Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere I remember hearing that the initial rollout would be between the SF and LA corridor, to see how widely utilized battery swapping would be and to learn more about the customer usage model ... and if used, then other markets would be looked at.

I thought it was Elon, but I could be wrong.

I remember that too. I believe it was at the Germany event (or UK event). Elon Musk responded to a question regarding battery swapping in Germany. And, as Bonnie stated, the reply was there would be an initial rollout in the SF and LA corridor to evaluate the battery swapping application. Based on the tone and language Elon used, it appears Tesla does not plan on implementing battery swapping beyond SF and LA anytime soon.

People have been saying this about Tesla for years - since before the Roadster was launched. Their behavior today is nothing new.
I find that so odd. Yes, some things about the way they act at times are frustrating... But they are treating us so much better than any other car company... Go complain to BMW if next year's model has ten more horse power and ask for a free retrofit. Good luck with that.

My confidence in TM is quickly eroding.
Yea, me too. I can still recommend the car, but I'm having a hard time advocating for Tesla as a company. I simply can't trust anything they say. When they say "customers", I have no idea if I'm part of that or not. Either the ambiguity is intentional, which I consider somewhat evil, or it's unintentional in which case you can't put any trust in it anyway.

From now on, whenever Tesla talks about rolling out a software update to provide some feature to their "customers", I have no idea if I'm part of that or secretly excluded.

There is nothing that even assures I'll be able to use superchargers that are built in the future. Tesla could easily make ones that aren't backwards compatible with my older battery all under the same "we make advances" clause. And I'm sure some folks would show up here to defend Tesla by saying "When you bought the car, you only knew X superchargers were around, you've got no right to complain you can't use newer ones."

Somewhere I remember hearing that the initial rollout would be between the SF and LA corridor, to see how widely utilized battery swapping would be and to learn more about the customer usage model ... and if used, then other markets would be looked at.

I thought it was Elon, but I could be wrong.

I found it. It was at the UK store opening. Exact quote was, “The Model S was designed to permit battery-pack swapping and it’s now being tested in San Francisco and Los Angeles; if popular, Tesla will launch it in the UK too."

UK Tesla Details -- Tesla CEO Elon Musk Gives QA At Store Opening In London | CleanTechnica

How do you know that? Without purchasing a service plan, you have no contract with Tesla as to what's covered. You say that there is zero difference between those who pre-paid (have a contract with specific language with regard to what is covered, including hardware upgrades) and those who pay at the door. Those who don't have a pre-paid plan, can you point me to your contract that says you will get the same thing?

This is the same type of assumption that early VIN holders made about 120 kW supercharging capability. It's an assumption. Where is the actual written statement from Tesla? And don't point to the web site, because Tesla previously promised on their web site 4x USB, on-board music storage, lighted vanity mirrors, etc. And as we all know, specifications on the web site can change overnight. However, those of us with contracts have a specific commitment that cannot be changed.

Thanks for proving my point. Zero difference. Does your "contract" state exactly what tesla will upgrade for you? Didn't think so.
As far as 120 chargers as others have stated, until tesla changes their language on website and communications, all cars are capable of 120 superchargers. So either out an asterisk on the supercharger website or make it right for those of us that supported the company years before most of you even knew about the company.

Yea, me too. I can still recommend the car, but I'm having a hard time advocating for Tesla as a company. I simply can't trust anything they say. When they say "customers", I have no idea if I'm part of that or not. Either the ambiguity is intentional, which I consider somewhat evil, or it's unintentional in which case you can't put any trust in it anyway.

From now on, whenever Tesla talks about rolling out a software update to provide some feature to their "customers", I have no idea if I'm part of that or secretly excluded.

Why would a future announcement make you any less happy or satisfied with the car you currently own and enjoy? Nothing that might happen in the future should get in the way of enjoying your car today. In fact, weren't you enjoying your car just fine up until this whole 90 kW thing?

There is nothing that even assures I'll be able to use superchargers that are built in the future. Tesla could easily make ones that aren't backwards compatible with my older battery all under the same "we make advances" clause. And I'm sure some folks would show up here to defend Tesla by saying "When you bought the car, you only knew X superchargers were around, you've got no right to complain you can't use newer ones."

I don't mean to be picky here, but you do understand that the above is nothing more than a hypothetical straw man argument, don't you?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for proving my point. Zero difference. Does your "contract" state exactly what tesla will upgrade for you? Didn't think so.

I don't think you understand the point I'm making. I have a contract - in writing - saying that I will receive hardware upgrades as part of my pre-paid service plan. If you do not have a pre-paid service plan, you have no contract to point to saying that you will get hardware upgrades at all. I am not discussing what type of upgrade, I'm discussing the right to have any upgrades. You specifically stated that those who pay at the door will receive the same exact "hardware upgrades" as someone who has pre-paid and has a contract that says exactly that. Someone who has not purchased a service contract has no contract for hardware upgrades, that is exactly my point.

Last edited:
While the communication kind of sucks, the MVPA says this:

Vehicle Design. We reserve the right to change the design of any new vehicle, chassis, accessories, or parts at any time, without notice and without obligation to make the same or similar change upon the Vehicle, chassis, accessories or parts purchased by you under this Agreement.

so...the car is awesome either way. just sucks to see the changes in the newer cars that are for the better(not really. i am happy they are doing better). My car has chrome on the rear lift gate and the door leather is better than the new cars. (and the seating position is much better :tongue:) These things wont be changed to make the new cars match mine but years down the road I will probably want a new Battery pack, I am already down ~ 10% or more with my 90% charge @ 211 then my car will be just as good or better than the new cars IMO.

AmpedRealtor, I have repeated addressed your statements, such as "120kw didn't exist" and pointed at press releases by Tesla in Sept 2012 that talked about 120kw. I won't respond further and have blocked you. I find your posts relentlessly either hostile or intentionally obtuse and see no value in having them presented to me in the future.

I'm actually on your side, that's why I'm pushing for those with pre-paid service contracts to make an issue of this. I want you to get your 120 kW charging. I think maybe we are talking past each other. I am defending Tesla on the one hand because I feel that technically they have done nothing wrong. However, I also feel that given the vagueness of their communications they need to make things right. Clearly others also had the same understanding as you, so this is not something that is confined to a single situation.

However, my larger point is that the car and its capabilities will continue to evolve. We should not expect to be included in all of the future goodness.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the serial number section:
Serial.JPG

Here is a pic of the QR code section:
QR.JPG

I'm guessing the affected cars say "A" in the part number instead?

Also if swap stations happen, I'm guessing it would be reading the QR code which I decoded as:
ST13G0017819:1P1014114-00-B

Last edited:
Go complain to BMW if next year's model has ten more horse power and ask for a free retrofit. Good luck with that.

That's precisely the point we are all trying to make. There is a clear delineation between model years such that you know what the differences are and what the specs are of the product you are purchasing. Not so in Tesla's case.

I (incorrectly) assumed that all 85 kw batteries were created equal. Tesla compounded the problem by falsely claiming that 120 kw supercharging was purely a firmware driven change. If Model S 2.0 contains 200 kw supercharging I would absolutely have no problem with that because it was never promised to me.

And I'm sure some folks would show up here to defend Tesla by saying "When you bought the car, you only knew X superchargers were around, you've got no right to complain you can't use newer ones."

Yes, after seeing what's happened in this thread I have no doubt that you are absolutely correct.

Here's a pic of the serial number section:
View attachment 39325

Here is a pic of the QR code section:
View attachment 39326

Is this on the outside of the car? or under the carpet inside the car? I'd like to look at mine

- - - Updated - - -

I've been pondering something here.... let's say... I bought my car in January (or, received it January 2013). I didn't activate SC at the time of purchase... person B, bought their car in August... didn't activate either... NOW this January, we both decide to activate... and low and behold pay the same price to get Super Charging... but mine is slower?? huh?

Almost everything I've ever bought has a disclaimer "specifications subject to change without notice" - usually in association with words like "in association with our programme of continuous product improvement".

Funnilly enough, typing that phrase into google got me this as the top result:

Legal Disclaimer | Tesla Motors

Model S
The Model S is still undergoing engineering and development. Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice as we develop the Model S for production. All images of the Model S and its components and accessories are prototype images. The images may reflect optional equipment and are subject to change without notice. All information presented herein is based on preliminary data or design goals available at the time of posting and is subject to change without notice. Some equipment and/or features may be unavailable when the car enters production or when your car is built. Actual results of performance and other specifications may differ or vary with production models and may depend on selected options and trim levels.

I said it before and I'll say it again: When the car was first announced it was said to have 90-100 kW charging. We were all impressed by that. You would have been happy if they'd never announced 120 kW. Nothing has changed about the car you bought.

GM released some late 2012 year Volts with the 2013 pack that has 10% more range. I didn't get one. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure that pack differentiation is noted by using letters like A, B, C, D ect. Look at the battery serial tag.
The 2 packs in front of me at the time were in crates at a Tesla facility. I wasn't even considering looking for a crowbar to start opening things.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, I find nothing to disagree with in your post.

I said it before and I'll say it again: When the car was first announced it was said to have 90-100 kW charging. We were all impressed by that. You would have been happy if they'd never announced 120 kW. Nothing has changed about the car you bought.

Frankly, I've never been impressed with 90 kw supercharging. It never worked as advertised for me. Always takes about 38 minutes to add 150 miles of range contrary to TM's original claim in Sept 2012 of 30 minutes flat. I withheld my criticsm at the time because I was an early adopter and TM assured me supercharging would improve in future software releases. Well, that was a false statement.

I would be a much happier camper if Tesla would just give us the benefit of the improved taper curve.