Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On fence choosing between Model X and Mercedes GLS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@RajendraD - annual service cost for Tesla is 400-600/year. I am pretty sure MB is way above. When I had a Benz, the oil changes were about $300 each and the mileage based required services were approx $1000 each

Not sure how you're getting such high costs on the MB.
Prepaid Service on an MB GLS 550 is $1,475

Prepaid Service for the X is $2,100.

Not only is the MB service significantly cheaper, they actually do a fair bit as opposed to just changing the brake fluid and wiper blades.

Well then I stand corrected. When I owned a Benz, I don't remember having prepaid options like this. It does seem like MB has a pretty decently priced plan for four annual services. However, the MB prepaid plan covers only major annual service. Oil changes in between those will be extra cost.

Last edited:
Swerve back and forth in the Mercedes (try not to roll it), then do the same with the Model X. Cruise at 30 or 50 mph in the Mercedes and then floor the accelerator like you need to quickly speed up for a lane change. Then do it in the Model X. Most of us wouldn't drive the Mercedes if you gave it to us for free after living with a Tesla for a week.

For OP, if not all ready mentioned... NJ EV sales tax free on MX....
Yep, this is a huge savings. However keep in mind that gas in NJ is quite cheap and electricity is quite expensive so your gas savings number will be less than in other parts of the country.

Also of note is that NJ has excellent supercharger coverage, makes trips a breeze.

Sold a 1yo ML63 for Tesla and never looked back. It's just technologically light years ahead.

Blind spot warning is better on the Benz since it's at the eye level on mirrors but I can't imagine it being a deal breaker. Also, I think GLS may have more room in the 3rd row compared to the X. So, check that if it's important.

• Informative
Reactions: TonyFast43
@xkwizit I am not on fence between EV and ICE. EV is no doubt best for driving which I realised when I test drove it. My only concern is safety features like BSM, Pedestrian detection and auto braking. I am comparing those features. Tesla, no doubt is the safest vehicle when involved in crash . Question is, does it have the best technology to avoid accident. That is where I am on fense and seeking advice from current tesla owners.

Well, I have front collision warning on "early," and it will go off if you are approaching a slower car and not letting off the throttle. If you have cruise control on, of course it slows down for you. I find both of those to be very important safety features in the Model X. I don't see the point of pedestrian detection. The Merc doesn't have autopilot, which I also view as a huge safety benefit. I hate driving with my brother in his Audi, because I feel like he is all over the lane, and constantly distracted. When I get on the highway I turn autopilot on and the car stays centered better than most humans. I keep on eye on it, but data from Tesla already suggests a huge decline in accidents when using autopilot. Tesla will add more safety features over time that you will get as software updates. The Mercedes will never improve after you drive off the lot.

Blind spot warning is better on the Benz since it's at the eye level on mirrors but I can't imagine it being a deal breaker. Also, I think GLS may have more room in the 3rd row compared to the X. So, check that if it's important.
I was a bit confused when OP said the Model X is more spacious in 7 seating position. Have not been in either car, but judging by your comments the reviews I watched didn't deceive me then I guess. As far as storage goes the Model X is certainly superior, but the 3rd row looks to be more spacious in the GLS, especially that "claustrophobic" feeling some people report in the X does not exist. For small kids it might not matter, but if you care about 7 adults there seems to be a bit of a difference.

@xkwizit I am not on fence between EV and ICE. EV is no doubt best for driving which I realised when I test drove it. My only concern is safety features like BSM, Pedestrian detection and auto braking. I am comparing those features. Tesla, no doubt is the safest vehicle when involved in crash . Question is, does it have the best technology to avoid accident. That is where I am on fense and seeking advice from current tesla owners.
As far as safety goes. The Model X has one camera in the front wind-shield and the GLS seems to have a stereo camera. That's pretty important and was something people were hoping the facelift Model S would get, because it's necessary to get better depth perception and judge the distance. So that probably helps the GLS for things like AEB, but hard to tell how much.

Oh and one thing I find strange is that Tesla will disengages AEB if you hit the brakes, I don't think Mercedes does that. Not sure how much it matters in reality, but seems a bit weird.

Yep, this is a huge savings. However keep in mind that gas in NJ is quite cheap and electricity is quite expensive so your gas savings number will be less than in other parts of the country.

Also of note is that NJ has excellent supercharger coverage, makes trips a breeze.
Hey gas is going up in Jersey. Saw $2.38/gal in Warren county last week. The days of under $2 gas in Jersey seem to be over for now. Still cheaper than PA and of course they pump it for you. ;-)

Lots of SCs in North Jersey for sure. They are finally about to open one in Egg Harbor by the South Jersey shore and hopefully put one in South Jersey near Philly later this year.

And add the $300 oil changes every 4months and the $1000 service milestones every 6-8 months. The cost of owning an ICE is incremental. That's where the dealers make money not in selling a new car to you. That's why most of traditional dealers aren't interested in pushing EVs of their own brands as it doesn't get them the incremental revenues from service.

Interesting point, I was just at Pep Boys buying some parts for my VW TDI and I looked around and wondered if auto parts stores will have any future in an EV world? Other than buying fuzzy dice and floor mats, I can't imagine much use for these stores a couple decades down the road.

Not a huge thing, but in NJ, in addition to no sales tax, you also don't need inspections (AFAIK, you do in some states), discounted EZpass tolls, and HOV lanes.

ETA: if you use any tunnels, especially the Holland, the air is wonderfully improved with the HEPA filter.

Reactions: madodel
Interesting point, I was just at Pep Boys buying some parts for my VW TDI and I looked around and wondered if auto parts stores will have any future in an EV world? Other than buying fuzzy dice and floor mats, I can't imagine much use for these stores a couple decades down the road.

Interesting that you would ask. Please count the number of replacements in Edmunds' long term road test of 2013 Model S, and let me know if you can count them with your fingers, or you needed to use your toes too. All within 1 year and 30,000 miles, on the same car. Pepboys will have plenty to sell, if Tesla won't monopolize its parts & service business. Pepboys must be salivating for the ModelX business, I'm sure.

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds.com
Edmunds' long term road test of 2013 Model S (30000 miles said:
Problem Repair Cost
Suspicious noise Replace first drive unit Warranty
Car died roadside Replace second drive unit Warranty
Suspicious noise Replace third drive unit and ride height sensor Warranty
Car died roadside Replace main battery Warranty
Touchscreen froze Replace main display screen Warranty
Optional 21-inch rear tires worn to cords prematurely Replace rear tires and fix alignment Warranty
Car died roadside Replace 12-volt battery and cables Warranty
Steering wheel creak Shim and torque sub-frame bolts Warranty
Odd noise from undercarriage Rerouted logic harnesses per TSB Warranty
Sunroof will not work Replace broken sunroof deflector Warranty
Driver door opens automatically Replace driver door handle mechanism Warranty
Recall issued Battery shield kit installed Warranty
TSB issued Inspect joints for all lower control arm washers Warranty
TSB issued Update firmware to version 5.8.4 Warranty
TSB issued Update firmware to version 5.11 Warranty
TSB issued Replace front bumper carrier bolts Warranty
TSB issued Install rear upper camber bolts Warranty
TSB issued Replace side motor mount Warranty
TSB issued Replace front floor mats, install rear floor mats Warranty
Left radiator shutter faulty Replace center louvers Warranty
Lug nuts beginning to swell Replace all 20 lug nuts Warranty
Cracked vanity mirror hinge Replace cracked vanity mirror hinge Goodwill
Humming noise at start-up Install AC compressor NVH cover Goodwill
Vanity mirror hinge cracked Replace missing charge cord trim piece Goodwill
Touchscreen froze Manual reset (required 9 times during test) None
Windows lowered automatically Unresolved, happened twice None
TPMS confused Unresolved, happened once None
Condensation in taillight Unresolved prior to sale None

Last edited:
Interesting that you would ask. Please count the number of replacements in Edmunds' long term road test of 2013 Model S, and let me know if you can count them with your fingers, or you needed to use your toes too. All within 1 year and 30,000 miles, on the same car. Pepboys will have plenty to sell, if Tesla won't monopolize its parts market. Pepboys must be salivating for the ModelX business, I'm sure.

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds.com

Granted 2013 is a long time ago (Precambrian time in regards to Tesla). My understanding is the initial ramp of Model S had some significant issues, but they are largely resolved now. Same issue with MX, but to a lesser degree. And, it is also my understanding that Tesla has been fairly responsive in making repairs at no cost to the owner (so no parts store needed). In relation to parts stores and their future usefulness, its hard to imagine EV's needing the same level of parts/fluids/filters replacement as ICE cars. Just sayin'....

Granted 2013 is a long time ago (Precambrian time in regards to Tesla). My understanding is the initial ramp of Model S had some significant issues, but they are largely resolved now. Same issue with MX, but to a lesser degree. And, it is also my understanding that Tesla has been fairly responsive in making repairs at no cost to the owner (so no parts store needed). In relation to parts stores and their future usefulness, its hard to imagine EV's needing the same level of parts/fluids/filters replacement as ICE cars. Just sayin'....

Surely, the current 3-6 month wait times for service of Model S in Norway is a soild proof of rapid improvement in quality and reliability.

In general, there is not much difference between EV and ICE cars, other than the radiator and engine block. But now, you have to worry about the longevity of battery and range loss over the years, and motors. The battery stil needs cooling and heating. How often do we replace engine blocks in an ICE? The cost of an oil change is no more than $40 at the corner gas stations, and once a year is enough for most new cars. On top of that, OEM parts and repair manuals are available. Tesla holds its records close to its chest, so we will never know its full story on this.

In short, this is too early to draw any conclusion. If resale value is any indicator of long term repair costs and maintainability, then it doesn't look so good.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: xkwizit
Yeah, Mercedes might be slightly ahead of Tesla with a few active safety features. But (I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this was mentioned already) the Model X gets over-the-air updates so these features will only be getting better and more reliable. If I was sitting on the fence between a Tesla and anything else ... I'd take the Tesla. :)

Reactions: madodel