Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is garaged just a wooden door away from a room I spend a fair bit of time in, so I can hear the contactors on the big battery click when it sleeps/wakes. I have sentry mode disabled so “normal” is that the car goes to sleep a short while after I park it and it stays asleep until I go somewhere.

Yeah, and we've had ours for ~14 months, same garage, same weather/temp patterns, and we work from home, so it's in a very consistent environment. I'm also a dev who does a lot of data analytics, so I tend to be a nerd about behavior patterns with system/tech/data and in the last few weeks, something changed.

I did go through from 20.6 >> 20.7 >> 20.8 over the source of the last 30 days, so thinking maybe that's where I picked up this bug - assuming it's not on the Tesla app side, where I went from 4.11.2 >> 4.12 in roughly the same period.

At least is very minor, 1% day isn't a huge deal.

Yeah, and we've had ours for ~14 months, same garage, same weather/temp patterns, and we work from home, so it's in a very consistent environment. I'm also a dev who does a lot of data analytics, so I tend to be a nerd about behavior patterns with system/tech/data and in the last few weeks, something changed.

I did go through from 20.6 >> 20.7 >> 20.8 over the source of the last 30 days, so thinking maybe that's where I picked up this bug - assuming it's not on the Tesla app side, where I went from 4.11.2 >> 4.12 in roughly the same period.

At least is very minor, 1% day isn't a huge deal.
I wonder if these periodic wakes are diagnostic data uploads. Would be interesting for someone experiencing it to monitor the car at the router level and see if it's uploading data.

@James@Tessie odd one. Automated scheduled charging during the week. Plugged in tonight ( Saturday) and it started to charge and I thought it turn off after not being in the automation zone but it continued to charge. Any ideas.

Attachments

• FB8B21E2-39A8-4D86-9DD0-41FB45B2868D.jpeg
    FB8B21E2-39A8-4D86-9DD0-41FB45B2868D.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 105
@James@Tessie odd one. Automated scheduled charging during the week. Plugged in tonight ( Saturday) and it started to charge and I thought it turn off after not being in the automation zone but it continued to charge. Any ideas.
It'll charge on days you don't have any schedule for. You can create a schedule for Saturday/Sunday if you want to restrict those days too. If you want there to be no charging on those days, use 12:00-12:01am.

I wonder if these periodic wakes are diagnostic data uploads. Would be interesting for someone experiencing it to monitor the car at the router level and see if it's uploading data.
Could be. I used to see similar behavior (sleeping all night for long stretches, then one “restless night”) when I used Teslamate. For a time I thought it was related to getting a new version, but I’m not sure anymore.

What had me concerned this time was that it has not had a good nights sleep for 3 nights. I did like everyone else and turned off monitoring. I even turned off alerts because some of those are new and I thought a bug crept into the code. However the next night was restless too so I’m sure it’s not the app doing it.

Reactions: James@Tessie
With regard to sleeping problems, I too had sleep issues due to a [possible] bug on the Tessie website. Some background, various attempts to fix, followed by the eventual solution below, in case it helps anyone:

I took delivery of a brand new Model 3 Performance just 10 days ago. Before I left the lot I immediately connected both Tessie and TeslaFi to the car in order to capture and log all data since mile 1 of ownership. I noticed almost immediately via both tools that the car was never staying asleep. As seen here in the screenshot at this link, my car would attempt to sleep regularly every 10-15 minutes or so when parked but then something would wake it up 1 minute later, and this behavior happened day in and day out.

Following the scientific method, I would change one variable at a time then observe to see if the behavior changed (disconnected wifi, moved wireless router right next to car, locked car while at designated "home" in garage, ensured sentry mode is off, disabled in cabin heat protection, waited for the car to update to Tesla's latest possible software version, force disabled any relevant phone apps, killed phone widgets... everything I could think of). Nothing worked and the car would consistently be woken up after only 1 minute of sleep and so the car was losing about 3% of power every 8 hours since it was always awake.

Finally came to the admission that it must be either TeslaFi or Tessie constantly polling the car and keeping it awake. Started with TeslaFi and tried all sorts of sleep settings scenarios and recommendations on both their site and this forum, still no joy. Eventually disabled TeslaFi entirely and let the car sit overnight. Next morning my car had still dropped 3% in just 7 hours and the Tessie activity page showed almost no sleep (seen here).

Next I moved over to troubleshoot Tessie. Ensured the "Auto Wake" toggle was properly set to off (it was) so I then went to the website to disable polling entirely for the night... that's where I saw that, even though the phone app (I'm on Android) had the 'Auto Wake' toggle set to off to not wake the car, on the website it was still set to on and it hadn't synced my phone setting. Turned off the 'Auto Wake' toggle in the browser and EUREKA, the car immediately began sleeping properly (as seen here and here).

So my advice to those having sleep issues is to check the website settings and make sure the 'Auto Wake' toggle is off there too and hopefully your car will be sleeping like a baby again. Something between those two toggles in the phone app and website not syncing was keeping my car awake and perhaps some of you are seeing the same. Maybe it was just a fluke in my case, but still figured it was worth sharing since that's the purpose of this board.

Love this app, btw. Your phone always has a few apps that you can tell have premium development behind them and this definitely feels like one of them. The developer is incredibly accessible and engaged, the app is beautiful and includes the exact add-on functionality we all wish the official app had, and I'm quite pleased that my personal data is not monetized or sold to advertisers. I have already recommended it to friends who also have Teslas. Thank you James for sharing your work with all of us, I plan to be a subscriber for many years to come.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
With regard to sleeping problems, I too had sleep issues due to a [possible] bug on the Tessie website. Some background, various attempts to fix, followed by the eventual solution below, in case it helps anyone:

I took delivery of a brand new Model 3 Performance just 10 days ago. Before I left the lot I immediately connected both Tessie and TeslaFi to the car in order to capture and log all data since mile 1 of ownership. I noticed almost immediately via both tools that the car was never staying asleep. As seen here in the screenshot at this link, my car would attempt to sleep regularly every 10-15 minutes or so when parked but then something would wake it up 1 minute later, and this behavior happened day in and day out.

Following the scientific method, I would change one variable at a time then observe to see if the behavior changed (disconnected wifi, moved wireless router right next to car, locked car while at designated "home" in garage, ensured sentry mode is off, disabled in cabin heat protection, waited for the car to update to Tesla's latest possible software version, force disabled any relevant phone apps, killed phone widgets... everything I could think of). Nothing worked and the car would consistently be woken up after only 1 minute of sleep and so the car was losing about 3% of power every 8 hours since it was always awake.

Finally came to the admission that it must be either TeslaFi or Tessie constantly polling the car and keeping it awake. Started with TeslaFi and tried all sorts of sleep settings scenarios and recommendations on both their site and this forum, still no joy. Eventually disabled TeslaFi entirely and let the car sit overnight. Next morning my car had still dropped 3% in just 7 hours and the Tessie activity page showed almost no sleep (seen here).

Next I moved over to troubleshoot Tessie. Ensured the "Auto Wake" toggle was properly set to off (it was) so I then went to the website to disable polling entirely for the night... that's where I saw that, even though the phone app (I'm on Android) had the 'Auto Wake' toggle set to off to not wake the car, on the website it was still set to on and it hadn't synced my phone setting. Turned off the 'Auto Wake' toggle in the browser and EUREKA, the car immediately began sleeping properly (as seen here and here).

So my advice to those having sleep issues is to check the website settings and make sure the 'Auto Wake' toggle is off there too and hopefully your car will be sleeping like a baby again. Something between those two toggles in the phone app and website not syncing was keeping my car awake and perhaps some of you are seeing the same. Maybe it was just a fluke in my case, but still figured it was worth sharing since that's the purpose of this board.

Love this app, btw. Your phone always has a few apps that you can tell have premium development behind them and this definitely feels like one of them. The developer is incredibly accessible and engaged, the app is beautiful and includes the exact add-on functionality we all wish the official app had, and I'm quite pleased that my personal data is not monetized or sold to advertisers. I have already recommended it to friends who also have Teslas. Thank you James for sharing your work with all of us, I plan to be a subscriber for many years to come.
Glad you figured it out! Thanks for the breakdown.

Using multiple Tesla tracking services simultaneously is unlikely to allow the car to sleep normally, because one service may communicate with the car while the other is trying to let it sleep. This is an unfortunate effect of the way the Tesla firmware is currently designed.

Indeed, Auto Wake is a per-device preference - for example, you'd probably want the car to wake up automatically when using your Apple Watch, but maybe not your iPhone.

The exact function of Auto Wake is to not automatically wake the car when you first open the app or website. If the car is already awake, Auto Wake doesn't do anything. And like keeping the app open, keeping the website open would keep the car awake. The default website behavior in the next update is for Auto Wake to be off to help prevent cases just like this. :)

I really appreciate you noticing the details. Thank you for your generous feedback.

Last edited:
Re (not) sleeping, the setting on the Tessie website isn’t the issue in my case - I rarely use it at all, have the setting set correctly for it not to wake the car, and haven’t used it (or even had a browser open on my computer) for several days.

@James@Tessie, I can’t monitor the network traffic to/from a particular device with my router unfortunately. I can report though, that the car is still largely doing the same thing (other than for a few hours it seemed to sleep continuously for the first time in a week or so since this all suddenly started). Firmware 2022.24.6 - which I installed two nights ago - didn’t seem to make any particular difference.

(aside: for those tuning in late and to save re-covering some ground, turning off Tessie monitoring didn’t make any difference, no other monitoring (or other connected apps) is running, I removed the Tesla widget from my phone Home Screen (just in case), nothing changed with the car/wifi/anything, but suddenly a week ago it started a wake/sleep cycle of (say) 30 minutes when it should be sleeping all night in the garage as it always has).

I am not sure how useful this graph from Tessie is for you James (your backend logs are likely better if you are interested in pursuing this at all - odds are it isn’t a Tessie issue at all, but rather some mothership change affecting some cars), but you can see the “interrupted sleep” when the car has been parked idle. Normally it has been “solid sleep” every night, just since about a week ago there has been this constant sleep/wake cycle, with last night being the first night in a week that the car seems to have had a continuous sleep for 7-8 hours.

C2692786-3915-4A12-872A-7C92920ED1C8.jpeg

Re (not) sleeping, the setting on the Tessie website isn’t the issue in my case - I rarely use it at all, have the setting set correctly for it not to wake the car, and haven’t used it (or even had a browser open on my computer) for several days.

@James@Tessie, I can’t monitor the network traffic to/from a particular device with my router unfortunately. I can report though, that the car is still largely doing the same thing (other than for a few hours it seemed to sleep continuously for the first time in a week or so since this all suddenly started). Firmware 2022.24.6 - which I installed two nights ago - didn’t seem to make any particular difference.

(aside: for those tuning in late and to save re-covering some ground, turning off Tessie monitoring didn’t make any difference, no other monitoring (or other connected apps) is running, I removed the Tesla widget from my phone Home Screen (just in case), nothing changed with the car/wifi/anything, but suddenly a week ago it started a wake/sleep cycle of (say) 30 minutes when it should be sleeping all night in the garage as it always has).

I am not sure how useful this graph from Tessie is for you James (your backend logs are likely better if you are interested in pursuing this at all - odds are it isn’t a Tessie issue at all, but rather some mothership change affecting some cars), but you can see the “interrupted sleep” when the car has been parked idle. Normally it has been “solid sleep” every night, just since about a week ago there has been this constant sleep/wake cycle, with last night being the first night in a week that the car seems to have had a continuous sleep for 7-8 hours.

View attachment 848983
I know of two causes to this:

1. Most common is a 12V battery issue. I know several other owners that have fixed this behavior with a new one.

2. I know of two owners that solved this after Tesla replaced HVAC components. Tesla found that it kept coming on in the background randomly and keeping the car awake.

Please send your account email to [email protected] so I can help further.

Well, I was monitoring network traffic when I had another sleep problem yesterday. It actually showed this pattern when Tessie was enabled, but flattened out as soon as Tessie was set to "Disable Vehicle Monitoring". I know I reported "no problem with Tessie", earlier in this thread, but this possibly shows the opposite.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpeg
    IMG_0398.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 55
Well, I was monitoring network traffic when I had another sleep problem yesterday. It actually showed this pattern when Tessie was enabled, but flattened out as soon as Tessie was set to "Disable Vehicle Monitoring". I know I reported "no problem with Tessie", earlier in this thread, but this possibly shows the opposite.
Interesting. When the car is asleep, the only thing Tessie does is ask Tesla which products are in your account. But that's happening every minute - not on this 30-60 minute interval. It's not talking to the car or getting data at all.

Judging from the widespread reports of sleep issues in other threads, I'm wondering if Tesla made a change - inadvertently, I'd assume - that wakes the car whenever the account is queried. That doesn't explain why most cars aren't affected though. Perhaps they're experimenting with some group of users before rolling something out to a wider audience.

Please send your account email to [email protected] so I can help further and we can try some new things.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Model 3 on 2022.20 for last 72 hours :

View attachment 849251

Pretty much the perfect uninterrupted sleep. Compare and contrast with a Model Y on 2022.24 :

View attachment 849241

Much more disturbed and thready. Two cars on the same Tessie account.
Nice insight!

So looks like something is changing between 2022.20 and 2022.24 for some cars. Looks an awful lot like a firmware bug. There's no reason for the car to wake up that often. Judging from reports in other forums and topics for TeslaMate and others, the timeline corresponds to big rollouts of these versions.

Nice insight!

So looks like something is changing between 2022.20 and 2022.24 for some cars. Looks an awful lot like a firmware bug. There's no reason for the car to wake up that often. Judging from reports in other forums and topics for TeslaMate and others, the timeline corresponds to big rollouts of these versions.
All insights courtesy of Tessie :)

I’ve rebooted the Model Y infotainment system just this moment and will see what happens overnight as the Y will charge tonight. The Model 3 will charge as well tonight from a lower SoC.

If it helps here are the last 7 days figures for both vehicles. The Model Y gets used more so is more often awake than the 3, but it used to charge and then sleep soundly after 15 minutes until 2022.24 hit.

Model 3 : great sleep all week

F7E85137-3B5B-405F-97AF-5CBA95A3ABC7.png

And our Model Y : but granted it is used more so looks less impressive! The periods of sleep from a week ago are much less broken up than since 2022.24 got installed.

781BB0EF-BCA8-465C-957D-F2AC29590C28.png

Let me know if it’ll help to drop my account email into support, happy to do so and have the available data used to support troubleshooting for anyone else.

All insights courtesy of Tessie :)

I’ve rebooted the Model Y infotainment system just this moment and will see what happens overnight as the Y will charge tonight. The Model 3 will charge as well tonight from a lower SoC.

If it helps here are the last 7 days figures for both vehicles. The Model Y gets used more so is more often awake than the 3, but it used to charge and then sleep soundly after 15 minutes until 2022.24 hit.

Model 3 : great sleep all week

View attachment 849255

And our Model Y : but granted it is used more so looks less impressive! The periods of sleep from a week ago are much less broken up than since 2022.24 got installed.

View attachment 849256

Let me know if it’ll help to drop my account email into support, happy to do so and have the available data used to support troubleshooting for anyone else.
This is super helpful. Yes, send your account email to support so I can look at the Model Y 2022.24 connection. We're all beholden to Tesla to fix firmware issues, but maybe there's something we can do as owners to help.

It's possible that these wakes are debug data uploads. Is Data Sharing disabled or enabled on these cars?

Last edited:
This is super helpful. Yes, send your account email to support so I can look at the Model Y 2022.24 connection. We're all beholden to Tesla to fix firmware issues, but maybe there's something we can do as owners to help.

It's possible that these wakes are debug data uploads. Is Safety & Security > Data Sharing disabled or enabled on these cars?
Data sharing is definitely enabled in the Model Y, I don’t know the setting of the Model 3 unfortunately (it’s my Dad’s vehicle, 2+ hours away)

I’ve emailed support, happy to help and thanks for looking into this! Am convinced it’s not Tessie at any fault here given the M3 results.