly on the glass and cracked it.

1DDB2A9B-728B-4F30-9B58-A3D86B87B114.jpeg

I have the roof racks from Tesla and install and remove them 4-5 times a year. Never had any issue at all. I take my time and install the brackets very carefully to ensure they are under the retainers and not on the glass. I then torque to spec to not be too tight. I suspect most of these issues are due to people rushing to mount, and then wrenching them down super tight to be absolutely sure they are locked down tight and won't move without first checking that the retainers and the clips are in the right place and instead they are only attached TO the glass. Bam, of course a crack. If you don't have the patience you can always have an SC mount them for you and just leave them on. If the glass cracks they are to blame.

Reactions: futuret and 5280mcs
Sorry to say but this was your fault due to misplacement of the bracket. There is a reference arrow etched lightly into the glass to indicate the correct position (install instructions do mention this). It corresponds to a metal reinforced slot under the glass which is what the metal bracket hooks into. I drew a box on your original image to highlight where that etching is. You installed the plastic film with matching arrow further down and therefore missed the correct slot. That is why when you torqued it down it pressed directly on the glass and cracked it.

View attachment 589167

Welcome to 11/18/2019 ;):D

OEM TESLA roof racks Crack Glass

After your first install, it should be relatively easy to know you have the brackets in the right spot. Just wiggle it left/right a bit and you will feel the bracket in the metal retainers. Don't feel metal-to-metal or there's too much play, then it's in the wrong spot.

For me, wiggling the bracket didn't help that much. That is, I couldn't really tell, unambiguously, that it was against the metal. But I was careful that it lined up with the arrows, under-torqued it slightly, and everything went fine.

RoofRackAttachments.jpg

My glass cracked after I very carefully installed following instructions and video. I was careful to get the correct spot and to not over torque.

The service centre said the metal bracket under the glass was not welded (properly?) on one side and the bracket pushed against the glass and cracked it. Not my fault, replaced under warranty. They re-installed the rack afterwards.

It was stressful, but in the end I am happy.

My glass cracked after I very carefully installed following instructions and video. I was careful to get the correct spot and to not over torque.

The service centre said the metal bracket under the glass was not welded (properly?) on one side and the bracket pushed against the glass and cracked it. Not my fault, replaced under warranty. They re-installed the rack afterwards.

It was stressful, but in the end I am happy.
That is why I paid the mobile rep to put it on and that baby is not coming off...ever!

Reactions: cwerdna
That is why I paid the mobile rep to put it on and that baby is not coming off...ever!
You'll note that I said it was their fault, not mine. Follow the instructions and it should work. Make sure you use the arrow guides, are under the metal clip (I was, the clip was faulty), and don't over-torque.

My issue was no fault of my own, it was a fault with the car. If the Tech had put it on, it would have also cracked. They replaced it under warranty. If it is their fault, they will fix it. If you aren't sure if you can follow the basic steps, then pay them to do it.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Delayed installing my roof racks out of fear of cracking the glass. Buy beat torque wrench you can buy. Take extra care, and way too long lining everything up to make sure everything is perfect. Tighten bolts in cross cross pattern slowly to make sure all sides are tightening at the same time. Inch the torque wrench to 2NM on each nut. And go through again with the wrench set to 2.8 just to line up the bolts so they can lock, and my rear passenger glass cracks at just past 2NM.
more frustrating than the looming incoming bill, is the care and attention and research I did to make sure I was doing it right. I work with tools regularly, I’m technically inclined. This shouldn't happen. If it’s this fragile then it should be installed at the shop.

Attachments

• 21852071-7FFA-43DB-94AA-242A7A228356.jpeg
    21852071-7FFA-43DB-94AA-242A7A228356.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 346
  • 36F53334-8F15-4C12-8FE1-5A13154AB65B.jpeg
    36F53334-8F15-4C12-8FE1-5A13154AB65B.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 7695FB70-ED72-43B2-B2D9-963411378771.jpeg
    7695FB70-ED72-43B2-B2D9-963411378771.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 349
  • 594C6005-8971-42C1-826E-47DB62E6F30F.jpeg
    594C6005-8971-42C1-826E-47DB62E6F30F.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 373
Delayed installing my roof racks out of fear of cracking the glass. Buy beat torque wrench you can buy. Take extra care, and way too long lining everything up to make sure everything is perfect. Tighten bolts in cross cross pattern slowly to make sure all sides are tightening at the same time. Inch the torque wrench to 2NM on each nut. And go through again with the wrench set to 2.8 just to line up the bolts so they can lock, and my rear passenger glass cracks at just past 2NM.
more frustrating than the looming incoming bill, is the care and attention and research I did to make sure I was doing it right. I work with tools regularly, I’m technically inclined. This shouldn't happen. If it’s this fragile then it should be installed at the shop.

Hopefully you also have an incorrectly welded bracket and it will be replaced under warranty as it was for @jdr42 .

Hopefully you also have an incorrectly welded bracket and it will be replaced under warranty as it was for @jdr42 .

Yes. It must be defective because looking at how mine is built, there is no way the glass can crack simply by applying proper torque - the rack and the bracket it bolts to don't even touch the glass. The entire roof frame would have to deform to crack the glass and that's not going to happen with the low torque on those bolts.

My advice to those installing the rack is lower your head so your line of sight is at glass level. From this position you can see if the rubber pad under the rack stanchion contacts the glass as you tighten. If it does, stop! Something's not right. I've had mine on/off three times and it's easy-peasy. I look as I tighten - there is no way the glass can break because nothing should be touching the glass.

Well it looks like you installed the bracket in the right position. Sounds like a broken/improperly welded bracket...perhaps even a totally missing bracket? Sad to say but Wouldn’t put it passed tesla QA for that to happen. Did you get resistance when sliding it left and right?
You shouldn’t have to pay and hopefully you don’t. Let us know how it pans out......ask if they’re willing to take pics of what the bracket looks like when they take the glass off.

BTW when was your car built? Same as @jdr42 ? Maybe there’s a batch of cars within same period that have issues with the bracket.